The Elder Scrolls - Game Comparison

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Candyland has made a video in which the graphics of the games in The Elder Scrolls series are compared.

We compare the graphics of The Elder Scrolls Series – this video only covers the main parts of The Elder Scrolls Series: Arena Daggerfall Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim. Arena and Daggerfall are available for free. It requires you to install a DOS emulator such as DOSBox, which we used for this video.

Thanks Couch.

More information.

For me, Morrowind was the point where the game became visually attractive enough to make me want to stop and enjoy the scenery. Every improvement since then has just been to enhance the experience, although the look of the flowing rivers in Skyrim was a definite step up. Perhaps the next visual level will be to add real wave motion and crashing surf to the water bodies? How about dynamic terrain, including avalanches, tumbling boulders, mud slides, active volcanoes, and falling trees? Perhaps seasonal changes to the foliage and ground?

For a future game I would settle for Morrowind graphics combined with some astonishing leap forward in AI. :) But the pretties are of course much easier to enhance than AI. I feel like everything ground to a halt after Oblivion.

I would also prefer an improvement to the scale of the game world. Even Fallout 4 is still way too densely arranged and so fakey.

God I loved Morrowind. I've never known a game feel so magical and immersive. The combat's too dated now, but it was just such a superbly crafted game that it sucked you in thoroughly.

Yes, the big jump in graphics was from Daggerfall to Morrowind, almost like there should be a game in between them.

Yes, the big jump in graphics was from Daggerfall to Morrowind, almost like there should be a game in between them.

There were TES games between them. Redguard and Battlespire. They certainly look much better than Daggerfall. Redguard is even Glide accelerated.

Unfortunately neither game was successful and Bethesda almost imploded. They reinvented themselves with Morrowind and it saved the day. The popular Xbox port helped with that too.

I started playing Redguard and enjoyed it. But after a bit the wonky controls just got too tiresome, sadly. Didn't get very far. Last year was unique in there were a couple of games that I didn't finish. It's probably no coincidence that they were old and had wonky controls.

- Redguard
- Jagged Alliance 2 (random UI crashes of non-responsiveness requiring a save, restart game, and load).

Back
Top Bottom