Steam problem

bloodlover

Sentinel
I'm new to Steam and I made an account just because I won a key for Krater. I installed Steam, made a new account and downloaded the game. Everything's fine except I can't start the game. Nothing happens when I press Play in Steam.

Is there a problem with Steam or I did something wrong during the installation?

I can't see you have done anything wrong. I use Steam regularly and haven't experienced anything like this. Only advise I can give you, besides trying contacting Steam support, is to verify the download. Right click on the game title -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify integrity of game cache...
If that doesn't work try Delete local game content... from the same tab and reinstall.

Do you have a desktop symbol for that game ? Try to start it from there - and make sure the firewall doesn't block you.

Nothing happens when I try to launch from exe.

I went to Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and launched the game for there but I get an error: The procedure entry point SymGetLineFromAddrW64 could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll

The Games For Windows Live client. And I really doubt Krater needs that or else Steam would start the installer when you launch the game. That response is kinda why you don't go to an unrelated forum for tech support.

Anyhow, I tried this out. I just reinstalled Windows and don't have GFWL installed yet so if that's the problem, I'd get the same error. I don't. I did just get an error saying "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again another time." and verifying the cache started a big download. I'll try again in a moment when it's done.

edit: Okay, re-download completed. I went to launch the game, no problems here. I doubt Steam support will be any help in this matter as the problem has nothing to do with Steam and everything to do with the game. You realize that this is an Alpha right? And therefore prone to crazy problems? How about you ask on the Fatshark forums? http://forums.fatshark.se/ Or maybe check their threads? I see a number of topics about the game failing to launch. If you can't find an answer, try posting a thread there and asking the developers. Y'know. The thing you'd do for any broken game.

I think I re-downloaded the game 3 times already so that's not the problem.

Anyway, I found out what's the problem: the game won't run on WinXP. Well f**k. I'll install it on my laptop when I get near a hotspot since I have Win7 there.

Thx for the replies. The topic can be closed now.

There are games that won't run on XP ? That's new to me.
Would you mind giving away the name ?

There are games that won't run on XP ? That's new to me.
Would you mind giving away the name ?

There are a handful, but most games are still Win XP compatible. Halo 2, Shadowrun (the horrible FPS), Sword of the stars 2, a space indie game that I've forgot the name of and probably a handful of others, but I don't think we will see developers abandon WinXP on mass until the next console generation.

Well, games that don't support versions of DirectX prior to DirectX10 won't run on XP. Battlefield 3 for instance.

Okay, thanks.

do yourself a favor and get Windows 7 :) Looking at the direction Microsoft is going, looks like W7 is the new Win XP (i.e. the last good OS for a long while)

I don't know if my PC is good nough for that.
My "gaming PC" perhaps, but not my regular one.

do yourself a favor and get Windows 7 :) Looking at the direction Microsoft is going, looks like W7 is the new Win XP (i.e. the last good OS for a long while)

I guess that windows is like Star Trek movies, every other one is good, the remaining trash(?).

pibbur who is not a trekkie

Back
Top Bottom