Diablo 3 - Confirmed in Paris

those choices of change are easier to make when all the pains, rewards, and insights of prior designs were made by different people. even blizzard will suffer a bit due to the fact that they've had an exodus of so many key designers. i'm sure mike morhaine has the best job security in the industry.

i watched the cinimatic and am very underwhelmed.
i also watched the the starcraft ghost trailer which i'd never seen before. a damn shame they abandonded that game twice as i might have bought a console just to play it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVsTrLW_04U&feature=related

Tbh, I found Diablo ony a so-so kinda game. As hardcore roleplayer it was the betrayal of all that rpgs were meant to be, and unlike the many who are deluded to think of Diablo as "savior" of RPGs I think it was Baldurs Gate who deserves that title. Fast paced, mindless hack and slay... sheesh no thanks.

The fact that they seem to be morphing all their games art design to the Warcraft caricature style is a little disappointing and maybe the fact they aren't broadening their crop of genres much isn't the most exciting but I'm not sure if that is what the fans of these existing games really want.

With regards to Ghost they did say that they were considering the current gen of consoles for the game but I have a feeling that they have turned to making something like a Starcraft MMO since then. Even so, a stealth shooter is hardly some kind of new genre or gameplay experience.

I want a strong single-player experience or I won't even consider it.

Then I wouldn't recommend any incarnation of Diablo, which was never about single-player as far as I'm concerned. It's all about multi-player - collecting items, character building and comparing those things to your companions.

I found single-player in Diablo 1 and 2 mildly amusing but ultimately boring. However, multi-player with some friends: spectacular. Diablo 1+2 were incredibly fun as Co-Op games.

Between Diablo III, Fallout III, Gothic IV and Dungeon Lords 2 I don’t know what to do with myself. I might as well just lie down and die, because one fragile being can’t contain the wake of such massive excitement.

woges that doesn't really make sense though since fallout is not bethesdas franchise as diablo is blizzards.

I think you missed the point.

A-RPGs are so to say "the king of the road" nowadays, so everyone would wish someone would make an A-RPG out of a certain franchise ...

Then I wouldn't recommend any incarnation of Diablo, which was never about single-player as far as I'm concerned. It's all about multi-player - collecting items, character building and comparing those things to your companions.

I found single-player in Diablo 1 and 2 mildly amusing but ultimately boring. However, multi-player with some friends: spectacular. Diablo 1+2 were incredibly fun as Co-Op games.

Which adds to the "you can't pirate community" thesis.

I deffinately know that this game is not my cup of tea. As soon as they adviced it as a mouse only game, the ISO view and the old graphics, it reminded me of NWN -> not the right game for me unless I played it with Cm, Corwin and some others like Taxen, Peter, JM, ... Sadly I can't stay awake on those inhumane hours (2-5am)

It uses the good and old isometric camera. I was a bit worried that the game uses third person camera or it would be an MMORPG. Good old Diablo is back. Rejoice!!!

The fact that they seem to be morphing all their games art design to the Warcraft caricature style is a little disappointing

I'm a bit disappointed by this art direction change too. From what I can see this new style doesn't really live up to the setting description on their site.

"The game takes place on Sanctuary, a world of dark fantasy."

@Arhu: I agree Diablo shines as a co-op game, and Battle.net is a great example of competent free servers, but I played 90% of my Diablo hours single player--with mules and trainers and what some might call cheats to add that aspect which is lacking in SP of being able to do item runs with proficiency, have multiple characters sharing items, use runewords and so forth.

I agree without that sp is fairly limited. :)

Wow, based on the game play demo, they've been working on this for quite a while and its already pretty far along in its development. I'm looking forward to this game quite a bit; it's not for everyone, though. More of a action 'Hack' type game than CRPG, but there's lot's of loot in some pretty cool settings, though, which I enjoy from time to time.

How did I know people on this site were going to dog what will be a polished, fun, and extremely successful game...

Because some people don't enjoy seeing the same old rehashed themes over and over again? Imagine if that was all game companies churned out...Diablo clones. What a horrible thought.
'And now be bring you "Attack of the Diablo Clones II!" '
The only thing to differentiate this from similar games would seem to be the Diablo(TM) brand. I will probably play this anyway, but I don't view it as the Second (or Third) Coming. Also the visuals look really similar to DS2 - well looking at those preliminary pics. I suspect the choice of camera angle is more about geometry culling/detail management than preserving the isometric feel ;)

The new art style is awful. The right photoshopped pic is maybe a little overly drab, but Diablo should look dark, gritty and demonic, not like a children's theme park ride.

1214657022122wu5.jpg

I found it in the Codex Diablo 3 thread.

Maybe it IS an children's park ride now ? ;)

But I agree that the darker picture looks a bit better - athmosphere-wise.

See, that was the big change from Diablo to Diablo II, for me. I loved the original and thought it was a complete single-player action/RPG with an beautifully atmospheric setting.

It was Diablo II that morphed into an online game with a tacked-on solo aspect.

I'm pleased it seems a genuine continuation of Diablo rather than MMORPG.

See, that was the big change from Diablo to Diablo II, for me. I loved the original and thought it was a complete single-player action/RPG with an beautifully atmospheric setting.

Alright, I have to admit that I never actually tried playing Diablo single-player. Not seriously anyway. The game came out during my "LAN party" days, and it was great fun. Hence I was never aware of that big change in Diablo II you describe.

As for the screenshot above.. yeah, the photoshopped one looks better. But what may be even more important is the music, hopefully they can go back to something more akin to Diablo in that regard. Particularly the Tristram theme...

Well Matt Uelmen was apparently on stage with a 12 string playing the theme just before the announcement - or even as the announcement really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom