Drakensang Questions about TDE rules

As a TDE veteran I thought I would open a thread to gather and answer questions you might have about the rule system in Drakensang.

I don't remember reading anything about it in the manuals or tutorials. Is there a benefit in the game from positional fighting? (flanking, attacking from behind, etc)? The only thing I've read is how you can only parry one attack (or 2 with a shield), but no mention of bonuses if you attack from behind.

Attacks from behind cannot be parried.

Thanks. Also, when using plant lore to gather plants, it says something like 'difficulty added 4' or '3'. What's that? Is that a random thing or am I missing a tool or something?

You are missing a tool. It's the same thing when try to pick locks with your bare hand. So once you have a tool, keep it in a quickslot, then when you see a plant, klick on the tool and on the plant.

Thanks. Also, when using plant lore to gather plants, it says something like 'difficulty added 4' or '3'. What's that? Is that a random thing or am I missing a tool or something?

Every kind of plant has a certain difficulty associated with it, this difficulty will be subtracted from your Plant Lore talent prowess prior to the check. This makes different plants easier or harder to pick.

The same applies to different locks, animals, artifacts to be identified via magic lore, etc.

There are tools for plant lore, animal lore, etc. later in the game, but unlike lockpicking they only bestow a bonus, not using tools is not further penalized (only for lockpicking).

You are missing a tool. It's the same thing when try to pick locks with your bare hand. So once you have a tool, keep it in a quickslot, then when you see a plant, klick on the tool and on the plant.

Sorry, but you are wrong.
Lack of tools for everything but lockpicking does not penalize you, the tools just add a bonus.

Further lockpicks and hairpins are the only tools you have to use manually (via quickslot bar), every tool that bestows a permanent bonus (meaning, it is not used up after use) works automatically from the backpack when attempting the associated task.

Short explanation of "difficulty added" means in TDE: Generally in this game, the lower you roll your D20, the better. You usually need to be lower than a certain value to succeed. So if your Intelligence is 12, you need to roll 12 or lower to succeed in a standard check. If difficulty is added, the value is added to the number you roll. So if you roll a 10, but the check is +4, your 10 becomes 14. In case of an intelligence check, it would mean that you failed.

It is a bit more complex for skill checks (as opposed to the attribute check above), but the principle is the same. I don't know how elaborate the manual is, but if you want me to explain skill checks, just ask.

Sorry, but you are wrong.
Lack of tools for everything but lockpicking does not penalize you, the tools just add a bonus.

Further lockpicks and hairpins are the only tools you have to use manually (via quickslot bar), every tool that bestows a permanent bonus (meaning, it is not used up after use) works automatically from the backpack when attempting the associated task.

Forgot about the first point, never knew about the second :) Good that there are others here who can help out.

Short explanation of "difficulty added" means in TDE: Generally in this game, the lower you roll your D20, the better. You usually need to be lower than a certain value to succeed. So if your Intelligence is 12, you need to roll 12 or lower to succeed in a standard check. If difficulty is added, the value is added to the number you roll. So if you roll a 10, but the check is +4, your 10 becomes 14. In case of an intelligence check, it would mean that you failed. It is a bit more complex for skill checks (as opposed to the attribute check above), but the principle is the same. I don't know how elaborate the manual is, but if you want me to explain skill checks, just ask.
I posted something about this on the official forums, which are unfortunately down. As soon as they are up again, I will copy-paste it here. PS: As far as I remember there are no (or at least nearly no) direct attribute checks in the game, which is a bit unfortunate, because it makes the price for attribute increases much too steep (unless later in the game or if you require certain attributes for special abilities).

EDIT: Here is a little explanation of the talent check process:
http://www.chromatrix.com/html/talents.html

Note: As far as I have noticed, the EEC (effective encumbrance) rules do not affect normal talents like sneaking, only combat talents (that is your values with a certain type of weapon), in Drakensang. At least the console output doesn't change whether you attempt pickpocketing with 0 encumbrance or 5 encumbrance.

One question I had: Do you know if the amount of skill points you gain for cetain encounters and quests is similar to what you would get in the pen&paper version?
I didn't pay much attention to that, but I had the feeling that the fact that you get the same amount of skill points. Since zou have less skills in the CRPG than in the P&PRPG, this results in you reaching high proficiency much faster. You just don't have that many choices. In the pen&paper game it was extremely rare that I had 18 or so in a skill. In Drakensang it is much more common.

One question I had: Do you know if the amount of skill points you gain for cetain encounters and quests is similar to what you would get in the pen&paper version? I didn't pay much attention to that, but I had the feeling that the fact that you get the same amount of skill points. Since zou have less skills in the CRPG than in the P&PRPG, this results in you reaching high proficiency much faster. You just don't have that many choices. In the pen&paper game it was extremely rare that I had 18 or so in a skill. In Drakensang it is much more common.
I never played PnP DSA (= TDE in English), although I have some 3rd edition rule books from someone who did not needed them anymore (and of course the 4th ed. basic rules on the German Drakensang DVD) and read them with pleasure. However, many people on the official forums noted, that in PnP one normally retires around level 12 or so. As you will reach a higher level in Drakensang, while having significantly less skills, special abilities and spells to choose from, that indeed leads to half-maxed-out jacks-of-all-trades by the late game, unfortunately.

EDIT: But we should stop the discussion here, otherwise we'll turn your fine "newbie" (no offence meant) help thread into an insider discussion thread and spark more confusion than clarification. *g*

I appreciate all of the cool info, but not finding it necessary to play and enjoy the game, fortunately!

I appreciate all of the cool info, but not finding it necessary to play and enjoy the game, fortunately!

Yes, of course "the higher the skill value, the more I succeed" is a fairly good approximation. *g*
It's just for guys like me, who love to dive deep into the game mechanics.

Actually, if you know the mechanics all to well, it often gets too easy anyway. So have fun on your trial-and-error first playthrough (after all, some of the fun of games actually comes from these trial-and-error experiences).

Nonetheless, I'm always ready to answer more of your questions.

That reminds me of the first time I played Baldur's Gate. I had never played pen&paper D&D, and I had to look up the meaning of a few words (IE. THACO), but it only made the experience more interesting.

That reminds me of the first time I played Baldur's Gate. I had never played pen&paper D&D, and I had to look up the meaning of a few words (IE. THACO), but it only made the experience more interesting.

Some of the old D&D lingo is just nutty, especially explaining it to my kids who have just played 4th Ed. stuff ...

Advice on character development, please. I'm not a min/maxer but I'd like some frame of reference. How often do you increase primary stats (strength etc)? If I increase my 2-handed axe from 8 to 9, is that a tiny or significant increase? What would be considered a good value for the primary weapon of a starting character and what should it be by the end of the game (ie, the before mentioned axe)? What about crafting skills?

Thanks. :)

If you increase any combat ability by 1, your chances of either attacking or parrying an attack (you can choose) rise by 5%. 8 or 9 for level 1 is very decent.

You will raise attributes less often than skills. Raising attributes benefits every skill that checks on this attribute, that inckudes your basic value of attacking/parrying. Others might want to elaborate on this.

Also, is experiance shared among party members or not? I mean, will I get more exp with fewer party members, or should I go all out and get all four as soon as possible?

Back
Top Bottom