Forgotten Games

I've been thinking of trying out GameTap. Wouldn't work for me for BG since I like the mods, but maybe for PS:T

Won't work for PS:T either, if GameTap games can't be modded(?),
the unofficial fix pack is essential, and the restoration pak is nice too.

What is GameTap, actually ?

GameTap (check out http://www.gametap.com for info) is a site that hosts games that you can install and play as part of an annual subscription service. They are first to get the new Sam & Max games, and get many new games within weeks of release, and also have hundreds of classic games from arcades, old consoles and old systems like the C-64.

As Zakhary said, you cannot mod *any* of their games - or even access the saves. That is because they set up virtual spaces on your system for the installs (must be required as part of contracts with publishers).

So if you can't access any saves, how do you play a game like Ps:T or BG?

I mean I've pulled a few all nighters with games but that would take several days straight!

Thanks for the information, txa.

What I meant is that you can't manually back up your saves or anything like that. You still have save slots and otherwise everything is just like the regular game, but I personally like to have portable saves to play across machines.

I think I spent WEEKS with Birthright's demo - a unique game; pity there was no way to get the full version in Poland by that time.

Hell, I have a Baldur's Gate 2 game going even now. Perhaps I can even get into it this time around.

By the way: why is it that Baldur's Gate rarely rates a mention, while BG2 is recalled so much more often? Because of this perception, I haven't even bothered with BG(1). Is it really so much less than its sequel?

Mainly because there is less NPC interactions. You just carry NPCs around so they prevent you from taking damage. hell, for me, they were just what I'd call "meat shields". By the time I've reached the iron mine most of my party members were dead (Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar and Imoen died so I got Minsc, Edwin, Garrick and Gavin(mod)).

I didn't really get attached to NPCs like I did in bg2. But some ppl like BG1 better because it's a bit less linear than BG2.

Also, journal system was sh*t. You never know which quest you've finished etc. And HORRIBLE resolution. I can never bring myself to play BG1 unless I have easy tutu installed.

Of course making a Top Ten means a lot is not mentioned. Also, please take the title "Forgotten" not so literally. ;) Its just an eye catcher, but all these games did have something that I feel was either lost or abandoned or not built on. They and others mentioned here had something which I strongly feel todays games mostly lost. I cant always 100% say what it was.

I DEFINITELY miss the "invisible" party in 3d like Might and Magic & Wizardry. Generally, alas we have seen a great decline of games with a party, or we have only very few.

I loved those meaningful, longterm party members, like from Ultima, which you saw again in almost every new installation. KOTOR has built on that, which is why I loved KOTOR despite its several other shortcomings.

Btw, I STILL have my Ambermoon poster on my wardrobe after I dunno how many years, heh. ;)

1st person, party-based may be dead, but it's certainly not forgotten by us, right? M&M and Wiz did it very well, and it's a shame nobody is following that path anymore.

Mainly because there is less NPC interactions. You just carry NPCs around so they prevent you from taking damage. hell, for me, they were just what I'd call "meat shields". By the time I've reached the iron mine most of my party members were dead (Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar and Imoen died so I got Minsc, Edwin, Garrick and Gavin(mod)).

I didn't really get attached to NPCs like I did in bg2. But some ppl like BG1 better because it's a bit less linear than BG2.

Also, journal system was sh*t. You never know which quest you've finished etc. And HORRIBLE resolution. I can never bring myself to play BG1 unless I have easy tutu installed.

Also the load times were ungodly--similar to the complaints about the Witcher--whenever you had to cross from one side of Baldur's Gate to another--and you had to do it a LOT-- there was a five minute(or so it seemed) load. This may not be a factor now, though.

I liked the quests, NPCs and storyline quite a bit more in BG2, and it's just a more modern game--even though I've never finished it. :)

Please,don't forget bards tale and eye of the beholder.Creating your own maps with a pencil?*sigh*

Forgotten great CRPG/CRPG-lites:

Black Crypt
Captive
Xenomorph
Lords of Chaos
MechForce
Realms of the Haunting
Buck Rogers

If I don't forget, then it won't be a Forgotten Game!! :) Most of those last two posts, I don't really know.

whenever you had to cross from one side of Baldur's Gate to another--and you had to do it a LOT-- there was a five minute(or so it seemed) load. This may not be a factor now, though.

Aaah, the good old days when games came on 5+ CDs, and you had to swap between them for level transitions...

I was fortunate enough that I had a big enough hard drive to just install the entire thing, so you only had to have the boot disk. But it did take a long time to load between areas, though I think NWN2 is worse.

Wanna talk about a "forgotten game"... try The Magic Candle. In many ways it was a copycat of the early Ultimas... but at the same time it was quite innovative. You could split up your party and have one character get a job to earn money. You would leave him in the town and go do your thing with the rest of the party while he earned some cash. There were a lot of little things like that... and I loved that game... (gotta play it again soon :))

So, if BG did this, you're saying I could leave Khalid in the iron mines to toil AND get paid for it? Man, that's a great idea.

Heck, it would be a great innovation if you could play an evil character and sell some of your party members into slavery now and then!

So, if BG did this, you're saying I could leave Khalid in the iron mines to toil AND get paid for it? Man, that's a great idea.

Hehe... Yeah... that was a great feature of Magic Candle. As a matter of fact you had to split your party up quite often and have them completing different jobs simultaneously if you expected to finish the game.

Back
Top Bottom