Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

So ... why did this have to turn into a competition anyway?

Because I am a jerk and an übergeek. :)

Does that mean you have to be right and get in the last word on technical stuff ... ?

Personally, bickering about which of those two is better is like arguing about which bottle of wine to have on the titanic ...

.. And the only NPCs I remember from PS:T are Morte, the flaming guy, the armor, the angel and the githyanki, while I remember every single one in BG2, what's your point? And yes, I have played through both games many times.

I still say it depends on point of view and taste, there is no "better game" of the two, they are different and have different strengths and weaknesses. I prefer BG2, you prefer PS:T, it's as simple as that.

.. And the only NPCs I remember from PS:T are Morte, the flaming guy, the armor, the angel and the githyanki, while I remember every single one in BG2, what's your point? And yes, I have played through both games many times.

I still say it depends on point of view and taste, there is no "better game" of the two, they are different and have different strengths and weaknesses. I prefer BG2, you prefer PS:T, it's as simple as that.

I prefer both as well as Fallout and Fallout 2.

The Icewind Dale games are great. I really loved Heart of Winter. They are actually great to play in multiplayer as well. They are more focused on dungeonbashing than story however.

Yeah, I was toying with the idea of playing through it with a friend online. Is it reasonable to do this if you have never played any of the games before? (And is there any reason I should steer clear of multi-player Icewind Dale 1, instead going straight to Icewind Dale 2?)

Damn, now I'm offline in my own thread. :(

Bah, I have a problem with the slaver quest in the boat at the slum district. Maybe it's a known bug, or something? The thing is, I've cleared the entire boat and I got the key of the door to the last room with some trolls in it. Problem is, I can't enter it! It looks like there is a dead body stuck in the door opening, or something. The door is opened, but I can't close it again and the game can't find a path through the door. :(

Is there a solution to this?

There were more (amount) thanks to the Infinity engine's ability to create new Dungeons & Dragons items, but there were few items that was unique, original and had their own unique function unlike any other. In PS:T there were loads of items that had their own code written for them, items that had to be unlocked, that could be improved multiple times, wierd items, where BG2 just had the common stuff. The only unique item I remember from BG2 was the talking sword.
Same thing with the companions. The only ones I remember the full story for in BG2 was Minsc, Jaheira Keldorn and Imoen. In PS:T each character had a dark secret that would reveal itself in time, a massive long storyline, "unlocks" that could improve them and an unique race and finally custom coded functions that only that companion would be able to use.

So the only thing BG2 have over PS:T really is quantity of loot/cannonfodder but not the depth of items/npc's. That does not make it a bad game, it's just one step behind.

JemyM,
You can argue until you're blue in the face, but don't try to bend your words now and change the subject. We weren't talking about "depth" of anything. we were talking about the variety of items, pure and simple. Yes, PST has lots of items that could be considered "weird" and "unique", but that has nothing to do with variety.

As far as BG2 being a "step behind", you're welcome to your opinion, as that's all it is.

You can teleport your Party to wherever you point your Mouse with a clua_console-cheat...

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/cheats.php

Hey, thanks. This was apparently a bug, because I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to go through that open door. The trolls couldn't pass it neither and no walkthrough said anything about having to do something else in that room. I don't like using cheats, but it's better than being unable to finish that quest.

Yeah, I was toying with the idea of playing through it with a friend online. Is it reasonable to do this if you have never played any of the games before? (And is there any reason I should steer clear of multi-player Icewind Dale 1, instead going straight to Icewind Dale 2?)

Damn, now I'm offline in my own thread. :(

It's a matter of taste. IWD 2 has 3rd edition rules (a la neverwinter nights) and somewhat better puzzles and storyline. I had great fun playing both with my girlfriend, with a slight edge for the first one (the second one gets annoying as you at some point dont get XP for killing certain enemies due to XP reward scaling).

If you both have experience of the BG games it might be worth it to play IWD 1 at a higher difficulty level (not at the very highest though). Enemies do extra damage but XP comes in much faster. It also makes you appreciate spells more...

Character building and tactical combat is what is fun in the games.

Sounds great! We were thinking of doing NWN2 online, but I'm having more of a thing for doing Icewind Dale 1 now. Also a lot cheaper (if he doesn't have a copy yet). I'm hooked on the Infinity Engine currently anyway. :D

My Infinity awards:

Planscape Torment: best story and characters
BG2: best all in all gameplay
IWD2: most funny character development and highest replayability

Thaurin: Make sure you pick up the heart of winter expansion and the free Trials of the luremaster expansion. Heart of winter is quite short, but together they add quite a bit of gameplay... The expansion also makes bards A LOT more viable:)

I'm playing through the BG trilogy with my gf with the Unfinished business mod. Since I dislike micromanagement I never quite got used to mage management in BG2 and only had the mages cast buffs and protection removers, but this time we are using two (my gfs F3/Mage and the unforgettable Edwin). How would you guys go about getting the most out of them?

We'd like to use our melee characters (Annoyman, Korgan, and a buffed up Viconia edited to at least have more HP than Edwin) as screens protecting the mages. My gf wants to do summoning and damage dealing spells since we had fun with those in BG1, but I dont think that will be an effective strategy.

You get some pretty nasty summoning spells in BG2, and I use them a lot (especially summon planetar later on). Also, as soon as you get chain lightning, finger of death, and later the horrid wilting, mages can do amazing damage.

Back
Top Bottom