Deathspank - Coming to Steam

At last EA gave up their idiotic stubborness and decide to release it to the platform where it always should be. Good news indeed and a surprise for me.

The question is whether this will be a bad port. For example, if it doesn't allow you to control Deathspank using the mouse (like Diablo), playing this game on PC will feel very unnatural.

Given the design of the game, it might feel more unnatural with a mouse. In addition to the scrolling world, the gameplay relies on having four weapons equipped at once. They'd have to either put two on the mouse buttons and two on the keyboard or perhaps use a toggle to select which two weapons are tied to the mouse buttons. Either way, it seems like it would play better with just the keyboard or a gamepad.

Hope you guys enjoy it. I enjoyed it a lot at first myself, but I grew tired of it after a few hours, as I usually do with hack & slash type games. It has a nice art style, that's for sure.

Given the design of the game, it might feel more unnatural with a mouse. In addition to the scrolling world, the gameplay relies on having four weapons equipped at once. They'd have to either put two on the mouse buttons and two on the keyboard or perhaps use a toggle to select which two weapons are tied to the mouse buttons. Either way, it seems like it would play better with just the keyboard or a gamepad.

Good point. Still, I wonder if PC gamers will resist playing this type of game without a "click-to-move" interface.

I'm resisting this game because of the reviews for it. I was excited when I heard that Ron Gilbert was doing this, but it doesn't sound like something that would interest me. Toilet humor stopped being funny around the third grade.

Eurogamer Review:

It's perhaps a bit more base than people might expect, coming from Ron Gilbert. Monkey Island was irreverent, and often less than conceptual in its humour, but it never really resorted to full-on toilet antics. Conversely, DeathSpank revels in the smuttiness of its approach, and it's this which seems likely to divide its potential audience.

Yeah, the humor isn't what I'd call sophisticated or subtle.

Now if only Tim Schafer would come back to the PC. I hope Gilbert's joining Double Fine doesn't mean less Gilbert on PC (although I agree with the commenters above that I hope the humor is MI-licious and not eye-rollingly crude).

I wouldn't describe the humor as predominantly toilet. It's mostly just silly adolescent stuff. Not particularly clever or hilarious, but it's not constant fart and poop jokes, either.

Back
Top Bottom