Dark Souls - Review Roundup # 3

All over the internet people comment how strange it is the game wasn't optimized for the PC at all or it's a bad PC port.

It's like a Japanese guy thinking it's strange there are no chopsticks in most American restaurants.

There are no PC gamers in Japan. Nobody plays PC games. There is no PC gaming culture there. For 15 years I had to buy DIY parts from boutique shops to build gaming PC's for myself and buy "imported" games for twice the price.

From Software and Namco employees all grew up on consoles and studied console game programming.

It's not a coincidence Sega, Playstaion and Nintendo are all from Japan.

Anyway, I still want to play it but I just bought Planetside 2 and the wife would kill me if she saw two gaming charges on one CC statement!

If you understand this cultural difference, the lack of PC refinements makes sense.

There are a lot of PC games in Japan, but they are mostly flighsims, or "digital novles" or such a things. You'll not see a Japanese PC game with cutting edge tech normally.

Thanks for the explanation, Spoon. I just might pick it up, but I suspect I might be less impressed, like JDR, though the screens I've seen are more than pretty enough forme. I'm not sure I really want people popping into my game, for example. :p

Thanks for the explanation, Spoon. I just might pick it up, but I suspect I might be less impressed, like JDR, though the screens I've seen are more than pretty enough forme. I'm not sure I really want people popping into my game, for example. :p

You block people from popping into your game from GFWL menu.

People will not invade you if you are hollow (i.e. ugly face version).

60 FPS mod is out.. http://www.mediafire.com/?lv71uu81tozzk8x

Tried it and it works. Had to start a new game though (isnt compatible with GfWL, so that sucks).

Readme:

NKDS
Dark Souls mod by Nwks
==============================

Disclaimer:
This mod is provided by the author "as is" and "with all faults."
The author makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the safety, suitability, lack of viruses, inaccuracies, typographical errors, or other harmful components of this mod.
There are inherent dangers in the use of any piece of software, and you are solely responsible for determining whether this mod is suitable for your equipment and other software installed on your equipment.
You are also solely responsible for the protection of your equipment and backup of your data, including game saves, and the author will not be liable for any damages you may suffer in connection with using, modifying, or distributing this mod.

The included file xlive.dll was not made by the author.

Features:
- Sets the maximum frame-rate to 60fps.
- Increased the render thread priority from "low" to "high" (don't know if this helps)

ISSUES:
- GFWL prevents the use of this mod: you need to use a GFWL disabler in order to use it.
The FLT dummy xlive.dll is included with the mod.
It allows playing the game offline with saves enabled (Feel free to use any other.)
- The mod does not work with DSfix above v1.1.
- The render engine is slow and requires a high-end CPU to get 60fps at stock resolution in crowded places. If you are using DSfix, you probably won't be able to reach 60fps at all.
- The game runs at either 30fps or 60fps (default is 15fps or 30fps). Below 30fps the game-play will slow down and vsync will be lost.
- The mod seems to reduce the intensity of motion-blur
- Due to the nature of the mod, it may be incompatible (i.e. crash) on a large number of systems.

Installation:
- Extract the files of the archive into the game's binary directory.
For example:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA"

Un-installation:
- Delete the previously extracted files from the game's binary directory.
- No permanent changes are made.

Questions:
Q: It does nothing: the game still runs at 30fps
A: Make sure the mod is properly installed.
If you experience game-play slow-downs between 15 and 30fps, the mod is working but your system (CPU) isn't powerful enough to handle 60fps. In this case you can:
- Reduce the resolution if you are using DSfix.
- Do not use the mod.

Q: When ingame, it only displays the HUD
A: Do not use a version of DSfix above v1.1.

Q: It makes the game crash
A: Make sure you are using the provided xlive.dll.
Make sure it is really caused by the mod (i.e. see if it happens after removing it)

Changes:
Version 0.1 alpha (15-09-2012)
- Initial release
- This will probably break everything horribly and set your computer on fire (c)Durante

- From Software for Dark Souls
- NBGI for allowing the port of Dark Souls to the PC
- Durante for DSfix
- Oleh Yuschuk for OllyDbg v2

Based on TatniumD3D

What do you mean by "isn't compatible with GfWL"? You mean you have to play offline?

Because GfWL is always there.

I prefer to play offline anyways. I'm not big on other players being able to jump into my game.

They will not be able to when you are hollow even if you play online. I had someone invading me when I was not hollow and I killed him and stole his souls - it was quite fun:D

I am now level 24 on my 2nd character (wanderer), got ultimate knight armour (slow walking tank), and just got Drake's sword. This game just gets better and better and keeps pulling me with a magnet the size of the moon with 10000 Teslas!

I wonder if they'll release Dragon's Dogma too on PC. A lot of PC players would enjoy it i believe, especially those who thought DS was too hard. Really nice fighting and bosses, especially compared to Skyrim. Even a quick port like DS would suffice i think, we'd see similar mods for that game i'm sure :)

I wonder if they'll release Dragon's Dogma too on PC. A lot of PC players would enjoy it i believe, especially those who thought DS was too hard. Really nice fighting and bosses, especially compared to Skyrim. Even a quick port like DS would suffice i think, we'd see similar mods for that game i'm sure :)

I second that, and Capcom's ports are usually very stable. I hope that Capcom get encourged by Dark Souls PC sales.

Back
Top Bottom