Dragon Age 2 - Hands-On Preview @ Videogamer

Having to press the attack button repeatedly is a console-only feature, on the PC it behaves like DAO - you select a target and your character attacks them until you order them otherwise.

Not true, as far as I know it you still auto-attack even in console versions. So you don't have to press repeatedly for basic attacks.

It is funny that they are making Dragon Age more action and less complex when another one that just came out went the opposite direction from action and uncomplicated to less action and more complicated. (I'm talking about Two Worlds 2 here) There have been so many people complaining about Two Worlds 2 on the official forums and most of it is because people that play simplified games can't understand how to play the game correctly.

Those complaining about Two Worlds 2 have valid reasons.Most of the features they promised are useless are were cut out.Don't get me started about how you cant even explore the largest landmass except in Mp only the the swamp.That game has issues with audio not matching the subtitles and don't get me started on the rushed ending.Not good for a game that was supposed to be larger and better than the first.

Not true, as far as I know it you still auto-attack even in console versions. So you don't have to press repeatedly for basic attacks.

On the consoles, auto-attack is off by default, but can be ordered via the radial menu. On the PC auto-attack is the only option.

On the consoles, auto-attack is off by default, but can be ordered via the radial menu. On the PC auto-attack is the only option.

Yeah, seems to be so. Well at least the pc version works as it used to.

Mike Laidlaw said:
Consoles:
* Press A to perform basic attack.
* Open radial menu and press A to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.
* Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.

PC:
* Right click to issue attack order, character will auto-attack.
* Non-controlled characters will behave based on tactics.

The petulant anger from some here about this is amusing.

Everyone, remember. It's a different game. A DIFFERENT GAME.

DA2 is a game that takes place in the Dragon Age universe created and owned by Bioware. It doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same or even similar to other games they have made. It's not called "Dragon Age Top-Down Strategic Turn Based RPG." It's a different game.

Enjoy it, or ignore it like the other 1000+ games that are released every year that you and I ignore. Move on.

I'm somewhat disappointed, but cautiously optimistic. For me, the "strategic" battles in DA1 got really boring after about halfway through the game. I finished it, but mostly because of the story, the characters and writing.

If it were just like DA1 I'd be disappointed as well, because I have already played DA1. I couldn't even play through it a second time as it became too much of a grinding bore to hold my attention.

So keep an open mind and play something else if it doesn't interest you. Play games to have fun. Not every game needs to conform to some pre-conceived standard in your head to be enjoyable.

Also- Maybe DA2 will suck. Who knows at this point?

Everyone, remember. It's a different game. A DIFFERENT GAME.

This is what people are complaining about. It's different from DA1, yet more similar to most other games on the market. That make is less different and instead more of the same.

It doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same or even similar to other games they have made. It's not called "Dragon Age Top-Down Strategic Turn Based RPG."

It's called Dragon Effect by fans, and rightfully so.

Enjoy it, or ignore it like the other 1000+ games that are released every year that you and I ignore. Move on.

1000+ games per year huh.
Please give me a list of 10 games the last year that are similar to DA1 and I believe you will fail. Give me a list of 10 games the last year that are similar to where they seem to go with DA2 and you will have a better chance.

So keep an open mind and play something else if it doesn't interest you.

Open your mind too much and your brain will fall out.

Play games to have fun. Not every game needs to conform to some pre-conceived standard in your head to be enjoyable.

I have an easy standard. What I find enjoyable is enjoyable. I gave up on Gods of War, it's not kind of game.

Also- Maybe DA2 will suck. Who knows at this point?

DA2 will suck.

So keep an open mind and play something else if it doesn't interest you. Play games to have fun. Not every game needs to conform to some pre-conceived standard in your head to be enjoyable.

God, you sound exactly like I did back when people were screaming about "teh new shit" and other horrendous PR mistakes by Bioware back when DA 1 was coming out.

As for the anger, nope sorry not going to drop it whether you like it or not. I realize there are other games out there, but Bioware's huge step back is a big disappointment to me. I won't be posting another newsbit like that, but I sure as hell am going to voice my disapproval over this direction that Bioware seems to be heading in.

If you think I don't know that my own tiny little voice makes absolutely no difference at all then just take a look at my signature. So just let people have their rage over certain games being butchered. We're extremely lucky with Fallout: New Vegas. The last game I enjoyed as much as New Vegas was The Witcher. Dues Ex: Human Revolution looks to be a great game as well, but really good rpgs are few and far between. It's just really disappointing to get attached to a setting so quickly and then have it turn into this.

You are on a RPG website, not a FPS or action one. We get MAYBE two or three passable ones in a year. If we're having a really good year then we'll get five or six (including indies). A really bad year maybe one or two barely rpgs. So yea I tend to get annoyed when a great RPG gets butchered.

Last edited:
Reading this preview again and ignoring the marketing catchphrases, I'm just not seeing a drastic change in direction, unless you're hung up on having a more fixed protagonist (which doesn't seem to bother anyone in Gothic or The Witcher).

Eh, get over it. Evidently it's a game you won't enjoy, like the latest Madden football game, or the latest FPS. These are the 1000 games per year I was mentioning. I doubt I'll be playing the latest Farmville clone on the DS or the newest Mario Brothers junk on the Wii either. There's tons of games I never even think about.

It's just another game. The folks here expressing anger over something like this are amusing to me.

I enjoyed Baldur's Gate. I also thought Mass Effect 2 was lots of fun. Does this make me a traitor to the RPG cause?

DPB - great point.

The Gothic series features a nameless male protagonist. It also features a bottomless inventory system where you can carry an infinite number of items of any weight and size and not even have it affect your speed. It also features a real-time, reflex based WASD control system (OMG- like an FPS!!1!!). Yet somehow it qualifies here are a "real" RPG gem, while any hint of action combat in DA2 is excoriated.

So DA2 is going to have different combat from DA1, and immediately some people here start crying and moaning about how angry they are and how terrible it's going to be. It's truly laughable.

Again, DA1 had great characters, dialog, voice acting and story. The combat was derivative of older Bioware games, and got very repetitive to me after a while. I'm glad they're trying something new.

It's just another game. The folks here expressing anger over something like this are amusing to me.

Your amusement amuses me.

I enjoyed Baldur's Gate. I also thought Mass Effect 2 was lots of fun. Does this make me a traitor to the RPG cause?

No, just someone who enjoys two completely different kinds of games.

Some people are so strange, you know, and they develop preferences. They find out what they like and what they really enjoy.

Some are downright insane, and they start expecting that sequels stay faithful to prequels.

I say we lock them all up, right now!

Some people are so strange, you know, and they develop preferences. They find out what they like and what they really enjoy.

Some are downright insane, and they start expecting that sequels stay faithful to prequels.

There is nothing that I could add to this, just wanted to say thanks. We need a defender of our geeky ways and you are it my friend. Not so much me, I just like to bash things with a heavy stick and scream into the heavens WHYY?????, but at least we got you to put some perspective on the issue for all those bashing/screaming freaks out there :D

Thanks, VOD. Same to you as well. I always liked your newsbits mixed in with commentary. It adds a little something when an OMFG piece of news lands on your lap.

Do we know if Darkspawn are going to play a major role (yet again)? That would be phenomenally dull.

As for comments about single fixed protagonists - DA:O was not the Witcher, and no one expected it to be similar in any way. I loved the Witcher, but I was expecting to play …yes, you guessed it - a Witcher! Throwing away a staple of previous Bioware games - where you had complete freedom to craft your character - is a step backwards. I think Bioware will stray increasingly from their roots as their Evil AOverlord (hey I tried!) whips them for more money. We all know what EA is good and they sure as hell did not pick up Bioware for philanthropic reasons.

There's no way Bioware would let EA control their direction like this. They're not that small.

I have zero doubt that the top Bio people have the same vision as the top EA people = money and an evergrowing audience.

I really am truly curious to see how this game does.

I dont think it will completely bomb, but it's not going to do anywhere near as well as DA:Origins did. I'm not buying it, that's for sure.

Well, it's all very disappointing, but so was the news about DA:O. This previewer is a moron, so I'll holdout for a decent review/preview. But so far, nothing sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom