Crytek In Financial Trouble

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
According to DSO Gaming Crytek is having financial trouble, and might have to go bankrupt. This due to poor sales of RYSE, and the failure of the Crytek engine.

Link: - http://www.dsogaming.com/news/cryte...ngine-not-good-ryse-development-catastrophic/
According to Gamestar, the adoption of CRYENGINE is not going well and the word-of-mouth at GDC was negative. Strangely enough, CRYENGINE is currently one of the most optimized engines, so Crytek should really look into its subscription prices otherwise this amazing engine may never be used by other triple-A developers.

Not only that, but Gamestar claims that the development of Ryse was catastrophic for the studio. Just mere months before its release, the game was severely behind and Crytek was able to complete it with additional manpower. And from what we’ve seen thus far, Ryse did not sell as good as Crytek hoped (especially for a console exclusive).

Things are definitely not looking good for Crytek and while Avni Yerli claimed that a cash injection for the company is finally imminent (with a contract to be signed really soon), a lot of big publishers are waiting for a possible bankrupt in order to sign the talent and shop the IPs from Crytek.

For what is worth, Wargaming is listed as a possible buyer of Crytek. If Wargaming does buys Crytek, we can kiss goodbye to all of the studio’s single-player games (as Wargaming is best known for its Free-To-Play games). In short, this may be the end of the Crytek
I guess all that talk about F2P being the future hasn't paid off either has it Mr.Yerli.:evilgrin:

Update: Neogaf has more information and it looks like MS is not happy either.

Link:- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841907

*Information is from a half dozen independent sources, according to Yerli "dramatized rumors" from disgruntled ex-employees
*Salaries are paid late and leading employees are sending applications to other studios at home and abroad
*Warface doesn't work outside of Russia, other attempts at F2P were unsuccessful
*G-face was a flop
*The development of Ryse was catastrophic: mere months before release, the title was severely behind, only with additional manpower they were able to finish it
*Disagreements with MS over the ownership of Ryse's IP could be a red flag for other publishers
*Adoption of CryEngine not going as planned, word-of-mouth at GDC was negative
*Too many employees, burn-rate too high (3-5 M euro).
*"The vultures are already circling," says a leading representative for a major publisher.
*Big publishers are not interested in buying outright,would rather wait for bankruptcy, sign the talent and shop the IPs.

Last edited:
So, a console exclusive could end a company.
Sorry, but I'm actually happy seeing that. I wish they all go bankrupt.

Revise the pricing of the Crytek engine? It's cheaper than Unreal and I believe it comes cheaper than Unity3D as well.

I'm also surprised about negative word-of-mouth, considering the number of games that use it.

Not surprised. Their latest outings show ignorance to what made their games original in the first place.

Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 are just medicore, with rubbish multiplayer - ignoring their rules and fan cryouts for their great achievements in Far Cry and Crysis.

As for their Engine, I don't think it is as attractive, cross-platform or easier to use compared to Unity for example. Even if the entry price is lower than others, the assets might not be.

Another EA developer down the drain!

Last edited:
Not surprised, either.

Crysis was pretty great - and then they started pissing on the PC platform because of their piracy fantasy.

When you rely on impressing people with your technology - and you deliberately abandon the most powerful platform and focus on much lesser hardware, you're asking to be punished for your ignorance.

In this case, their wish might be granted.

I find it hard to pity them, though I actually liked the engine.

Were any good RPGs made with the Crytek engine? I ask because it seems to me (and I don't claim to know a lot about Crytek or engines in general) that the Crytek engine is all about looks and less about world interactivity.

I guess there could be a great interactive game made with Crytek but I don't think I've seen it yet. And that Ryse game just looks horrible to me (repetitive action game with shiny graphics but dreadful everything else).

Were any good RPGs made with the Crytek engine? I ask because it seems to me (and I don't claim to know a lot about Crytek or engines in general) that the Crytek engine is all about looks and less about world interactivity.

I guess there could be a great interactive game made with Crytek but I don't think I've seen it yet. And that Ryse game just looks horrible to me (repetitive action game with shiny graphics but dreadful everything else).

Star Citizen is using CryEngine - and it's looking to be the most elaborate and ambitious computer game ever made :)

Though, it's not strictly an RPG.

That said, it's still far from release.

Beyond that, there are some MMOs using it - like ArcheAge and Aion, both of which are very interactive.

Engines are rarely the reason games aren't interactive - as you can adapt all the established ones for almost any purpose. That said, obviously some engines are better at certain games than others, but I do believe CryEngine is a very flexible beast.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I believe you recently played a little Vampire game, right? ;)

That was using the Source engine - which was developed primarily for Half Life 2, which is a pure shooter, and even more so than CryEngine.

Last edited:
According to Gamestar, the adoption of CRYENGINE is not going well and the word-of-mouth at GDC was negative. Strangely enough, CRYENGINE is currently one of the most optimized engines, so Crytek should really look into its subscription prices otherwise this amazing engine may never be used by other triple-A developers.

Being opimized and looking good doesn't mean it's easy to get work done with it, which seems to be the real problem. It's always easier to stick with the tools you already use, anyway.

Star Citizen is using CryEngine - and it's looking to be the most elaborate and ambitious computer game ever made :)

Though, it's not strictly an RPG.

That said, it's still far from release.

Beyond that, there are some MMOs using it - like ArcheAge and Aion, both of which are very interactive.

Engines are rarely the reason games aren't interactive - as you can adapt all the established ones for almost any purpose. That said, obviously some engines are better at certain games than others, but I do believe CryEngine is a very flexible beast.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I believe you recently played a little Vampire game, right? ;)

That was using the Source engine - which was developed primarily for Half Life 2, which is a pure shooter, and even more so than CryEngine.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I look forward to a good RPG coming out that uses this engine.

Dart forgot these three recent RPGs that will use the Cry Engine.;)

1. Aderyn Cradle
Cradle is an open-world action role-playing game (RPG) in development by Mojo Game Studios.
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Realistic single-player RPG set in the medieval Europe. Open-world sandbox with period accurate melee combat. Dungeons & no Dragons.
3. The Memory of Eldurim
The Memory of Eldurîm is a 3D open-world action RPG set in an original fantasy world. Terms like "Action RPG" and "Open world" get thrown around a lot these days, so let's be a bit more specific. The Memory of Eldurîm is a 3rd/1st person game where you control a character that lives in an unique fantasy world.
There maybe more RPG games but thats all I know right now.:)

1. Aderyn Cradle
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3. The Memory of Eldurim
There maybe more RPG games but thats all I know right now.:)

Thanks, Couch! All 3 of these are interesting to me.

It's hard to forget things you're not aware of ;)

That said, I do believe I've heard that Kingdom game would be using it - so that I did forget.

Please forgive my old and worn memory!!!!

For what is worth, Wargaming is listed as a possible buyer of Crytek. If Wargaming does buys Crytek, we can kiss goodbye to all of the studio’s single-player games (as Wargaming is best known for its Free-To-Play games). In short, this may be the end of the Crytek.

Reminds me of Radon Labs …

Similar, yes, but not the same.
Wargaming slightly changed World of Tanks so you can now buy "improved" ammo with ingame cash, not only real cash. BigPoint games are still pay2win.

Well, if they should go bust, at least the have the best cry technology.

According to my local newspaper Crytek now says that the whole thing about nearbankrupcy state is a newspaper hoax.

Whatever it is and whatever happens, honestly, I really don't care about consoles developer. They can all die or turn into developers for phones, it doesn't touch my pocket (wallet) anyhow.

According to my local newspaper Crytek now says that the whole thing about nearbankrupcy state is a newspaper hoax.

Whatever it is and whatever happens, honestly, I really don't care about consoles developer. They can all die or turn into developers for phones, it doesn't touch my pocket (wallet) anyhow.

Crytek engine has potential, though. That is only reason to care about the company.

Thanks for the links Joxer.:thumbsup:

Just remember rumors do get down played, and do turn out to be true. Look at the fall of THQ for an example. They denied the rumors and went under in the end.

According to gamesindustry.biz the staff at Cryteks walked out because they didn't get paid:

Crytek UK's failure to pay its staff has sparked an employee walkout, according to a new report from Kotaku. Four people connected to Crytek's UK studio - formerly knows as Free Radical Design - have confirmed that staff have not been fully paid, with two sources indicating that some of those affected have submitted formal grievance letters and refused to return to work.

link:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-04-staff-walkout-at-crytek-uk-over-unpaid-wages-report

Back
Top Bottom