NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Diary # 2

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGVault has posted their second in a series of developer diaries for the Neverwinter Nights 2 adventure pack, Mysteries of Westgate and the devs at Ossian Studios have provided a few details about some of the factions and NPCs in their upcoming title:
Major Players and Companions in a City Where Anything Goes

The Night Masks are a powerful thieves guild that operates out of the city of Westgate, although in actuality, thievery is amongst the least of the group's activities. Most commoners believe they are a nuisance the ruling council of the city manages to keep under control, but the truth is far more disturbing than that. The Night Masks have their fingers everywhere in Westgate, and no less than three of its 10 ruling noble houses are directly controlled by the evil organization.
The rulers of the Night Masks are an enigma, and all that is known by those not part of its upper hierarchy is that the undisputed leader of the organization is simply known as the Faceless. Who or what the Faceless may be is unknown, but rumor has it that several different beings have held the position over the years.

Recently, a rival guild calling itself the Ebon Claws has arisen to challenge the Night Masks' dominance of Westgate's illegal activities. Springing up remarkably quickly, this new faction has so far managed to get the better of its rivals. On several occasions, gang warfare has broken out in the streets, particularly in the Harbor Loop. This has not gone unnoticed by Obid Teltas. The acting high priest at Morningstar Haven, he is a blustering man who, despite his position, has the general manner of a used ox-cart seller. He has made a public vow to rid the streets of the evil "festering in its bowels", but as yet, his actions seem to have amounted to little more than attempting to convince a few hired mercenaries and adventurers to probe around.
More information.

I hate to be debbie downer, but that sounds strangely like the Shadow Thieves.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. Tried googling the Night Masks as it sounded familiar but it doesn't seem to a part of FR canon.

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. Tried googling the Night Masks as it sounded familiar but it doesn't seem to a part of FR canon.
Pages 26, 143, 144, 271 and 273 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting (3rd edition) says they are very much canon, and that they "became the secret rulers of Westgate" in 1353. The Night Masks were also mentioned in Baldur's Gate II's Shadow Thief quest line.

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually have own the CS myself but didn't bother to look it up. As I said a very quick google search didn't reveal much besides a R.A. Salvatore novel by that name.

Back
Top Bottom