Legend of Grimrock - Dungeon Editor Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Almost Human has released the Dungeon Editor for Legend of Grimrock - so get modding:
After several months of break-neck speed development, Almost Human is proud to release the most anticipated modding tool ever, the Dungeon Editor for Legend of Grimrock! The Dungeon Editor is a free update for everybody who owns the game. [...]
I’m sure everybody’s eager to start modding right away, so here are some links to get you up to speed: official modding documentation, Komag’s excellent video tutorials, official modding forum.
And if you want to play some mods right now, that’s no problem either! The Public Beta testers have been very productive and have already created over 150 mods that can be subscribed to in Steam Workshop and downloaded from Grimrock Nexus.
Steam users will get an automatic update - hit up the link to find out about other systems. Some fixes are also supplied with this patch.
More information.

Some interesting betas right there... of course in early development, but interesting none the less. An EOB recreation project for instance. Well well.

Why would anyone recreate EOB instead of going for an original production? The Eye of the Beholder series is perfectly fine in DosBox or in your chosen emulator of different platforms; it does not need a remake at all!

Grimrock is also on sale, just $7.50 at the moment! :)

Daniel.

Why would anyone recreate EOB instead of going for an original production? The Eye of the Beholder series is perfectly fine in DosBox or in your chosen emulator of different platforms; it does not need a remake at all!

Based on that Logic, why remake anything at all? I suppose people have probably been waiting for a modern blobber engine they could make their own modules with for a really long time. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Based on that Logic, why remake anything at all? I suppose people have probably been waiting for a modern blobber engine they could make their own modules with for a really long time. I'm excited to see what they come up with.
Remakes are fine if the modern technology can offer something the old games couldn't offer, and which can meaningfully enhance the game, or if the original games are too old to be satisfying graphically / made to run properly on new machines. None of this is true for the old blobber games.

I mean, these people are going to devote much of their time to this, and of course that's great, hats off to them, etc. But it'd be nice to see some new ideas!

New ideas? Theres enough new ideas right there, just because I picked out a remake one, doesnt mean you have to go crazy.

I love the editor but it really shows the difference between the old days and now.

Back in the old days, new content creation to add in an editor was relatively easy. Sure, most peoples tiny blobs of pixels were hideous but so was the official game art often enough, so hooray! At least it was all terrible.

Now there's the 3D modelling, the textures and then animation. Then there's conversion to the correct data formats and any in engine tweaking that would then be necessary. Yow. You need a team.

I saw on their forums that someone is working on something that can access the games 3D data and it looks like they can import some ugly models already. So hopefully in time there'll be a whole suite available. :)

Well, my old computer died and I lost all of my saves from when I first finished this game, does the editor work for characters as well? I have the GOG version so it hasn't updated as of yet, and I really don't feel like replaying the original version again as its too fresh in my mind, but if I could tweak my toons up I'd be interested in diving into player made dungeons.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom