Sacred 2 - Closed Beta Call

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Ascaron is calling for applications for the closed beta phase:
We are in the process of expanding our closed beta test team, but please read and consider this information carefully before you rush to click the link at the end of this announcement. The closed beta test is a very important process that has very specific goals – making a bug-free game that is enjoyable to play in all it's aspects. It is not simply an opportunity for fans or dedicated players to have a chance to play the game early. With this in mind, please only apply if you're prepared for some hard work, and are motivated by a desire to make the released game better.
...and while we're at it, they've released some new screenshots.
More information.

You have to imagine that the developers of this game are more than a little pleased at the timing of Blizzard's recent announcement. They won't have to actually compete with Diablo III since it's god knows how long off, but they'll get to cash in on some of that buzz.

I applied, but looking at the screenshots I decided to lie about my video card. I guess I'm going to need a new one anyway, if games are all giong to have grass and flowers and reflections and individually rendered eyelashes from now on.

Based on the game play video I watched, Diablo III is a LOT further into its development than most people think. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released by Christmas.

Based on the game play video I watched, Diablo III is a LOT further into its development than most people think. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released by Christmas.

There is a great difference between the average gameplay video and a Blizzard gameplay video.

Starcraft 2 has looked finished for ages judging from videos alone, and they just announced it won't be released before 2009.

No, I don't think D3 will be released until at least a year from now. However, I also suspect it won't be much longer than that, based on nothing but gut feelings.

No, I don't think D3 will be released until at least a year from now. However, I also suspect it won't be much longer than that, based on nothing but gut feelings.

Part of me thinks you're probably right, but that game play video makes the game look pretty far along, plus they say they've been working on it since 2004. I'm not ready to say this game won't be released sooner rather than later. We'll see. A quote I found, for what it's worth....

"How long has Diablo III been in development, and when was the project first conceived?"

Leonard Boyarsky: "I don’t know this information firsthand, but yesterday I was in a press conference with Mike Morhaime, and he said it really got going in 2004. [Before,] it had been kicked around. I’ve only been with Blizzard for two and a half years – so that’s how long it’s been going for me. It’s been around a while."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19259

Part of me thinks you're probably right, but that game play video makes the game look pretty far along, plus they say they've been working on it since 2004. I'm not ready to say this game won't be released sooner rather than later. We'll see. A quote I found, for what it's worth....

"How long has Diablo III been in development, and when was the project first conceived?"

Leonard Boyarsky: "I don’t know this information firsthand, but yesterday I was in a press conference with Mike Morhaime, and he said it really got going in 2004. [Before,] it had been kicked around. I’ve only been with Blizzard for two and a half years – so that’s how long it’s been going for me. It’s been around a while."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19259

True enough, but I don't think time in development means all that much in this case. I remember Blizzard talking about going back and forth from 2D to 3D for ages with D2, for instance. Today, they're in a position where they can develop for as long as they want, without needing to worry much about when to release.

However, none of us know anything for sure, and I'd rather you were right. I could use a D3 right about now :)

Probably not good news for Sacred that every thread anywhere I've seen since the D3 announcement turns into a D3 thread ...

Sacred is going out to consoles though which Blizzard doesn't seem too interested in so it has plenty of audience there.

Yeah, I'm sure Sacred 2 will do fine. I was just thinking how annoying it must be for some of those guys to have put all that great press and media out there for so long just to become second fiddle over night. And in a big way.

Yeah, I'm sure Sacred 2 will do fine. I was just thinking how annoying it must be for some of those guys to have put all that great press and media out there for so long just to become second fiddle over night. And in a big way.

The release date of Diablo III is unknown to us, but with Starcraft 2 confirmed for 2009 at the earliest, I think even to say Fall 2009 for Diablo III is optimistic, if not wildly optimistic. Sacred II, OTOH, will come out much sooner, and it's effective sales run will long be over before D3 bursts on the scene.

While perhaps the egos of the devs might be bruised a bit by the knowledge that thousands of people are buying their game because those people are in reality excited for a different game an Sacred II is just a quick fix, that bruising will be more than offset with the fuller wallets that will accompany all those extra sales.

I assure you, they are pleased at the buzz.

I hope Sacred 2 becomes a huge success. It´s quite obvious Ascaron bet their whole stack on it.

Personally, I'm quite confident of that.
At least if there aren't too many bugs ...

I hope Sacred 2 becomes a huge success. It´s quite obvious Ascaron bet their whole stack on it.

I hope so too ... I'm pulling for them based on their excellent support of the first one!

Back
Top Bottom