What games are you playing now?

I finished Lands of Lore 3 last night. Too bad I didn't reach Level 20 as a Thief... now I still don't know what's beyond the level 20 locked gutter gate. Hmmm... perhaps I should go back to my last savegame before the city was wrecked and grind a bit.

Finished "Star Wars : Republic Heroes" yesterday.

Nice game, lots of fighting & jump & run !
The fighting becomes a little bit tedious, but especially if you like hack & slash, then this game is for you. ;)
Some of the jump & run parts are really ... tricky. My hero died "a thousand deads" ... well, a few hundred, at least ;) - by just falling off the higher grounds because I was not thinking in 3D and thus directed the hero to jump into the wrong direction.

Characters can't die, but their deaths are resuling in a small loss of points.
You play both Clones and Jedi throughout the game.

Started New Vegas…

Don't really have time to delve into it - and I've been suffering from severe gaming overexposure, what with Kinect, iPod, PS3, and a ton of unplayed PC games. It tends to have the opposite effect to what one might think, in that I just sit there and ponder what to play, instead of actually playing.

Nothing seems to work for me for long at the moment, but New Vegas should be a good choice.

Certainly has me interested so far, and the writing is strong. Much more low-key and subtle than Fallout 3 - which is a big improvement. Obsidian knows how to handle this kind of thing with much more plausibility to the characters and quests. It gets to you slowly but steadily - and isn't in a huge hurry to make an impression.

Sort of like the writing in "The Wire" as opposed to the standard TV show crap like 24 - where everything has to be excessive to keep the ratings up.

I'm really looking forward to playing more, when I have the time. The only thing that bothers me, so far, is that I can't have hardcore without the food/water aspect. I can see why they did it, but it's not really the kind of feature that works for me - as I find it to be more a nuisance than anything else. But, they did pour a lot of effort into it - and it sorta seems like it belongs in the game, given the Survival skill and stuff like that.

I started to play Geneforge 5. Good story and a turned base combat system make this game an authentic gem. This coming from someone who is mostly a casual player.
The graphics doesn't make it much attractive, but for me it was always more a question of gameplay than anything else.

Have been playing Stronghold II quite a bit, and after firing up the original tonight for a while I have to say that this is one of those cases where the original is better than the sequel. Playing the original was like slipping on an old shoe, not perfect, but comfortable. The music is great, the whole feel of the game is overall different. Stronghold II was pretty widely panned, and I've been giving it a fair shot, but it's a tough game to like. Truth be told, the sequel is not all bad, it's just an annoying game to play. It has some cool yet ancillary features, but overall the war campaign totally sucks and the enemy and indeed your own troops are so clueless. They werent geniuses in the first one either, but it was manageable. It was fun to play. The economic campaign is no refuge either. It should be a nice castle kingdom sim to just kinda chill and play, but again it turns out pretty bad. Ragequit city.

I'll fire it up again no doubt this weekend and give it another shot, but as of now I have to say that the original 2D Stronghold and Crusader expansion are far better than the sequel!

Just finished DS:TRoT - very enjoyabale!

Quite far into batman: Arkkham asylum, It was fun at first, but the encounters all seem to be permutations of the basic types/scenarios you encounter earlier in the game - avoid this, swing off that. It's very pretty though, and the story is intertesting.

Still playing Drakensang 1 ... Japhgur is now toast, but Murulosch leaves a little bit to be desired ... I had thought it was a more impressing/impressive place ... But I'm only at the beginning there ...

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Its been a lot of fun but I miss some of the features from Mass Effect 1 such as the old map and inventory systems. Not to far into the game yet.

I've been playing Blood 2: The Chosen.

It's a shooter from 1998, and sequel to the classic Build Engine game Blood, which is an old favorite of mine. I purchased Blood 2 back when it was new, but the system I had at the time couldn't run it. Later attempts to play it failed due to not being able to get the game stable enough to run for any decent amount of time. The version I'm playing now is from GoG.com.

Pretty fun game so far, and damn hard as well. The level design pales in comparison to the original, but I'm still enjoying it.

The first Blood was more tongue-in-cheek than No. 2, and it was not as hard as the second one. I played through No. 2, but I did curse a lot :).
I liked No. 2's Caleb, though.

Playing Gothc 3 right now (with CP 1.73) and having a ball.
This is such a great game, really…

I have a high hopes for the CSP (Community Story Project) mod, that will hopefully make it the brilliantly shiny gem it ought to be!

About 6 hours into Faery: legends of Avalon on the 360. Awesome game, having a really good time w/ it so far. I dont mind the fetch quests so much because the navigation of the world is so fun to control! I had to turn the controller sensitivity down a bit tho, by default i was overshooting everything.

Fun, light rpg w/ turn based battles. A neat feature is the leveling scheme, where you transform different parts of your char's body, granting different bonuses and creating a unique look. On the subject of looks, the game's beautful and the scale of your mini-party (at this point 2 faerys and a leprauchan lol) is interesting.

my girl bought me "magicka" on steam, and it's turning out to be a fun game so far. Differnt elements summon different types of spells, mixing and matching them gets you different results. The art style is nice too, it's like a classic 2D style RPG meets 3D.

busted out Dungeon Keeper 2 again, gettting ready for Feb 8th!

Just finished Avernum. Now starting Dungeon Keeper 2 as well.

God I love that narrator. He's got the best evil voice around. Just finished Smilesville.

Keeper Skaven, how is the game working for you w/ modern hardware/OS?

I tried playing DK2 (the version I told you about previously) on my 7x64 monster machine, and it just crashed way too much past lv#4, it was unplayable. So I transferred my saves to my old XP machine and it works great, not a crash yet.

I think a lot of people dont appreciate the utility, and quite frankly just the awesomeness of the Possession spell. Seriously, you can solo an enemy Keeper if you know what youre doing. The creatures get lots of different spells that they dont use otherwise, not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway) you can run, which is huge. Possess a warlock and rain fiery doom on enemy units and cannons, approach it like an FPS, dodging ranged attacks. Possess a high level imp and hit their burst of speed ability and tunnel around, teleport back to the dungeon heart at will. Good times.

One area that DK2 is lacking, and it's always been a beef of mine w/ the game is the fact that the query mode sucks so much. In DK1, a query on a creature brought up all the info on it - wage, spells, damage, etc. A query in DK2 gets you a name and ... blood type? Wtf?? Sounds like we need a query mod.

Keeper Sammy my man, crap you are crashing too?

I had a heck of a time getting it to show something other than a black screen with the menu. Turns out I had to turn off the hardware AND start a new game. I'd turn it off in the options menu and then quit. When I started again it would be selected. Did that a few times before I caught on that maybe I should start the game :)

I just crashed in level 3. Took a break. I'm going to try setting the affinity to only one processor. That might have something to do with the crashing if we both have Win 764 and Win XP works just fine. If not then I'll just do what you do and play it on the XP. It's sitting right next to me so there's no reason not to just hop into that chair and play.

I forgot about that query. It only shows blood type huh? Well a heap lot of good that does us. Maybe a vampire is in charge of keeping track of the minions.

I found a few sites that might interest you when I was looking around for maps.

This guy is making a fan remake. I wouldn't mention it normally because these things have a habit of disappearing, buuttt surprise surprise the news posts and updates are up to date. The last newspost was on 1/24/2011 Now that shocked the hell out of me.

Here's his site. He's got a bunch of tools and stuff on there as well.

Here's the forums for his remake.

I'm still not expecting any miracles, but he does have a demo out. No idea how good it is, but it's there :)

my DK2 is not crashing at all on my XP Pro Sp3 install. Well, I got one when "restarting" a level from the menu, but no game-interrupting CTDs or anything like I was getting on my win7x64 install. That was literally unplayable past lv#4. Everything's cranked up and looking as good as it can for the early 2000'ish era, which aint that bad. Probably better than I've been able to see it before on systems past.

I played it til 1am last night, then woke up at 5:30am and played the next level. DK2 was so ahead of it's time when it comes to running a little sim ecology, it's really sucked me back in after all these years. I find myself going into possession mode and scouting/leading a battle/tunneling away w/ the imps and wow… what a mindblower. Suddenly a moment of clarity at what a fuckin cool game this is, and how totally different it is from anything else I'm currently playing. And you know - this is one of those classics I dont think I ever completed. I played the SP campaign up to a certain point, and between the sandbox "my pet dungeon" and squaring off against inept AI enemy keepers, I burned out and was on to some RTS or something..

I checked out the links you gave, it's interesting that someone else is running w/ the ball on this gameplay concept.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom