Power supply squeal…

booboo

SasqWatch
I have a corsair TX850W (overkill for me, but mainly to power my gtx480)). Anyway, just replaced my old mobo for a Gigabyte x58 UD3R + i7 930. (had core2 duo before). That was all I did, however since I booted up, every now and then the PSU starts squealing and squawking - the system seems fine, I have run some stress tests and it seems no worse under heavy GPU load. Could it be dust clogging up the PSU fan bearings or something similar?I'm terrified of dodgy caps leaking and dripping gunk onto my gfx vard- vertically some way below..or something blowing up :-/ Before I swapped the mobo, it made no weird noises - and it's only about 2-3 months old. Any suggestions/advice? I can't open the PSU casing without voiding the warranty. I see there are some issues with Intel CPU power management features that can somehow cause PSU's to resonate oddly (or something) - haven't tried that BIOS tweak yet.

One only 2-3 months old is unlikely to be having dust problems. In my experience squealing is an indication of a soon-to-be fan failure. I'd replace the power supply.

This has happened to me twice.You have two options you can replace the fans yourself or spend money to have someone do it for you.Just make sure to buy the right size fan to replace the old one.I had one go out and nearly burned out my motherboard.You might also have a defective psu if its under warranty Call for support to see if you have to buy a new one or get a replacement.

for those who may have similar issues: it turns out the new motherboard I have (Gigabyte X58 UD3R rev2) has an issue with some power supplies (like my Corsair):
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1426.0.html
I haven't disabled the CPU power saving+ turbo features yet (as suggested) , but I did change windows 7 power management mode to 'balanced' which seems to have taken away almost all of the noise. Supposedly there is some new hardware tweak that involves a capacitor on the mobo and a beta bios which can remove it entirely… but that is only available in the UK so far. Supposedly it is something to do with 'overly sensitive' power supplies and this board…basically a design flaw which cannot be patched by bios updates alone :-/ I suppose I could RMA the board, but I'm not keen …

Back
Top Bottom