The most retarded thing in games. you can think of

My #1 pet peeve is no jumping, or worse, jumping that is so ineffective that I can still not make it over a foot high fence. Nothing makes me scream in frustration like having to trot around a foot-high fence that I could simply step over with my muscle packed superhero, because the designers couldn't be bothered to put in a decent jumping feature. Actually this extends to climbing. A ledge at breast height, and I have to push crates around, solve some physics puzzle, or kill the horribleGgrimbutyk for Plop the dwarf so he can lift me up? Gimme a break!

I just found a few more retarded things that really bug me lately:

1. Armor and weapons that disintegrate after a few puny hits from a low level monster and then cost half your stash to repair.

2. Items that cost more to identify than you'll get when you sell them.

What is it with identifying items? You've picked up and identified thirty five yellow potions of invisibility, they're the only yellow potion in the game--but when you pick up # 36, you still don't know what it is? Your character is a level 39 mage, but that scroll of magic missiles baffles him? Come on, people. One of the biggest time (and money) wasters ever, IMO. :)
Yeesh!

But just when you assume the 36th yellow potion is invisibility, you find out it's just yellow snow... ;) Tell me every DM in the world hasn't pulled a trick like that on an overconfident player or two.

Lol, that's nasty!

Call of Cthulhu had a good remedy for that at least for San. SAy you see a dead body for the first time, you have to make a POW roll or lose 1d4 temporary SAN. You mark it down as one dead body. After 5 you become immune. Its like, oh a dead body - big whoop just like I do in real life.

Honestly, I think you're right magret. Identify could be done better - why should it cost 100gp everytime or be so arbitrary? Is id'g something the most important thing about being a bard? I have thought about turning up the cost to $1000 on my server just to make bards more important but then I'd have a riot on my hands.

First spell I take is always Identify!! :)

That's great where the game allows it--many games don't have skills or scrolls for identify--you just have to pay for it.

It's plain to see you are telling the truth when you say you don't play any action rpg's, Corwin. :)

The Chosen is reminding me of how much I hate games that litter the environment with hundreds upon hundreds of crates, barrels and other breakable things ... with about a 10% loot rate.

Yes, and you have to break every single one because you *need* that 18 gold. Every time a health potion drops, my husband has to tell me to hold it down. :)

Yes, and you have to break every single one because you *need* that 18 gold. Every time a health potion drops, my husband has to tell me to hold it down. :)

I really wish that wasn't true ... or at least that I could stop bashing *every* crate ...

Two Worlds is full of crates, and you can't bash any of them!! :)

Don't know if anyone said it but here it goes anyways :

Playing Gothic 3, having a good time, then you enter a cave, everything's fine, then you go in deeper, everything gets exagerately dark and then, well, you get stuck in a wall.........and you have to reload your game.

*goes outside for a walk. comes back 3 years later... and it's still loading!* :rolleyes:

Dez mentioned my pet peeve already: No support for widescreen.
here's a few others:
Weapons stacking = Two Worlds

rediculously long loading times = Gothic 3

And another already mentioned: No joystick support in Freelancer

Dez mentioned my pet peeve already: No support for widescreen.
Hehe ... I'm replaying Jedi Knight - it is 10 years old and *it* supports it! (Sure it does it like Bioshock, but I'll forgive it that ;) )

My top twenty list of the most retarded things in games, in no particular order:

(1) No difficulty options.
(2) Lack of a detailed mini-map.
(3) Lack of a simple quest/objective log.
(4) No save anytime/anywhere feature.
(5) Puzzles.
(6) Timed sequences.
(7) Reflex-based sequences.
(8) Nonlinearity.
(9) Cooking and other mini-games.
(10) Crappy selection of weapons, armor, items, skills, spells.
(11) Impossible last boss and/or last part of game.
(12) High learning curve.
(13) Few experience points given, even for medium difficulty battles.
(14) Too many NPCS to talk to and to many places to explore all at the same time.
(15) Key items that are very small and hidden in the background.
(16) Platforming.
(17) Too much story and cinematics and little gameplay.
(18) No or incomplete in-game tutorial/ helpsystem.
(19) Unintuitive interface including inventory and submenus.
(20) NON-LINEARITY!!!

Stores that have limited supplies of essentials (such as arrows and healing potions). If the makers of the game want to limit how many of those the player carry around it'd be better to just give them weight. A country running out of arrows is ridiculous.

It is actually hard to remember specifics because I end up not playing games with idiot mechanics. Recent in my memory is Overlord's "sweeping the mouse to control minions" idiocracy and Hellgates monthly fee for standard features.

Back
Top Bottom