Mass Effect 3 - Endings Controversy and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm going to collect a few miscellaneous Mass Effect 3 items here.
First, Irian writes the controversy over the endings and the impact of MP on achieving those endings continues with a poll on the BioWare Social Forums showing overwhelming support for a "brighter" ending. The poll hints at the ending (I think - haven't played it) so beware spoilers. As of writing, 36,601 voted "endings suck" vs 881 for "Fine as it is".
On the other hand, Kotaku argues for creative risk and integrity, saying the ending should never be changed (spoiler free, according to Kotaku):
There’s a tremendous difference between arguing and discussing how Bioware should have handled Mass Effect 3’s ending, and demanding they change it. Some are too entitled to tell the difference, but it’s paramount.
A game like Mass Effect, which is clearly designed and carefully built — with every detail of the universe accounted for — could not bear the damage a fan-demanded change to its fiction would create. Its integrity would collapse. This is Bioware’s story — no matter how personal your own existence within Mass Effect’s universe is, that existence was made possible within the confines of Bioware’s authorial intent. Full stop. You don’t get to change that. Once a word is said, it cannot be unsaid.
Similarly, CVG argues the "backlash is idiotic".
Moving on, Joystiq thinks they've spotted a multiplayer DLC and Eurogamer offers a "Face-Off" comparison of the X360 vs PS3 versions.
Back to Kotaku, someone discovered some From Ashes assets on the disc, suggesting the content wasn't developed after the main game was finished. EA hit back with a statement:
From Ashes is a 600 MB+ download with all new content, including the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with Javik, new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members. All of the above content was completed while the main game was in certification and are not available on the disc.
As stated previously, in order to seamlessly integrate Javik into the core campaign, certain framework elements and character models needed to be put on disc. We did something similar with Zaeed and Kasumi in Mass Effect 2.
VG247 has a editorial arguing Mass Effect takes the "role-play" out of RPG:
As manifest in-game, BioWare is constantly railroading players into an established character which exists without the player’s input. I concede that there is one character choice only BioWare should make – Commander Shepard is an excellent soldier. Mass Effect has never pretended to offer anything other than the chance to role play a military hero. Shepard is not an empty slate like many action protagonists; the Commander has established habits, preferences and mannerisms attendent to his or her long and distinguished career.
But within the limits of this characterisation, there should still be plenty of scope for player choice in forming the hero with whom they may spend hundreds of hours, and Mass Effect just doesn’t deliver that. Although the player seemingly makes decisions dependent on what approach they feel suits “their” Shepard best, the game mechanics expose the illusion of choice which glosses over a linear experience. The “morality” system is stricter than a dominatrix, thanks to the Persuade skill – perhaps “binary personality” is a better description.
Lastly, Chris Priestly posts on the official forums that some unlocked MP kits are getting re-locked (they are investigating) and the BioBlog is offering a number of contest opportunities.
More information.

This is not ME3 specific. It's not even the specific case of 'prepping for the DLC'. It seems to come up in game after game. So here's a helpful tip for non programmers: just because code contains traces of something, it does not mean that those traces are proof of mercenary cuts for DLC, conspiracies, censorship, or easter eggs.

In any well-managed product, extra features, content, etc are integrated but hidden behind a switch. This is so that if something goes wrong, horrible bugs are found in that feature, or it just didn't meet basic quality standards, it can be easily and painlessly disabled. This is preferable to risking extra code instability by making large scale changes to rip out the problematic feature, or slipping the release date. When the release date hits, things that are broken are turned off. (provided there's not *too* much broken)

But it drives me nuts to see all sorts of wild accusations thrown around because someone combed through the code and assets and found things that are not in the final product.

The disney ending crybabies are idiotic, ME doesn't do anything rpg-wise, nice to see some articles you can agree with for a change.

We all knew ME3 DLC is stuff you must pay for. Wanna free DLC? Forget ME3 then and get TW2.
Was DLC on game disc(s) or not, does it really matter? No (need for searching a) conspiracy there if you ask me, it's all about your wallet.

Ah it seems for every game that Bioware releases there always is a backlash. Not saying they don't deserve it but there days as the perfect company that cant do wrong is fading.

Also I don't care if there games sell that does not make a game good. People and the industry think quantity sold equals good. I have played smaller budget games that have sold less that have been better games.

For now I'll sit back eat some popcorn and enjoy the backlash.:p

A game like Mass Effect, which is clearly designed and carefully built — with every detail of the universe accounted for — could not bear the damage a fan-demanded change to its fiction would create. Its integrity would collapse.

Really? I mean, it's such an absurd piece of BS, that I have no idea how someone could write it. The integrity of Mass Effect has already collapsed - thank to the awful ending of ME3. And even the best theories on how to twist it that is does not suck, have gaping holes (unfortunately, as I want to believe in them, rather than accept that BioWare could end a trilogy with something that bad).

thank to the awful ending of ME3.

You know, that's an opinion. I actually love the ending(s).

That's probably because I know that hearing whispers and seeing moving inky-shadows only happens if you are not exactly right in the head…

Last edited:
Really? I mean, it's such an absurd piece of BS, that I have no idea how someone could write it. The integrity of Mass Effect has already collapsed - thank to the awful ending of ME3. And even the best theories on how to twist it that is does not suck, have gaping holes (unfortunately, as I want to believe in them, rather than accept that BioWare could end a trilogy with something that bad).

You are right that consistency isn't exactly the hallmark of ME's writing but changing the ending because a section of the fanbase dislikes it is equally absurd. You can't un-play what you've already experienced - and we shouldn't try.

But it's not the problem of it being sad (while it is, to point where it's downer ending), but that's it's bad :)

You know, that's an opinion. I actually love the ending(s).

That's probably because I know that hearing whispers and seeing moving inky-shadows only happens if you are not exactly right in the head…

Of course it's an opinion. And I am quite entitles to it, just you as you are to yours. And just as obviously, I do not think your theory holds water, but that thing was discussed to death in other places, so let's agree to disagree here.

You are right that consistency isn't exactly the hallmark of ME's writing but changing the ending because a section of the fanbase dislikes it is equally absurd. You can't un-play what you've already experienced - and we shouldn't try.

Maybe, but that's and interesting question. If the bugs can be fixed, why not plot holes? Artistic integrity is really a non-existent issue here, with game being written by a large team, rewritten, witch changes on lead writer position and many decision obviously influenced by what marketing team believes will sold best. Also note that for example: often (and with varying success) movies area changed, often when released on different medium or re-released to cinemas (and Star Wars is a rather infamous example here), or that in tv series character can be written in and out depending on fan reaction.
Yes, maybe it is not the same situation, but is it because it's so unthinkable, or because there are no means to change a movie after it's been released? Here we have the means, and BioWare is known for releasing quite a lot of DLC, so I think it is a more complex issue.
Of course, I have a simpler solution, which is to not give any more money to BioWare.

It's hard to read through these threads, because stupid people here seem to be completely unable to avoid spoilers, but personally, I get more and more excited about the ending the more I read about it.

I thought you are going to stop reading ME3 threads because of spoilers ;)

It's hard to read through these threads, because stupid people here seem to be completely unable to avoid spoilers, but personally, I get more and more excited about the ending the more I read about it.

Well you can also say stupid people are stupid for reading spoilers. Go click the link. You know you want to.:p

Well you can also say stupid people are stupid for reading spoilers. Go click the link. You know you want to.:p

You know that since nothing is original anymore and there are expectations for how a story like this plays out based on developer, previous games and history, all these little and not so little hints that are dropped pile up to form a pretty good picture of what will happen. And I've only so much as glanced through the posts in an attempt to not register any potential spoilers!

But it hasn't fully materialized in my brain yet, so I'm pretty safe so far. In any case, I won't mind a... THE END! (...or is it?) ending. :D

Don't worry Thaurin the game is solid until that tacked on ending. It almost seems like they said screw it were out of ideas and time.

I'd like to think that at least on one thing we all could possibly agree on: The topic is complex.

Bashing and commonplace judgement rubs me wrong.

A majority of the opinions voiced come down you are wrong and I am right or the other way around. Yet, there are a lot of differentiated posts and again I'd like to think that's actually a damn good thing.

No opinion is per se right or wrong at least in my book. And for some maybe strange reason, I enjoy following the discussion if and where it takes place. Helps me to understand the motivation better which satisfies my curiosity.

This is a most interesting thing to follow up on and see what impact it will have or not.

Well, the thread name "Endings Controversy" should give a hint that you probably enter a minefield :D.

Don't worry Thaurin the game is solid until that tacked on ending. It almost seems like they said screw it were out of ideas and time.

This is the best short description of ME3 I've seen so far.

Back
Top Bottom