Inquisitor - Official Page Update

I played Hard to be a God and the translations really killed it after a few hours. Once I got to the first major town I literally couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Lots of great ideas coming out of Eastern Europe but execution leaves something to be desired. Inquisitor, Beltion, Hard to Be a God, Heart of Eternity.... hmmm....

Same answer from me. Doesnt sound that special :(

Oh, but there are things about this game that make it special - I probably sounded more negative than I intended.

Story is strong - sense of crisis is everywhere, factions are struggling for power, blaming each other for the doom.
Skills seem to be meaningful and well balanced.

Loot and equipment is various but is not overflowing like in some recent lootfests.

Spells are many and every class has access to some of them - you're not limited even when you play the most melee class (paladin).

Combat is not such a pain, once I got used to controls and get some other characters to fight along my side (they are AI-controlled and pretty effective in fights).

Quests are interesting - some of them are just fetch-type (although even these can have consequences - for example, you force an item out of shopkeeper and lose access to his shop), others are complicated investigative matters, in which you go about, search and collect an evidence to convict a heretic… yet even when you find three witnesses to prove his guilt, you're not quite sure and weight of the decision slows you down.
Also, some of the quests are more "dark and gritty" than any game with any amount of blood ejaculated on its characters' pretty faces could ever be. One of the first cases you investigate is death of a merchant who was found with his penis cut off and stuffed into his mouth. Which is perhaps too much :)

In conclusion, from my <15 hours with a game:

+ Story, dialogs, quests
+ Retro feel
+ Character skills, spells (quick start, many choices later)
+ World response to your class

- Combat
- Animations (…)

I played Hard to be a God and the translations really killed it after a few hours. Once I got to the first major town I literally couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Lots of great ideas coming out of Eastern Europe but execution leaves something to be desired. Inquisitor, Beltion, Hard to Be a God, Heart of Eternity…. hmmm….

Even the worst part of it, from the russian reviews of Hard To Be A God and Farewell To Dragons quest and story writing are really good in them. But only in their native language, poor english translation kills the gameplay in international versions unfortunately.

In conclusion, from my <15 hours with a game:

+ Story, dialogs, quests
+ Retro feel
+ Character skills, spells (quick start, many choices later)
+ World response to your class

- Combat
- Animations (…)

Story, dialogs, quests, retro feel, world response. :) Game for my taste, I saw the combat and animations in the videos, not a big issue for me. Only problem that remains behind is the translation issue that I mentioned before. Anyway we will wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom