Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redguard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Morrowind

Votes: 92 59.7%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 31 20.1%

• Total voters
(As much as I loved Gothic 1 and 2 and Risen, I still wish I had been able to play them in a decent first person mode.)

Here are RPG Watch, it's generally understood that Morrowind was the best TES game and thus far the voting reflects that. Still, some of the supporters of Oblivion are quite vocal.

And oh yeah, Gothic tops even Morrowind, but this poll is not about Gothic.

All the games that appear in a large number of people's top RPGs of all time lists also had a lot of problems. This is particularly true with some of the games made by studios before the age of EA consolidation of much of the game industry as it seemed they were often very ambitious in their design intentions but lacked the resources to polish them.

Just think about games like Fallout 1&2, Arcanum, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Planescape Tormnet. Those games are often amongst peoples favorite CRPGs ever but each of them had significant problems that, to varying degrees, may be harder for some to look past than others.

I do include Planescape torment on that list of flawed works of gaming art even though it is my personal favorite because it was obvious to the player that the game was left unfinished. The simplest example of this (besides the comunity patches which had incorperated thousands of lines of de-activated dialog text) is Falls From Grace's diary. It was clear they meant to do more with that character, but your interactions with here just seem to end abruptly.

So I guess the perceived hate for Morrowind is more the regret many people have over how much better it could have been and the discussion of the more obvious flaws. Even if its someone's favorite game, they will probably be able to tell you 10 things about it that were done just plain poorly.

And oh yeah, Gothic tops even Morrowind, but this poll is not about Gothic.

Something about that game reminded me a bit too much of Ultima IX.

I loved Daggerfall for being able to buy houses and ships, I loved to hate the Iliac Bay politics, and I loved how it gave an answer as to why the Dwemer had gone missing ( ;) ).

I never knew about the Dwemer being explained in Daggerfall. Of course I never came close to actually finishing it. In fact, you're one of the few people I know who has.

Weren't the Dwemer explained at some point in Morrowind as well?

(As much as I loved Gothic 1 and 2 and Risen, I still wish I had been able to play them in a decent first person mode.)

Bah…heresy ;)

I never knew about the Dwemer being explained in Daggerfall.
They weren't, but regarding the holes that allowed you to fall through the fabric of the Daggerfall world I thought it was self-explanatory why and how they vanished.
Of course I never came close to actually finishing it. In fact, you're one of the few people I know who has.
Well, if we're being anal about this, it took me 8 RL years to get this far ^^.
Weren't the Dwemer explained at some point in Morrowind as well?
Yeah, and unfortunately holes in the floor had nothing to do with the official story. Some sources say it was something about a spell gone wrong; if that's correct, then I honestly believe that the spell somehow involved '[ALT]F11', just in a backwards fashion.
Bah…heresy ;)
What else do you expect from a retired bush league FPS player type of person? 0MFG ph34r my 1337 army of :) :D :lol: :roll: . They pwn.

Last edited:
I think the voting for MW has been skewed by hackers. It's DF for the WIN and yes I did finish it my first playthrough despite the bugs and a few hundred patches. :)

I voted Oblivion, but the true answer is the one I'm playing. I always enjoy D,M, and O each time I play them. Arena is a little long in the tooth, but it was fun in the day.

I think the voting for MW has been skewed by hackers. It's DF for the WIN and yes I did finish it my first play through despite the bugs and a few hundred patches. :)

Don't be a hater. Daggerfall was a great game but that auto-maze has to be one of the dumbest things ever implemented in a computer game. I bet they were high when then designed that thing. One time I actually walked from one town to another and it took about a half hour of real time. The town was insignificant but the sense of accomplishment made the town one of my favs.

Still, I just go back to that town in Morrowind with the desert winds blowing and all the residents shielding themselves form the sands. Just an astounding visual for a computer game. If the game had come out a generation later, it might have become one of the best RPGs of all time instead of the best TES game.

Brownie, where have you been? LONG time no see!!

why are you asking for our opinions, dhruin?

why are you not posting another wave of dragonage 2 reviews?

Dhruin's pure awesomeness, that's why.

I voted Oblivion.

It's the one Elderscrolls game that I bothered to finish, and it's the only one I've actually felt was a solid title - after the necessary no-scaling mods.

Daggerfall was WAY too buggy, and it didn't deliver anything near the original promises. It was an interesting experiment - but functionally it was extremely flawed.

Arena was also an interesting game, and I remember being impressed by how big it was. But ultimately, it wasn't something I played much - and I remember getting bored pretty quickly. I preferred games like Ultima Underworld.

Morrowind, as we've been through a lot lately - was just not for me. I found it dreary and hollow. Beautiful and ahead of its time in many ways - but the actual gameplay and flow didn't do it for me.

It's the one Elderscrolls game that I bothered to finish

I've actually never seen the ending of any TES game.

I put around 200 hours into Morrowind, and did everything there was to do on approx 95% of the map, but I never faced Dagoth Ur for some reason. I think I eventually just got burned out despite really enjoying the game for the most part.

Only played Oblivion for 10-15 hours.. I just couldn't get into it. I do plan on giving it another chance someday. Heavily modded of course. :)

I've actually never seen the ending of any TES game.

I put around 200 hours into Morrowind, and did everything there was to do on approx 95% of the map, but I never faced Dagoth Ur for some reason. I think I eventually just got burned out despite really enjoying the game for the most part.

Only played Oblivion for 10-15 hours.. I just couldn't get into it. I do plan on giving it another chance someday. Heavily modded of course. :)

Just play through the Dark Brotherhood quests, at least :)

They've been hyped a lot, and no - they're not THAT good - but some of the writing is pretty strong, and amusing if you like that sort of dark humor.

Just play through the Dark Brotherhood quests, at least :)

They've been hyped a lot, and no - they're not THAT good - but some of the writing is pretty strong, and amusing if you like that sort of dark humor.

I didn't join the Dark Brotherhood in Morrowind because they seemed a bit on the "evil" side, which I don't normally role-play. I'll be sure to check them out whenever I start Oblivion again though.

Back
Top Bottom