Dragon Age 2 - Patch Update - Bioware Working on a Patch

aries100

SasqWatch
Chris Priestly updated the DA2 tech forum with this thread saying that a patch is indeed in the works
BioWare has prepared a patch for PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. We are currently testing the patch and are submitting it for certification with EA, Microsoft and Sony. Certification is where testing teams outside of BioWare confirm the fixes we make and ensure that no new issues are introduced. We continue to test the patch during the certification process to ensure quality. Once the patch has passed certification, it is then released to the public. We do not have a more exact ETA of when it will be available to you, but when we do know when it is available, we will let everyone know.

We cannot reveal to you the exact contents of the patch until it passes certification. We can say that there are more than 100 fixes including gameplay, quest and platform specific issues. We can also say that the implementation of auto-attack on both Xbox 360 and PS3 is included. When we can reveal the patch notes, we will let everyone know.
More information.

Honestly on my PC I had no gameplay issues, the game never stuttered or crashed on me nor I experienced something with weapons or abilities that "felt" wrong.

But I did spot a few questrelated bugs (not very important ones, just cases when the text you say is different from your previous choice, though there is one quest that you can't solve for sure, and thus there can be a few more unnoticed) so for all that matters, this is a nice news.

I've seen some doozies.

Animation speed decreases (so that you look like you're in slow motion, while everyone else is at normal speed in combat)
Damage resistance decreases (some reported DRs of -900%)
Quest/Dialogue bugs and glitches
Severe performace and stability issues with DX11
And, apparently, a ring that kills you if you use blood magic.

Good to hear - and NVIDIA pushed out some beta drivers that help with performance quite a bit, too.

I haven't played any version but didn't the console iterations have auto attack as a toggle-able option in the options menu?

a ring that kills users of blood magic? a bug? being that blood magic is so damn safe and its impacts aren't plastered throughout the story and game world...
i'd say grow a pair but i think a pair of hemispheres (brain) would be needed much more.

Act III Merrill companion quest bug. Joxer, if you even used Merrill and/or did her companion quests you cannot have missed this. Ruined my first playthrough.

Isabela/Sebastian friendship bug. Slows down your combatspeed and/or reduces your damageresistance.

Dragon Age save doesn't import correctly. I put Harrowmont on the throne and could have sworn I saw the last Harrowmont at the docks running from Bhelen's assassins? The hell?

Broken threat system. Warrior swinging a twohander around like nobody business and enemies still manage to break off and run to Merrill because what? She was healing? If the lowest grunt can stunlock a rogue/mage to death on Nightmare, then the game better well have a decent threat system and not roll the dice to see who gets randomly attacked.

Broken quests. Some examples: kidnapped daughter, evil tomes, scrolls.

This is just what I personally experienced. I call that pretty broken. I know it ruined my playthrough

Proper production quality must allow normal walkthroughs.

A number of issues with DA2. You were lucky to escape the 'thumbs up' ability bug which forces an edition of the save game.

When looking to upgrade the companion's armour, you find that one of them suffers from a glitch/bug etc...

Quest triggers broken, quests ending before beginning, save import tool (not as if the continuity between DAO and DA2 did not participate to the hype about the game)

And more. This without telling about abilities that are not bugged but do not work properly (stonewall for example)

Aside from the obvious problems with Merrill and also a minor Wounded Coast-related side quest late in the game, I had very few problems with broken quests, stability and overall performance (maybe three or four crashes to desktop in total, but nothing serious). For a 60 hour RPG with numerous side quests and lots of moving parts, I found it to be a remarkably polished package.

Also, as someone who hasn't owned a proper gaming PC in years, it's worth mentioning that few 2011 releases run as well even on Medium/Low settings while still looking really decent (Origins was fairly low-end-friendly as well but DA2 simply looks a whole lot better without requiring a significant further reduction in frame rate).

I had two broken quests, both in act 3 I think. One was rescuing a girl in the wounded coast and the other was saving a mage named sketch. I didn't encounter the Merril problem, but I ignored her after act 2, so maybe that's why.

My main issue was Varric's pinned shot not working.

I've seen some doozies.

Animation speed decreases (so that you look like you're in slow motion, while everyone else is at normal speed in combat)
Damage resistance decreases (some reported DRs of -900%)
Quest/Dialogue bugs and glitches
Severe performace and stability issues with DX11
And, apparently, a ring that kills you if you use blood magic.

The first two are related to the Isabela/Sebastion friendship bug.

I've played for around 30 hours, plus a few on a different character. As far as I can tell, I haven't seen one bug, and I haven't had a single crash. I'm not in act 3 yet, so maybe I will see some. Also, the load times are really short, and I have an older machine.

The game deserves some criticism, but it is rock solid as far as playability in my case.

Broken threat system. Warrior swinging a twohander around like nobody business and enemies still manage to break off and run to Merrill because what? She was healing? If the lowest grunt can stunlock a rogue/mage to death on Nightmare, then the game better well have a decent threat system and not roll the dice to see who gets randomly attacked.
It wouldn't be the first game to count healing as an attack - I think Dark Age of Camelot did that, too. Or was it Anarchy Online?

Healing as an attack ? I think I remember a game (was it Age Of Wonders ? ) did so as well - but on undead ones !

I've completed the game and really the only major issue I encountered was the NVidia drivers that were recommended when applying the high def textures. That took a couple of hours to figure out what to undo but that was annoying and probably more NVidia's fault than Bioware's fault. I did have one or 2 graphics glitches and 1 or 2 CTD incidents.

I also think I completed all of Merrill's quests and didn't see anything broken there. I apparently missed the unmissable bug. All in all I was happy with the game and got more out of it than I expected. The game was a challenge for me on Nightmare and that is one of the things I was hoping for. I just hope someone can improve the AI before the next time I play it.

Merril's bug can be missed. One of her quests starts with the end but can be pursued without giving full control over it. Others say that visiting a certain King at a certain moment resets the quest that can go on normally.

One bug that seems universal is finishing to upgrade the armour of the ingame tank. Missing for everyone apparently.

It is really sickening that its basically expected that patches will be necessary now. I realize that games are infinitely more complex than they were 20, even 10 years, ago, but I really do miss the days when most games that went to market went completely ready to play.

Come on people, do some QA work!

Back
Top Bottom