Fable 2 - Hi-Res Map

Do they really think this is what people were asking for? The problem is not with a map I could hang on the wall, the problem is the lack of the map ingame. The only time when maps look alright is on loading splash screens - but then it's only shown partially, only place currently being loaded is marked and it's kind of inconvenient to look at loading screens when you need wold map. The "normal" map in the regions section is very small and all the objects are colourless and transparent(similar to this one, by the way). I didn't even understand it was a map at all until very late in the game.

... why does this all bring me back to Dungeon Lords ...

True enough - the in-game map in Fable 2 is among the worst I've seen in years.

The original Fable also had a somewhat poor map implementation, but it was still miles ahead of the sequel map.

I take this as yet another sign that Molyneux isn't and never was a genuine gamer. He's more about toys and neat little features than a thorough meaty game.

It seems his process of making a game starts with a REALLY cool idea - and then he spends pretty much the entire development phase guessing and analysing what people want to make it "fun" enough. He wouldn't have to guess and he wouldn't miss glaringly obvious things like a crappy map, if he had a proper understanding of game design.

I think he'd be a brilliant toy maker - or simply an "idea" man - but as head of Lionhead, he's holding back the enormously talented developers working there. They have some of the finest programmers/artists/sound guys/etc. in the industry - and I think they rival Blizzard in many of those fields.

Too bad they don't have more than a loony visionary to guide them.

Back
Top Bottom