Dragon Age 3 - Tidbits from ComicCon

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This video has been up for a week and I've finally had the time to watch it. Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider lead this presentation at NYCC, covering the Dragon Age franchise. The video starts with discussion of the next Dark Horse comic product but around 3:02, turns towards the next Dragon Age video game. Laidlaw promises more strategic combat, saying "you're gonna want to make sure you are worried about positioning...expect this to take a much, much, much stronger part of future Dragon Age titles". He also says they'll make use a larger map with more locations that DA2, although it won't be an open-world game, because that's not what BioWare do. All in all, it's positive stuff but the proof will be in the pudding, as they say.
More information.

That's funny they spent all that time defending and tell us how great their decisions in da 2 were. Now that there on to da3 there ripping on da2 and telling us how da3 will fix it all.

also, That audience is annoying.

Even they realize DA2 was a failure. By failure I don't mean economic failure, I mean failure as in compared to the standard BioWare themselves set years ago. They may be interested in making as much money as possible, but they're not stupid - they've always been considered on the same wavelength as Blizzard in terms of always delivering quality, and their reputation (and ability to make money) depends on them keeping that reputation.

I see two possible paths for BioWare in the future:
1. They pull their act together and continue to develop high quality games.
2. EA squeezes too hard, lowering the quality even more, and eventually they're swallowed up just like Westwood and similar.

I simply don't think DA2 quality stuff is an option. Not over time. It's either going to get better or worse.

Shamefully, you can get DA2 for 8 bucks off of Origin right now, they list a 60% off code on the game page. I bit finally, time to see why everyone was so damn pissed.

Shamefully, you can get DA2 for 8 bucks off of Origin right now, they list a 60% off code on the game page. I bit finally, time to see why everyone was so damn pissed.

Unfortunatelly I lost my card yesterday but I might get a new before the weekend. That said, I do not see the code.

Even they realize DA2 was a failure. By failure I don't mean economic failure, I mean failure as in compared to the standard BioWare themselves set years ago. They may be interested in making as much money as possible, but they're not stupid - they've always been considered on the same wavelength as Blizzard in terms of always delivering quality, and their reputation (and ability to make money) depends on them keeping that reputation.

2. EA squeezes too hard, lowering the quality even more, and eventually they're swallowed up just like Westwood and similar.

I simply don't think DA2 quality stuff is an option. Not over time. It's either going to get better or worse.

What you are pointing out sir is totally right :)
This is what I am saying the whole time since DA2.
They where hypeing DA2. Saying how great it is. That this new look(gameplay also) is great and much more better than DA1. Really!? I said. No way!
If DA2 was before DA1...then, I say it is not so bad game. But after a very good game like DA1, gamers would expect a much better, equal or slightly worse sequel. Which, of course DA2 did not deliver(unfortunately).
It was all about tricking the gamers&profit. EA played a big part of it.
So. Now Bioware wants to get out from the pit which have they fallen into. Because the new and know that DA2 is not a such great RPG. Obviously.
And now. They want to make it right with DA3.
I actually hope they do so. But there is a slight chance they will do that.

Sounds fine - and as much as I think DA2 was a gigantic missed opportunity, I'm ready to give them another chance.

But there's no way they're going to get me hyped about it.

They managed to kill most of my interest with DA2, if the game gets good praise from gamers, I'll pick up a copy when the price drops.

Hopefully, DA3 won't have EA stink all over it.

Hopefully, it won't have Bioware money hungry stink all over it as well. I highly doubt they give a rat's ass about their original fans anymore, if they ever did. They were filling a hole in the market for RPGs when they were small and now that they've grown to epic proportions they'll be catering to the casual crowd now.

Need evidence then just look at Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins and then look at their sequels.

I have no faith that DA 3 will be any better than DA 2. I hope they prove me wrong because Origins was a great game and would like to play a proper sequel to it.

Hopefully it won't have Bioware money hungry stink all over it too. I highly doubt they give a rat's ass about their original fans anymore, if they ever did. They were filling a hole in the market for RPGs when they were small and now that they've grown to epic proportions they'll be catering to the casual crowd now.

Need evidence then just look at Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins and then look at their sequels. I enjoyed MA2, but for an entirely different reason than I enjoyed MA1.

But....

This is GAMING Skavenhorde.

It's not the evil Empire trying to dominate you with Sith filth!

Yes, it is gaming and unlike you I am not paranoid about ads or giving away free games, but I do happen to care about if the game's quality sucks. That's all that counts when actually PLAYING a game.

Now tells us some more about how paranoid you are about the ads. Come on, I know you want to.

Yes, it is gaming and unlike you I am not paranoid about ads or giving away free games, but I do happen to care about if the game's quality sucks. That's all that counts when actually PLAYING a game.

Now tells us some more about how paranoid you are about the ads. Come on, I know you want to.

You're being paranoid about Bioware and paranoid about others being paranoid.

I think you're about ready for the mad-house Skaven... Off you go now!

Enough Dartagnan!

You want to be an jerk then do it somewhere else.

Need evidence then just look at Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins and then look at their sequels.

I have no faith that DA 3 will be any better than DA 2. I hope they prove me wrong because Origins was a great game and would like to play a proper sequel to it.

I can forgive Mass Effect. But no way I can forgive what they done to Dragon Age!
The sequel to DA is a disgrace. That game is not worthy of carrying the name "Dragon Age" (for a sequel). I played DA:O&DA:A twice & enjoyed it.
Started playing DA2. Uninstalled at chapter 2.
Did not even got close to my PC for two weeks that's how upset&depressed I got from IT. :)
Could DA3 bring back the epicnes of Bioware's RPG genre and their pride and honor? I am not sure. Little chance for that.
Specially if EA has to say something about it.

That's exactly what I think as well. I liked Mass Effect 2, but not as an RPG. It was just fun shooting things and throwing my powers around walls. Even the plot was ok……until the ending. I still can't believe that ending.

I have no real faith that DA 3 will be any better, but I'll wait and see. If there is even a hint of it being as good as Origins then I'll get it and enjoy the heck out of it like I did with Origins. A good first start would be to bring back being able to choose different races and different start points. I really liked that.

Has any developer been swallowed up by EA and managed to maintain their quality level and integrity over the long term? Anyone know? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head however I can think of several where the quality changed and the developer eventually was swallowed up by EA.

I think the fact that EA is branding some of their other divisions "Bioware" isn't really a great sign. At best, it dilutes the Bioware name by putting it on crappy stuff like Facebook games.

As for DA3, sorry but I am done. Even if they fix everything wrong with it gameplay-wise, I hate the tone and art direction of DA2. To me it's not even in the same universe as Origins and never will be. I really like Brent Knowles' style and loathe Mike Laidlaw's so while I do feel there are many gameplay elements they need to improve upon from DA2, there are other factors at work for me as well.

I wish they would just call it something else honestly. I'd probably still pass on it, but it wouldn't bug me like it does calling it Dragon Age. At any rate, I will do what I did with Ultima, remember the good pre-EA games and erase the crappy post-EA games from my memory.

Then you have a communications problem.

Back
Top Bottom