CD Projekt RED - REDEngine 2 teases Witcher 3 again?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a screen from CDPR's REDEngine 3, which we know will power Cyberpunk 2077, but the accompanying screen looks rather fantasy-based:
“Combining a non-linear story and open-world RPG for the first time, CD Projekt RED’s REDengine 3 brings a new level of realism to the gaming experience.” And then there’s CD Projekt RED boss Adam Badowski, saying: “If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world, and one that builds a vast, open world but hampers and simplifies the story. With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story. Together with believable characters, a captivating tale and a world where players can roam freely without loading times, we will be able to move gaming to a new level with a realistic feel and full player immersion.” Sounds a lot like what we might expect The Witcher 3 hyper to sound like, eh?
More information.

If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world, and one that builds a vast, open world but hampers and simplifies the story. With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story.
I want that game today! No. Yesterday!

I'm not expecting anything revolutionary. This is just the usual Pr of promoting how great there game will be. Always tamper your expectations as developers never deliver on what they hype.;)

Still interested but I have doubts.

...one that builds a vast, open world but hampers and simplifies the story

I'm pretty sure that was aimed at the TES series :lol:

I certainly wouldn't mind the beauty of TW2 enhanced by some of the openness that I felt was sacrificed in comparison to TW1.

I'm not expecting anything revolutionary. This is just the usual Pr of promoting how great there game will be. Always tamper your expectations as developers never deliver on what they hype.;)

Still interested but I have doubts.

Especially when what is claimed to be delivered is that hard to be delivered.

The non linear story is a multi branch scripted story coming with a plot to advance.

The demand: the plot needs to be advanced. And from that point, the openness of a game world can put itself on the path of advancing the plot.

Therefore, one dimension has to be favour over the other. When you go for an open world, with depth and surprise, you have to give up on an over complex storytelling. And vice versa.

Open worlds and scripted stories generate incompatible demands.

Isn't what they are trying to do what was done with Gothic 3. (except hopefully without all of the bugs)

Bet we still will be limited to only walking/running. No free climbing / jumping or diving like in TES or early Gothics.. No one seems to have the balls to do that anymore. Sure, it makes the development 100x more complex to do that but imo it's not true open world if you can't freely explore and interact with the enviornment. Time will tell i guess :)

Isn't what they are trying to do what was done with Gothic 3. (except hopefully without all of the bugs)

I dont know, I'd say G3 was a good example for vast open world, but lacking in the story department.

"Open worlds and scripted stories generate incompatible demands. " - I think you're partially right, but I wouldn't necessarily say incompatible. I think it's more that, during game design, as you increase the openness of a world and the richness of a story, simultaneously, you exponentially increase the difficulty of achieving your goal. Or something. It's doable, but it's God damned difficult.

Usually, you end up compromising on one instead. Like allowing nonlinearity but not as much consequence for choices made. Or making the stories more independent, so they aren't connected to external (perhaps wildly divergent) events.

If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world, and one that builds a vast, open world but hampers and simplifies the story.
And then there´s one called Fallout: New Vegas ;).

Personally I hoped that The Witcher 3 would follow the model of Gothic 2 - few big areas with rewarding exploration and unrestricted movement (swimming, climbing), perhaps linked via map travel to retain the game´s likely different sense of scale.
But if they can pull off a mix similar to Fallout: New Vegas, I´m fine with that too.
Looking forward to what they´ll come up with.

It was tried to be made, but the game got out unfinished. G3 should have been in the developent for a year more than it actually was.

But the story with CDprojekt is that their product doesn't die when released, they don't leave bugfixing and unpayed job to fans (as Bethesda) nor kick devs (like JoWood did) but they enhance the game. Thus I bet we'll see a great game.

Story pacing and direction suffers greatly from the open world format.Even New Vages had that issue.

Bet we still will be limited to only walking/running. No free climbing / jumping or diving like in TES or early Gothics.. No one seems to have the balls to do that anymore. Sure, it makes the development 100x more complex to do that but imo it's not true open world if you can't freely explore and interact with the enviornment. Time will tell i guess :)

this.this.this.

Been hankering for a game with jumping/climbing since I picked up gothic 1 from a discount bin and got the shock of my life when a bandit climbed up on a rock after me.

Story pacing and direction suffers greatly from the open world format.Even New Vages had that issue.

That is the point.

Things come with constraints. If you go for an open world, the scripted story must be simplified. If you go for a scripted story, the world must be simplified.

Gamers are used to demanding that incompatible things are made compatible.

Not a bad deal for developpers as they know they are unable to deliver therefore it relieves them from success/failure judgement.

I certainly wouldn't mind the beauty of TW2 enhanced by some of the openness that I felt was sacrificed in comparison to TW1.

I second that emotion. Not only the open nature of 1 was sacrificed, just the overall number of characters and lore was significantly less than the original game.

I liked 2, but I definitely felt it was one step forward graphically, and two steps back content-wise.

I second that emotion. Not only the open nature of 1 was sacrificed, just the overall number of characters and lore was significantly less than the original game.

I liked 2, but I definitely felt it was one step forward graphically, and two steps back content-wise.
I liked TW1 more, it felt like TW2 didn't have the 'soul' that the first had. I remember reading the lore for every little thing in TW1, getting immersed into the world was so easy, and the atmosphere was fantastic. All in all I felt that everything apart from the graphics was dumbed down for The Witcher II, but I guess not many people feel the same way -- so I don't expect anything to change.

No, unfortunately 2 was pretty much universally hailed as the superior game and an improvement over the first!

And it didnt help that the choice to release it DRM-free helped gain it a couple solid points of fanboy love right out the gate, had people loving it before they ever played it. I count myself as one of them, I pre-ordered the thing myself

I cant say that it was a bad game and i didnt have fun with it, but the truth is I couldnt wait for it to finally end. When it did, I started another playthru - of the first game!

There were so many memorable characters, quests, and whole sections of the first game that secured it a place up there with my all-time faves. There was a handful of memorable characters in 2. Not to mention (but i'll mentiion it anyway) Alchemy/crafting was completely fucked up in the second game, I dont remember the specifics but i remember it wasnt good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom