Obsidian Entertainment - Building Better Worlds Blog

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As the Project X countdown reaches one last day, J.E. Sawyer has posted a blog entry about creating new worlds, obviously paving the way for their upcoming reveal.
To feel for characters at all, we need to make a connection with them. To make a connection with them, we need to believe that if we were put in their shoes, maybe we'd follow the same path they're on. When we talk about mature themes, we're not describing arterial spray. We're talking about character motivations that we sympathize with in the setting. When we get to our nemeses after hunting them down for 50 hours and they say, "Man, do you see what I have to deal with?" we nod and say, "Yeah, I guess I do..." even as we're reluctantly beating their faces in with a morningstar.

But it's not a one-way street. Those characters need to be with you. They need to pay attention to who you choose to be and how you choose to conduct yourself. It's why we love writing conversations as dialogues, exchanges with give and take. If we've built a world you believe in, your choices won't feel like random button clicks. They'll be decisions that make you think, maybe trouble you, possibly annoy you from time to time. And when your companions, friends, enemies, lovers, haters, et al. react with jeers, whooping, or the RPG equivalent of a sustained Citizen Kane clap, you won't feel the invisible hand of the market designer at work. You'll feel like you're at home in the world we, and your choices, have shaped.
I wonder if their Kickstarter profile will come in handy? Josh Sawyer has also been thinking about The Black Hound, writing about how and why it broke convention on his personal blog:
Some people have suggested that I hate high fantasy or want to subvert high fantasy. Neither of these are really true. I just don't like how most stories handle high fantasy: both too seriously and not seriously enough. Too seriously in the sense that a lot of fantasy conventions are considered so sacred that you can't touch them (or even question them). Not seriously enough in the sense that the scenarios and the characters don't feel like they tackle the obvious questions raised by the settings they're placed in.
More information.

Awesomesauce. Across the board.

I'm very excited about this.

I wonder if Josh has read any Joe Abercrombie. I think he'd like it a lot.

What's so special about him? Tried to get into his works twice, but couldn't. He is obviously a better writer than e.g. McTiernan, but this doesn't automatically mean that his works are more fun to read.

Actually I think the opposite is true. Being original isn't everything.

Enough already - what is it, my precious? Eh?
I enjoyed Abercrombie's first few books - but the later ones didn't really grip me. I loved the black humour - good inspiration now that I'm playing Inquisitor (should have called my character Glokta ;) ! Burned two heretics yesterday...after racking one. I feel positively wicked.

I read the title and couldn't help but think of this.

272px-Weyland-Yutani_Corp._Logo.gif

We're about to hit the reveal day.

Back
Top Bottom