Watch in trouble?

More RPG sites is not a good thing? LOL. Thanks for the laugh, bud! :lol:

More RPG sites is not a good thing? LOL. Thanks for the laugh, bud! :lol:

Is there any need to be so smug? I said it is not necessarily a good thing. Can you not accept the idea maybe one large community might have advantages over several smaller ones, and that fragmentation might be a downside?

The problem is, you're looking at it as fragmentation when that's simply not the case. It's expansion, the end result which will bring in new members.

It's not splitting the party, it's growing it and sharing with everyone.

We're all trying new things. No one is leaving the 'Watch as far as I know. We will still contribute here, but we will spread our wings and work on our side projects as well.

P.S. There is no forum "migrating". We're not birds. No one is asking you to "swear allegiance to a new forum king".

You can be part of both communities and be happy. You do understand that, right? o_O

The problem is, you're looking at it as fragmentation when that's simply not the case. It's expansion, the end result which will bring in new members.

No, the problem is you asserting that it will only result in expansion. It might do, but it could also result in dilution and fragmentation. To deny the obvious risks of a decision is just silly.

I choose to focus on the good things that can result. It's much better for me to focus on good outcomes. ^^

Everybody is entitiled to their own projects. It is not a paid job afterall. As long as noone uses RPGWatch in any fashion to get something from others (like developers and publishers) and publishing the result of that on an other location than RPGWatch.
It would be really unfair to the publishers and developers and might even negatively impact the relationship RPGWatch has with them. Although there could be reasons to negatively impact relationships (like low score reviews), this should not be one of them.

I think things are better than ever, here at The Watch. Exclusive interviews, articles, videos, reviews, retrospectives, and more. Lots of great contributions lately.

Some of you guys need to un-clinch. :)

We're not talking about entitlement, though, we're just considering whether it's a positive development or not.

Yepp.

No doubt intentions are good, and if it all turns out for the best, I welcome that. But I think it's wise to not disregard the risk for negative outcomes.

pibbur who wishes for the best, no matter what. But who is at the same time a little bit worried. Which maybe mostly says things about him.

I been gone for little while and when I got back I find there has been schism at the Watch:(.

I don't see multitude of similar forums as good thing since I don't think community is big enough for it .I truly hope this is expansion rather than division, I guess will find out soon enough.

Well I don't see any point to register on multiple rpg game forums. This place has been my favourite sites ever since rpgdot went down and it will stay that way as long as watch stays independent free site for rpg gamers. Watch has always been a good place to have intresting discussions about rpgs and games in general. And most of all in a friendly civil manner. I don't see this changing even if Fluent and Couch would launch their own sites and would start posting more exclusive content on their own sites…

If people want to start a new forum then more power to them and who am I to question that but as HiddenX has said before, this is a niche site and another forum has the *potential* to split users and if that happens we will all be poorer for it. People have limited time and that time will be split between forums and hence we will have split user base.

Posting video on Youtube or even having discussion social media site like facebook, twitter might bring more people to this forums since they have chance to appeal to younger and new audience who don't normally use forums but by creating another forum you are not really appealing to new audience and you are appealing to the current forming going people.

For a forum to thrive you need certain critical mass and you also need people with *different views* as well, otherwise you cannot have a discussion. If we all sing the same song it will get boring very quickly.

And remember, the road to hell with paved with good intentions…

All else being equal, it seems to me that the best strategy would be to use Youtube and social media to attract people to the Watch - that way you grow the community, without the potential problems of fragmentation. When I say fragmentation, I don't necessarily mean that individuals will split up between the sites, but people are not likely to start posting three times as much over three sites, and therefore the amount of contributions on any one site will surely be diluted, at least until such time as the audience grows three-fold, which strikes me as a tall order.

However, I think what we have here is the desire by some of the team to put a semi-professional level of effort into the enterprise, and thus they would like some kind of remuneration. That probably does require some kind of split, as I suspect the majority here would be happier with more modest contributions, and keeping money out of it.

I think you all should at least have your accounts ready. I mean I think you need at least a year to enter General Discussion, and the same to be able to brofist. And you will wanna do it.

I think you all should at least have your accounts ready. I mean I think you need at least a year to enter General Discussion, and the same to be able to brofist. And you will wanna do it.

If I can't "brofist" immediately, the deal's off.

If I can't "brofist" immediately, the deal's off.
I think you could do it immediately if you become a patron. But you would have to make a donation. Would you agree to make a donation? You could send a pm to DU or post at Site Feedback.

Back
Top Bottom