Torchlight II - Review @ Gamespy

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamespy has a review 5/5 for this game. Here's a quote about the combat:
I felt pretty badass right from the start, thanks to the Rapid Fire ability turning my shotgonne into an assault rifle as long as I had mana to spend. Imagine a firehose of bullets that pins all but the biggest enemies against the wall. Then imagine the satisfaction when, 10 skill points later, the range extended to the point where I could simply push enemies I didn't want to deal with off screen. I later picked up Rune Vault to quickly evade boss attacks with big tells, Burning Leap to charge forward and set groups of enemies in my path on fire, and Glaive Sweep to do a 360-degree attack with knockback while I'm in their midst.
More information.

It's likely a buy from me, but I am also interested in impressions.

Total blast so far for me. Level 8, and about to get my grind on bigtime. Lotta killing, lotta loot, get some more and time to scoot!

-Carn

Can you tell bit more about skill tree and itemization in game(weak points of first TL in my opinion).Is game more casual or is it aiming to compete with D2/TQ.I am going to but this in next few days for sure.

"I felt pretty badass right from the start"

Indeed. Feels like i'm playing in God Mode. Disappointed to see i can't play this with a controller, a lot more comfy to play these sort of games laying on the bed and seeing it on the big screen, hardly a game that requires precise movements.. Other than that it seems like a fairly nice game, very nice artwork, the combat is super easy but has a nice feel to it. I can tell already it's not something i will play all the way through, but for 18 euro its worth checking out. Hopefully they will add controller support in a patch.

Indeed. Feels like i'm playing in God Mode. […] the combat is super easy but has a nice feel to it.

But one review pointed out that you can play it on hard mode right from the start, unlike the Diablo's. Is it easy even on the hardest difficulties?

Disappointed to see i can't play this with a controller, a lot more comfy to play these sort of games laying on the bed and seeing it on the big screen

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed about this, too, as I agree that Action RPGs feel great with a gamepad… however, there are lots of hotkeys in Torchlight II that you can use, right? So isn't it more geared towards mouse/keyboard, anyway?

But one review pointed out that you can play it on hard mode right from the start, unlike the Diablo's. Is it easy even on the hardest difficulties?

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed about this, too, as I agree that Action RPGs feel great with a gamepad… however, there are lots of hotkeys in Torchlight II that you can use, right? So isn't it more geared towards mouse/keyboard, anyway?

Might be so.

Anyways, i started over on the hardest difficulty and while it's still easy in the begining it does get a lot harder ;) Very addicting gameplay i have to say (playing as an Engineer). Wasnt sure i was gonna like this since i didnt care much at all for Torchlight 1 (and hardly any games in the Diablo-like genre). For $20 it was easily worth giving it a shot, glad i like it more than i first expected.

Wasnt sure i was gonna like this since i didnt care much at all for Torchlight 1 (and hardly any games in the Diablo-like genre). For $20 it was easily worth giving it a shot, glad i like it more than i first expected.

That's good to hear, because the first Torchlight couldn't captivate me for long, either. I appreciated it for what it was and it was done well, but it didn't give me enough incentive to keep playing. I hope the story in Torchlight II is at least enough to keep me moving forward.

Story and lore is as "meh" as one can expect in a game like this, but i was well prepared for it, so i don't really care. It's basicly all about looting, killing and leveling up in a nicely done world.

I've put a couple of hours into T2 and at least to me, it is infinantly more fun than D3. Just the LAN option alone that let's me play with my two boys was worth the $20.

Back
Top Bottom