Lords of the Fallen - Full Interview @ OnlySP

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OnlySP has posted the full interview with Lords of the Fallen’s Producer Tomasz Gop.

Lords of the Fallen, the upcoming RPG by Deck 13 and CI Games Studio, has gotten lots of people quite excited. Promising to deliver a hardcore gameplay experience in an RPG package, Lords of the Fallen has often been described as a European Dark Souls. We recently spoke to Lords of the Fallen’s Executive Producer Tomasz Gop about story, gameplay, tech, and how his experience with The Witcher has shaped Lords of the Fallen’s development. And, of course, we get his opinion on single player games.
More information.

I can't find any screenshots or gameplay videos. What is the point of marketing it when all they will release is a teaser trailer? I despise teaser trailers. They have nothing to do with the actual game.

I can't find any screenshots or gameplay videos. What is the point of marketing it when all they will release is a teaser trailer? I despise teaser trailers. They have nothing to do with the actual game.

Here's a few screenshots:

http://kotaku.com/three-screenshots-to-prove-that-lords-of-the-fallen-is-512826705

Information about this game has been pretty limited so far, but it's apparently not coming out until the Fall. However, this interview has greatly reduced my interest in this game since it sounds like it will be a strictly combat / grinding oriented game with a mediocre, generic story and no C & C... So why would I want to waste my money on this when I'll probably be busy with The Witcher 3 when it comes out?

With a focus on quality gameplay, numerous comparisons to Dark Souls and awesome screenshots like those, I think this looks like one of the most promising RPGs on the horizon.

Can't wait for that gameplay trailer. :D

daveys said:
However, this interview has greatly reduced my interest in this game since it sounds like it will be a strictly combat / grinding oriented game

Grinding? Where did you pull that from? Do you know what grinding is?

Grinding is only applicable to mindless, easy combat. This preview speaks of challenging tactical combat and improving by learning from your mistakes which is exactly what you get with an engaging, and deep combat system.

Grinding is like getting from level 42 to 43 in an MMORPG just through turning on auto attack on trash mobs and relying on your damage numbers being high enough to have you end up winning, regardless of tactics or skill applied to the battle. Maybe your double damage move is off cooldown so its time to put in the front of your rotation? Still grinding.

With a good combat system it would be very hard to write a macro that would play better than you. Good action combat is almost impossible to do well with the latency issues of MMORPGS which mess up your timing though lost data packets and the like, so you get bad, simple, grindy combat. "Gear check" combat where you'd have lost doing the exact same combination of moves had your level been a little lower.

Some people say Dark Souls is all about grinding, but that's simply them taking that option because they didn't have the skill to take the skill option, or the knowledge to take the knowledge option. What one man uses his skill to beat with a level 1 another uses his grinding to beat with a level 50. This doesn't make the game about grinding. That's just all you could think to do, and the designers expected MMORPG grinders and accommodated this play style while making it wildly inefficient.

Still, in the end, if the battles in RPG games are painful for you maybe you should just go watch that new Hobbit movie or play some point and click Adventure games instead, cos good action RPG games are all about the good action gameplay…. Which we have yet to see!

Back
Top Bottom