Precursors - Official Site Launched

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As foreshadowed a week or so back, Deep Shadows has launched an official site for their space-faring FPS/RPG, Precursors. Here's a snip on the backstory:
Precursors, predecessors, the legend of galaxy… Who are carrying the forebear’s genes among existing races, we can suppose only…
Worlds of galaxy are everlasting, beautiful, unique and dangerous. Some of them are inhabited, some ruined and deserted, others - just a smugglers trans-shipment stations.
Some world are only at the beginning of evolution, others are falling into decay. Only when you’ll pass through all these worlds, sense a heat of blazing lava-seas and chilling cold of abysses, see the stark heavens, you will realize, how capable the natural forces. Only when you’ll meet corrupt judges, mendacious politicians, unselfish protectors and cruel tyrants you’ll understand passions of society. When you’ll reach an unexplored sectors of galaxy and come across a mysterious natural phenomenon, fly through the tail of the comet or dive into the casual portal, only then you’ll perceive the infinite depth and diversity of the universe.
But this is just a prospection and nobody knows what exactly this journey will be, we can only assure you that it will be unforgettable…
More information.

While I'm personally excited about both of their new projects, I have to suggest we all should be a little impressed by some of the information they put on their site. In the modern gaming climate, it's awfully brave to say things like:
Theoretically all of core gameplay elements are significant and equally interesting, but we consider “Precursors” as an RPG in the first place.
and
Since we got inspired by such games as Free Lancer, Free Space and X3, our flight model will be closer to simulations style more then to arcade one.
It's definately a departure from the <heavy paraphrasing>"Oh please, please, please don't call it a RPG"</heavy paraphrasing> remarks from the Bioshock folks (which, of course, I'm very excited about as well) as well as so many other developers and publishers these days.

And, of course, I'm happy they developed it as a PC game with intent to port to console instead of the frequently devastating other way around. Of course, Bioshock seems to be doing this very right as well, albeit through different means, and I'm awfully happy about that!

Of course, I hope Deep Shadows is able to live up to their claims. But I felt Boiling Point was an admirable effort and wish these folks success on Precursors and White Gold. I certainly plan on buying both as much to support a company willing to do something a little bit different as to play.

I just hope that their English translation skills get a lot better.
Yeah that's certainly a big issue with Russian and Eastern European games (as, IIRC, was discussed in another thread here within the past few days). Of course, I've seen and heard a lot worse. Out of recent memory, Secret Files: Tunguska was SO painful to play. The translation and voice-overs were nearly catastrophic to my enjoyment of an otherwise decent adventure game. I don't remember being put off nearly so much in Boiling Point (although I haven't played it in a long while).

Since we got inspired by such games as Free Lancer, Free Space and X3, our flight model will be closer to simulations style more then to arcade one.

The only good thing about Freelancer was the intuitive, smooth as a baby's plump rump flight model. Keep away from everything else when designing Precursors, thanks.

Something that annoys me - but isn't necessarily tied to the development team - is how there is a lot you can do interface-wise in futuristic, science-fiction games with firstperson combat but they've chosen to go with traditional HUD conventions.

I am very hopeful for both of the new games they are working on ... thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom