Fallout 3 - Review @ RPG Codex

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't really kept track of the deluge of Fallout 3 reviews since the initial burst but the Codex writes in to say they've kicked up an opinion:
As we all know, voice acting is nothing without the right dialog. In this regard Bethesda delivers… something. There’s good dialog, there’s some bad dialog, and then there’s some “so bad it’s good” dialog. Most of the bad dialog really isn’t that bad if you stop to think that the person you’re talking to just might be crazy, and there sure are a whole lot of them 200 years after the world was obliterated. Maybe it’s the radiation. As the player, you are given a wide range of options to choose from. Thankfully, and unexpectedly coming from Bethesda, choices are not “ghost” choices. That is, two choices don’t end up giving you the same response. Choices are also filled with skill checks. The whole game is filled with numerous skill checks for practically everything you do, along with dice rolls to accompany them, but dialog is where it is most apparent and most thoroughly used. Still in this general area, it is well worth noting that “wrong” choices don’t usually lead to an attack. You suffer consequences and can live with them.
More information.

That's surprisingly positive for RPG Codex. I'd have thought they'd be more critical.

...of course, that mistake gets remedied in the thoughtful comment section. :D

Last edited:
...and the hivemind devoured itself...

Nice review, chefe, I found it informative and helpful and among the better reviews in that respect.

This is how i prefer reviews (with little if any 'blogg' effects) - Chefe keeps his eye firmly on the overall picture of the game and doesn't drift into any ego boosting self stimulation like some reviewers tend to do.

It's diffcult not to discuss further implications of "consequences" and "karma" without going into deep spoiler mode but they are cetainly there (maybe in another thread sometime later)

...here's a taste...

At first i had morality issues of killing npc's and maintaining "good-karma" levels, i somehow don't agree that killing or stealing should maintain karma rewards which can be ajusted in-game by the player at any time!, an almost nonsensical approach for a "good guy" player.
Yet Emil Pagliarulo (lead game designer) tries convincingly to suggest it is o.k to turn a blind eye to maintaing karma by killing while Ivan Pely (FO-3 artist) refers to "many temptations" i call these "karma diversions" subjectively of course i think karma levels should reduce with no player adjusting. Contrary to this however, because the game scenario is 200 years after the bomb post-apocalyptic era, then this is exactly how it might well be in which case the designers visions of future devastation could fit exactly..kill or be killed, survive or waste away.

This You tube video link contains some "SPOILER" aspects.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GABzWHuIZ_4

I think most younger FO-3 players will kill at will because of this perceived implication.

Not a bad review -- I found myself nodding in agreement repeatedly; in particular about the things that jarred, such as the 200-year time difference that feels more like 20 years tops. So far, the dialog has been pretty cheesy, but I suppose I could just pretend everybody's gone insane, like Chefe suggests.

In the kind of world they live in it would be hard not to go crazy since in the real world people go crazy for far less then what those people have to go through.

You could pretend that with every game out there or have some other excuse to justify it and that would make every game have good dialog automatically. Point is you agree with this review because you enjoy the game. You are part of an hivemind too.

You could pretend that with every game out there or have some other excuse to justify it and that would make every game have good dialog automatically. Point is you agree with this review because you enjoy the game. You are part of an hivemind too.

As are you.

Chefes comment on the dialogue can hardly be construed as a compliment. You all failed at the hivemind thing :)

Seriously there are some bad dialogues in the game however there are some classic conversations in there. I wish I took some screen shots because they were really good....sad that most people who post up screenies go for the bad ones.

A scientist with ants was good and a vault gone leave it to beaver were two that I really enjoyed....if you played those parts then you would know what I'm talking about.

The quest Those! ? As in, the fire ants? What was the good dialogue in that? That I asked for pointers to great quest content (be it dialogue or great NPCs) in another thread and got such an underwhelming response (even from ardent fans) says a lot, I think.

There are some great moments but they are spread pretty thin, in my opinion.

You honestly thought the scientgist had bad dialogue there? Honestly. Sure the ants were a pain in the arse but I liked the dialogue with it.

Yeah, the dialog kinda sucks. My best moments so far have been related to the environment -- I've either sought out or, more often, stumbled into some pretty cool places there, with genu-wine Fallout humor and spirit somehow woven into the fabric of the place. This is where FO3 is at its best, and at those moments it really is quite good.

The general opinion of the Codex is that Fallout 3 is a 7/10 (for what i have seen) and that is taking Fallout as a quality reference. It's not a bad game you won't enjoy but it's far from being as satisfying and non-linear as Fallout (the main quest being the responsible for most of the linearity). The writing and the humor are not the same quality overall, however there are a few moments in side quests, where it matches Fallout quality.

Liked the review, took a quick look at some of the comments and remembered why I very rarely ever visit the Codex!!

It sounds like he feels guilty about liking the game, lol.

I for the most part agree w/ a lot of what he said, tho he sounds a bit bored w/ the thing and kinda "yeah, i have to admit that i like it...". I personally dont notice the soundtrack really at all, probably turn it off pretty soon. He really tore into soundtrack tho - no love for 'ol Inon Zur from Chefe, that's for sure!

It was almost kinda funny how worked up he got over that.

Overall I have to say that I'm quite surprised how well the game runs and looks, on the technical front i have to say that I'm quite impressed. More is not always better, id rather have a game that runs better and has less bells and whistles.

Back
Top Bottom