GamerEuphoria - Morality Systems Need to be Less Black & White

Thanks for that link, Couchpotato.

Hmmm, when somebody pointed out that the Witcher series have always espoused a more complex morality system, the author replies
I do say it's a good example of a morality system but there a few (and i do mean few) examples of decisions being a little black and white. I've posted a few articles on the Witcher franchise (including a glowing review of number 2), i just pointed out that even the good uses of morality can often fall in the same pit hall. I'll be set for a replay through both Witcher 1 and 2 before the hype train really starts for 3, chances are I'll write a far more in depth look at the Witcher games in terms of choice, morality and consequence.

Personally, I've always liked the dilemma of choice in the Witcher series and I think it has the best implementation of "morality" that I've seen. No arbitrary points system or color-coded meter to show the sort of person you are. Just consequences that play out and fit neatly into the game narrative.

To achieve what this article demands, the morality set must be established through the game universe.

Most games have no time for that and morality sets are imported from elsewhere. The Witcher series is a perfect example with the dwarf ranting on absolute morality etc

It is probably another psychological trick, to allow players to be in a virtual universe a person they would like to be in the real world.

At the present point, as another article read, morality systems should be left aside. They can only be done poorly, without no depth or credibility.

Since when was Fallout 1 and 2 considered modern day? Perhaps you should look at the context of the piece, MODERN DAY games, not the golden years of RPGS.

I think that this is a hint towards the RPG genre as such - its success and its evolution - that we still cite games like Fallout as examples of "modern" games where choices really did exist - because the *modern* RPG genre has clearly moved into the hack & slay sub-genre created by Blizzard, where no choices exist, only loot.

There simply are not many memorable "modern" RPGs with choices - everything's (imho) been overwhelmed by fast-action hack & slay.

After reading it a few times i don't think he's only talking about the RPG genre, even more so looking at similar posts one the front page

Back
Top Bottom