Eschalon: Book 1 - Now Available

I got one +2 mercantile as random loot from the first dungeon. When I rerolled and went it through again I didnt find any books from there. Nor have I found them from anywhere else. Bad luck I guess. :(

Same situation on books for me. Looks like they're random loot, at least in the opening zones.

@Corwin- can't use the Basilisk forums. Tried to change my email several months back and pooched my account. BW thought he fixed it but no such luck. Tried to set up a new account, but my IP is already linked to the old account so their forum seems to think I'm a spambot. Perhaps someone else here could send the bug along to Basilisk for me?

@Corwin- can't use the Basilisk forums. Tried to change my email several months back and pooched my account. BW thought he fixed it but no such luck. Tried to set up a new account, but my IP is already linked to the old account so their forum seems to think I'm a spambot. Perhaps someone else here could send the bug along to Basilisk for me?

I pmed basiliskwrangler and asked him to contact you here.

Same situation on books for me. Looks like they're random loot, at least in the opening zones.

I've been saving and reloading a couple of times, there seem to be chests that have higher value loot than others so one can shake out a few goodies that way.

on skill books, i didn't see one until 12 hours in at level 5 or so, and that was in a shop way up north. *shrugs* of course, i'm not in to re-loading to re-loot...

on skill books, i didn't see one until 12 hours in at level 5 or so, and that was in a shop way up north. *shrugs* of course, i'm not in to re-loading to re-loot...

I don't suppose you've seen any for skills other than mercantile and alchemy? Just trying to work out what to avoid wasting precious skill points on.

You can train archery and throwing weapons and alchemy for money in one town. It seems theres plenty o points to go.

Cool, I'll avoid spending anything on archery or throwing weapons then. I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and pick up divination for cats eyes.

I don't suppose you've seen any for skills other than mercantile and alchemy? Just trying to work out what to avoid wasting precious skill points on.

The only other skill book (I think) I've seen so far is for picking locks. That was at Bordertown.

I'm using a bit of Div magic with my Ranger for access to Cat's Eyes, Healing, Leather Skin and Entangle. It's working out pretty well so far, espcially now that I'm able to cast level 3 spells.

The only other skill book (I think) I've seen so far is for picking locks. That was at Bordertown.

I'm using a bit of Div magic with my Ranger for access to Cat's Eyes, Healing, Leather Skin and Entangle. It's working out pretty well so far, espcially now that I'm able to cast level 3 spells.

I think that cats eyes is pretty well an essential spell, it'd give a huge combat advantage in the dark.

I'm wondering how much a rogue build does really, they don't seem to have any backstabbing type abilities unless I'm missing something.

I've seen a book on Light Armor, too (well, saw it in a shop, but didn't buy it), so I'd have to assume there's a book for every skill.

Also, you can train cartography with the sailor in the tavern in Aridell, if you do his quest. ;)

Also, you can train cartography with the sailor in the tavern in Aridell, if you do his quest. ;)

And you aren't mean to him, like I was screwing around with the dialogue options. No cartography training for me! Again, old school. No pansy-ass-say-whatever-you-like-'cause-we'll-go-easy-on-you-and-let-it-slide crap.

None of you guys actually roleplay? I apply skills where I think my character would apply skills; if a skill book turns up (aren't they random, like the other loot? Can't count on that) that negates one of my prior choices, so be it. ;)

Spreadsheet gamers unite! Get with the program, Dhruin! ;)

None of you guys actually roleplay? I apply skills where I think my character would apply skills; if a skill book turns up (aren't they random, like the other loot? Can't count on that) that negates one of my prior choices, so be it. ;)

I've done that so far but my character does feel like a bit of a pansy as a result. There's some things I'd rather have used the skill points on in retrospect :(

I've found skill books for bludgeons, mercantile, light armor, alchemy, hide in shadows, lockpicking, and swords. This is just off the top of my head. There may be more available or even some that I forgot to list. You can buy cartography, bows, alchemy, divine magic, elemental magic, cleaving, swords, and short bladed weapons in various towns. I haven't finished the game, but it wouldn't surprise me to find a way to train every skill up to level 7 without spending a single skill point. I generally use my skill points on my class skills and save the lesser used skills for when I find a trainer or a book. One HUGE advantage for thieves is that each lock picked or trap disarmed you earn xp. A good idea for a munchikin player is to save/reload the beginning area chests until you get the gloves that add +3 to skullduggery and the gloves that add +3 to lockpicking. This way, even if you're not a thief, you can get decent xp from lockpicking and trap disarming. Please note, that a failed disarm can be harmful, though rarely fatal.

I think you're close, but I know that the alchemy trainer will only go up to level 5 and the cartography trainer has a limit no higher than 5. IIRC, the general feeling on the Basilisk boards is that (like you say) there's trainers and books for everything.

Back
Top Bottom