Pricewatch!

If anyone wants to give an old school Fantasy/Adventure game that Alrik highly recommended a go, Steam has The Book of Unwritten Tales for $4.99 till Feb. 21, just picked it up myself.

That was one of my xmas sale buy. Nice little game.

That was one of my xmas sale buy. Nice little game.

It sure is.
Installed it this afternoon and been blown away with how well made this game is. From the graphics to the voice acting to the story with all of it's subtle but funny quips based on other fantasy works from Tolkien to Star Wars and games like WoW.

It's the first adventure type game I've played since Dreamfall I think but a great game to revisit this genre again.

Thanks again for the recommendation Alrik.

According to the reviews the sequel The Critter Chronicals is even slightly better.

Pricedrop currenty on GOG on many games:
http://www.gog.com/news/new_pricing_experiment

A few titles are definetly worth buying from the list if you don't have them yet. For example Outcast (4€), King's Bounty: The Legend (7€) and Ceville (7€).

Also a week of sales on Gamersgate. And also many stuff to grab if you don't have those yet which includes different editions and packs of Gothic series, etc:
http://www.gamersgate.com/offers

If anyone wants to give an old school Fantasy/Adventure game that Alrik highly recommended a go, Steam has The Book of Unwritten Tales for $4.99 till Feb. 21, just picked it up myself.

Yeah, buy it ! You won't be disappointed ! ;)

It sure is.
Installed it this afternoon and been blown away with how well made this game is. From the graphics to the voice acting to the story with all of it's subtle but funny quips based on other fantasy works from Tolkien to Star Wars and games like WoW.

It's the first adventure type game I've played since Dreamfall I think but a great game to revisit this genre again.

Thanks again for the recommendation Alrik.

That's exactly describing my own experiences with the game, too.

According to the reviews the sequel The Critter Chronicals is even slightly better.

If you can get that - the better !

BOUT and TCC can come in 1 bundle - you've got to check if this is the second game only, or the bundle.

This looked interesting to me since it came out but I never bought it for some reason.
Any opinions of the game?

Ceville is imho an mediocre Adventure game - not bad, but not brilliant either.

I only played the first part, because I couldn't find good clues to the riddles …

What makes "Ceville" unique, however, is that you play an EVIL protagonist !
Or, in other words, that you play the "lesser evil" … ;)

Edit : THe "Carnnival" man, how is he named in the English version of BOUT ? I'm really curious ... Because his German name has a tale behind it ...

Ceville is imho an mediocre Adventure game - not bad, but not brilliant either.

I only played the first part, because I couldn't find good clues to the riddles …

What makes "Ceville" unique, however, is that you play an EVIL protagonist !
Or, in other words, that you play the "lesser evil" … ;)
Ceville is not a masterpiece.
However… Puzzles are not too easy and some are unbelievably original, never seen such ones elsewhere. But trust me, when you solve any of those puzzles, you'll feel great.

IIRC SPACE or TAB will show you pickable key items, it's not a cheat but a must in some areas (for example, without it it'll be hard to pinpoint a tomato to grab from a field).

It's different from some other annoying adventures where you see a thing, "feel" you'll need it later but you can't pick it up unless someone told you that you should get it - here if something is possibly needed somewhere, you may pick it although noone told you "look, that thing is very important".

Dunno about clues, I have an english version so perhaps german version really doesn't have good clues. Thus I had no problem with clues however.

The game doesn't lack of humor. As Alrik said, you play an evil character. But in fact not quite. You'll play more than one character… You'll see. :)

The game is definetly not mediocre, it's very good. If there was a sequel, I'd buy it instantly.

This looked interesting to me since it came out but I never bought it for some reason.
Any opinions of the game?

Ceville is alright, and that is about it. Puzzles were a bit uninspired, though they were not actually bad (though neither were they really all that good), and many of the jokes managed to feel forced. Also, none of the characters managed to make me feel emotionally engaged in the story. It did have a charming aesthetic though.

The game is definetly not mediocre, it's very good. If there was a sequel, I'd buy it instantly.

Perhaps some of its fun got lost in translation (so to say) ?
I don't know. I think I'll continue at one point, however.

Right now I'm already playing both BOUT and Haunted …

Yep...that Thief deal is absolutely phenomenal for people who don't have any of the games. Hall of Fame games for $2.49 each (ignoring Deadly Shadows, of course)...Steam is truly a beautiful thing.

Yep…that Thief deal is absolutely phenomenal for people who don't have any of the games. Hall of Fame games for $2.49 each (ignoring Deadly Shadows, of course)…Steam is truly a beautiful thing.

I thought Deadly Shadows was quite good. It had issues, most of which were related to it being released on a far weaker system as well as the PC (this is why they had to cut up the levels), but it was a lot more consistent than Thief 2 in terms of level quality.

GMG has The Critter Chronicals for 10€/$ minus 20% discount.

XCOM cost 20$ minus 20%.

Dungeon Lords MMXII is on sale everywhere for ca. 3.84€.

after buying the Republic DLC for Crusader Kings 2 in the last Steam sale I can officially say I have absolutely no game I want to buy right now. All the games in the world could be free tomorrow and I would be like 'meh'. Blame Steam sales for that!
Other than my 10+ pledged kickstarter games I'm only looking forward to the Old Gods DLC for CK2, Europa Universalis 5 and Chaos Chronicles.

For anyone thinking of getting Bioshock Infinite, GMG has a great preorder deal. You get $15 of store credit plus two free games.

You can choose from Civilization V, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line, The Darkness II, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

GamersGate is also offering the same deal if you prefer them.

For anyone thinking of getting Bioshock Infinite, GMG has a great preorder deal. You get $15 of store credit plus two free games.

You can choose from Civilization V, Mafia 2, Spec Ops: The Line, The Darkness II, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

GamersGate is also offering the same deal if you prefer them.

That is really nice deal for all that plan to buy Bioshock:infinite(I already preordered it long time ago) from all those game I would recommend original Bioshock and Spec Ops:The line which does have mediocre gameplay but very good altho somewhat disturbing story (I haven't played Mafia 2 nor do I intend to).

What are the opinions on Civilization V? I've actually never played any of the Civ games if you can believe that. I know the earlier titles are generally regarded as some of the best PC games of their time, but I haven't heard that kind of hype about Civ V.

@Nameless one - I'm mildly interested in The Line after reading the synopsis. You say the gameplay is mediocre, but does it at least "feel" like a PC title, or is it an obvious console port?

Back
Top Bottom