Drakensang: TRoT - Download Version Released in NA

"Less clothes and more action" They got the cultural differences right.

Yes, and that's insofar disturbing because this "less clothes" thing stands in stark contrast to the "no nakedness" in games, TV etc. in the U.S. ... Nipplegate, for example ...

I think the German cover looks a lot better than the NA one. It just seems more mature and thoughtful. It certainly doesn't surprise me that they would make an alternative cover for the NA market that appeals to sex and action though. With that being said, as long as the content of the game stays true to the original German version, it really doesn't matter very much to me what the cover looks like.

Especially since there is no hardcopy available in the US. Strikes me as strange that there is updated cover art for a cover that doesn't exist. Is there a hardcopy release forthcoming?

I don't know, but I do know for sure that this cover is at least half a year old, if not even older.

To me, the new cover looks more like the cover of old crpgs from 80s, which is nice. :)

Hmph. Do I really want to add another 2.3 GB to the 12 GB of games I have bought but am yet to download due to my ludicrous 2GB traffic cap? At least I have the option since it appears it's formal and NZ is the 53rd state (or maybe another Canadian province) and I actually can buy it.

Every second game uses SecuROM. The critical question is which SecuROM features are used.
dtp's retail games usually only use an offline version. Standard disk check and copy protection. But that's obviously impossible for DLs.

It'll be revocable once only online activation if GG's other titles are anything to go by. Which is pretty much exactly what any game bought from GG has through GG's own downloader*, and they do guarantee they will reset activation counts if necessary.

It's probably a consequence of GG not having a client program, as such it's… pretty easy to bypass the GG downloader's own 'DRM' (skip its online check), though you do still have to be online and logged in to download in the first place, of course.

*practically, every single DD service including GoG has at least one time activation since, well, you need to be logged in to download the thing in the first place. Guess it sucks a bit for those who hate SecuROM, but then the only problems I've had with it have been positive (for disk check versions having any DVD in the drive passes a disk check on my computer. I thought the disk check for CivIV had been patched out in 2007 due to that bug)

You have to have the Impulse client installed for downloading/ installing/ patching the game, at minimum, though once installed you don't have to have it running and can even uninstall the client if you wanted to. Nobody has mentioned having a SecuROM activation from that version though it isn't listed as DRM free on Impulse so far as I can see.

Strangely the Impulse download appears to be 400Mb larger as well.

Interesting - even though the download size (Impulse) states 2.74GB, it will error out with "not enough disk space" even at 10 gigs free on the hdd.

It could be that the stuff is FIRST downloaded to where the TEMP variable points to (drive C: , usually), and THEN the stuff is being copied to where you wanted it to "land down" … My browsers often have this habit.

This is exactly what happens (I had the same problem). You can change the location it will store the temp file in preference (it is a bit tricky to find). Once I changed the location it downloaded and installed without issues.

It could be that the stuff is FIRST downloaded to where the TEMP variable points to (drive C: , usually), and THEN the stuff is being copied to where you wanted it to "land down" … My browsers often have this habit.

Yeah - it finally worked out. Just sort of an annoyance given that the download is really only about 3 gigs.

Anyway - only played a short while, but I like what I've seen so far. The English voice acting is rather flat, but not unbearable, I suppose.

Gah, I still hold out hope for the SecuROM to vanish from one of the places offering the sale...kinda like how it vanished for Starpoint Gemini. Looking through my very odd backlog, it seems I've actually not yet installed a single game with any manner of DRM going for it of this ilk as it kinda takes the winds of impetus out of the old sails somehow---perhaps I'm just sick of needless hoop jumping.

Meh, still bound to buy it at some near point as the price, and probably the game, is still too fine indeed----especially when the modpack on here gets in fine working order with the DD outlet versions.

Does anyone know of a boxed english version of TRoT? Does that even exist, or is it digitial only for the english release?

In Benelux and Spain.

Thanks. The expected answer I guess :)

I would like to import, but unfortunately it's very unclear if GameMania ships internationally. And on Ebay there are mostly italian versions with the english name (River of Time) - and again it's unclear whether or not those are multilanguage releases.

I guess the easiest solution is to get the digital release...

Back
Top Bottom