best mmorpg?

Best mmo out there?

• World of Warcraft

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Atlantica Online

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other (if other please post which mmo)

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

lm8dark

Watcher
What's your view on this guys? Im looking for a new mmo and maybe you can invite me to a good mmo.

I think the good mmos are as follows

WoW
LotR
Atlantica

any other?

This looks like an advertisement for Atlantica, but whatever... D&D Online and City of Heroes are the best I've tried

Atlantica since it's the only one I've tried among the three.

But I guess many people would choose WoW anytime...

Indeed. Most definitely World of Warcraft. If you've played the predecessor-games, the Warcraft series, you'll notice that the Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft lore is simply amazing. Not to mention that there are many RP/RPPvP servers to play on, which makes it even better.
However, the game is very addictive. Of course, it depends from one person to another, but chance is you'll become addicted to such an amount that it becomes unimaginable. I known and have seen several people who messed up their study and life because of the severe addiction World of Warcraft has to offer. I, for one, have been a World of Warcraft player, destroyed one year of college for the sake of role-play that was going on on the server.
Not all too long ago, an expansion has been released, also known as the Wrath of the Lich King. Personally I think that expansion pretty much destroyed the whole fun of playing the game. It was utter and complete boredom. I hope the upcoming expansion, Cataclysm, shows much more promise.

I have not played the other MMORPG games you've put in the poll, so I can't really choose. But this is my advice; give World of Warcraft a try and see if you like it. If you do, be sure to visit a role-play (RP), or a role-play player-versus-player (RPPvP) server. These offer the best gameplay experience.

Also, if you aren't aware; World of Warcraft does require a fee to be paid monthly/each three months/etc. depending on your method of payment. If you can't afford/want it, you could always try a free one. If that's the case, I'd recommend Perfect World, also an awesome MMORPG from Malaysia. Give it a try as well, I'd say!

@Graeme

So envious right now. I've always wanted to try WoW but time and financial constraints have prevented me from doing so. My alternatives are Atlantica Online and Luminary: Legend of the GoonZu since both are free and are made by the same developers. :biggrin:

And I don't mean to go against you but a lot of people say that WoW is overratede and is selling out. :-/

So envious right now. I've always wanted to try WoW but time and financial constraints have prevented me from doing so. My alternatives are Atlantica Online and Luminary: Legend of the GoonZu since both are free and are made by the same developers. :biggrin:
Ah fair enough. I haven't tried those two games myself, but now that you mention it, I might check it out. Thanks!
And I don't mean to go against you but a lot of people say that WoW is overratede and is selling out. :-/
You have a valid point, yes. World of Warcraft, as stated in my previous post, has been way down of popularity among the veteran players due to the crappy expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, hence why most veteran players quit, myself included. Of course, the preference of expansion storylines and it's flow depends from one person to another. However, if/once you can afford it, I'd suggest giving it a single try, to see if you like it. Perhaps you do, perhaps you don't. :)

Yeah... I haven't tried it WoW yet but it's on the top of my list because you can't talk about mmos nowadays without including wow. I did play the warcraft series and I agree with Graeme and the wow lore is the best feature of the game in my opinion.
I've heard some rumors that wow will become ftp.. is it true or am i just refering to a different game?

I still miss Star Wars Galaxies the version before they started patching. Tried AOC, Warhammer, Wow, Lineage, Lotro and some more. Everyone of them was good for some time but quit all of them when i reached a point where you had to start endless farming or raiding to progress further. I sometimes logged on in star wars galaxies only to have a chat with some friends in our player town and it's especially that social component i miss in all other games.
Only Guild wars is left for some quick fun in the random arena but rather feels like a game of chess than a mmo.
At the moment there is no "best" mmo for me but i really hope for kotor online.

but quit all of them when i reached a point where you had to start endless farming or raiding to progress further.
That's true. Shame it turns out to be that way though. I think the developers should focus more on actual storyline as well as real-time gameplay, rather than farming, killing and the such. In World of Warcraft, for instance, once you reach level 70 (Pre-WOTLK) or level 80 (WOTLK), the major part of gameplay would be farming and raiding. Not that I haven't been a hardcore raider myself, but it really spoils the whole fun of playing the game, honestly. If the developers keep focusing on combat more than actual gameplay, they could as well just call it an MMOFPS than MMORPG — just an indication of how much I dislike the recent ways of things that Blizzard Entertainment has put forth.
At the moment there is no "best" mmo for me but i really hope for kotor online.
It's TOR, the Old Republic. Not KOTOR. KOTOR has been declared "shut down", by the developers, so to say. It's a shame that they won't let us know about Revan's fate, however. I hope some of his whereabouts become more clear in TOR, should it be coincidence — whether it be dead or alive, I want to know what happened to Revan.

Too bad that many people feel that way about wow. bliz team seems to be lacking new good ideas atm

Good news then. Will wow be ftp? Also another game to look forward to imo. Star wars old republic I think. The trailer rocks. ^^

so many people complain about MMORPGs "end game". What do you expect a good end game to be? In my case, I don't play the 'end game'. Once my character attains all the abilities/skills/spells available for the class, it's game over since I don't care about replacing a +10 INT hat for a +11 (and doing the same dungeon 20 times until I get it). What would be a (realistically possible) end game for you? Specially if you don't PvP.

Well in most cases, people do tend to go pvp-wise. In most current mmo's, the story line is cr@p so it's better repeating stuffs. aside from gaining fame via crafting/fishing and such. it's just the pvp at the end game

I wouldn't say that. The upcoming add-on provides quite a lot of change in the game.
Indeed. The new expansion's trailer does show a lot of promise. But so have the other expansions, The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. What happened? Both have been less than we expected them to be, specifically Wrath of the Lich King, in my opinion. I shouldn't be too quick to judge though, seeing as not all too much has been revealed as of yet. I do hope this expansion becomes better than it's predecessors.
Good news then. Will wow be ftp? Also another game to look forward to imo. Star wars old republic I think. The trailer rocks. ^^
I'd agree with you, most definitely. Star Wars: The Old Republic's trailer is one of the best I've ever watched, literally. The developers of The Old Republic promised to create a game whereas you could experience both single and multi-player. I wonder how that goes once we acquire the game itself. Hopefully the developers keep all of their promises (of which I doubt still, seeing as it's quite hard to perform whatever they've promised). However, BioWare is god at creating wonderful storylines and gameplay, as usual and seen in the KOTOR series as well as Jade Empire. If their promises are true and fulfilled, I will stick to the game without a single doubt -- and I'll be most certainly satisfied.
so many people complain about MMORPGs "end game". What do you expect a good end game to be? In my case, I don't play the 'end game'. Once my character attains all the abilities/skills/spells available for the class, it's game over since I don't care about replacing a +10 INT hat for a +11 (and doing the same dungeon 20 times until I get it). What would be a (realistically possible) end game for you? Specially if you don't PvP.
Is this a reference to The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, or MMORPG games in general? Either way, it really depends on the preferences of each individual. In MMORPGs, an "end" isn't of much consequence if you ask me. Why? Because the focus is mostly revolving around the PvP and PvE parts. Personally I think a good storyline is a must-have in order to play properly and experience real fun. Take World of Warcraft for instance; in pre-TBC, everybody was actually enjoying the purpose of the game; not hard-core raiding, nor hardcore PvP. Now, in Wrath of the Lich King (and also possibly the upcoming expansion) it's all about PvP... and perhaps little PvE. Why? Because the way Blizzard Entertainment performed after The Burning Crusade, was simply poor. Many people -- and I mean a lot of people -- either quit the game... or retired for a temporary time, due to the lack of originality. It became way too repititive. I don't think anyone thought about something like this before, but a good "ending" would be an initiation of some scene whereas people can't move or do anything (basically they're watching a scene like at the beginning of a game), after beating a boss or whatsoever. My idea though... not all too brilliant I guess.

I am totally voting other on this one. I play one called Ryzom that I think is the best. I think that the issue is that everyone has their own personal preferences and that is where the problem comes in in identifying the best MMO.

Other but I can't count it yet. Mortal Online is shaping up very nicely. We'll see what shape it's in six months after she's released. I missed out on Ulitma Online but, even with all it's hairy warts at this point, Mortal is showing me exactly how cool it is to have a sandbox with nothing but player generated content. It has been very fun and rewarding.

Eve Online. The best for me, no doubt about that.

Back
Top Bottom