Drakensang Is this game a classic, or just the right game at the right time?

As a fan of Drakensang. No. There isnt much to go back for. A really good rpg needs to have something more for the second play through. For example Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, i seem to be finding something new for that game all the time. @_@

First, I have to tell that I had a great time with Drakensang. I'd like to see better RPGs, but playing this game was quite satisfying. It definitely is not a classic, but it is a great game.
I specially liked character progression and combat.
Why wouldn't we complain that everything looks the same? Isn't that part of immersion? That the developer builds a convincing world? I saw all these buildings and was disappointed to find I couldn't enter most of them. I mean, that one town, Tallon was it? You can't enter any buildings IIRC.

Yes, but the rats are running through my characters... unless they're ethereal rats from the Astral Plane, then they shouldn't be able to do so. Not to mention the camera freaking out whenever your characters position themselves in battle underground. It just shouldn't have had to be this way. I don't see how you never noticed this unless you didn't have any spellcasters? For me, critters, orcs or otherwise ran straight through my characters homing in on my spellcasters/archers.
In Tallon you can enter the temple, but I can see your point. However, I think that's not the real problem with Drakensang.

You mentioned enemies running through our PC's. Now this IS A PROBLEM. In a heavy fight, when I order my characters to do something different (example: attack a different enemy) the whole scene turns into a mess. Everybody (PCs and enemies) starts running in circles, enemies run through my PCs, people go here and there aimlessly and somehow, PCs manage to get themselves wounded in no time.
My second problem with the gameplay was controls and the camera, which didn't work as they should. Terrible isometric camera, and poor third-person (behind view) controls.
I didn't like the story as well. It didn't feel quite right. Can't say it was cliched, but it wasn't epic material either.

First, I have to tell that I had a great time with Drakensang. I'd like to see better RPGs, but playing this game was quite satisfying. It definitely is not a classic, but it is a great game.
I specially liked character progression and combat.

In Tallon you can enter the temple, but I can see your point. However, I think that's not the real problem with Drakensang.

You mentioned enemies running through our PC's. Now this IS A PROBLEM. In a heavy fight, when I order my characters to do something different (example: attack a different enemy) the whole scene turns into a mess. Everybody (PCs and enemies) starts running in circles, enemies run through my PCs, people go here and there aimlessly and somehow, PCs manage to get themselves wounded in no time.
My second problem with the gameplay was controls and the camera, which didn't work as they should. Terrible isometric camera, and poor third-person (behind view) controls.
I didn't like the story as well. It didn't feel quite right. Can't say it was cliched, but it wasn't epic material either.

Yeah, I was pretty drunk when I wrote all that, but I still feel the same. Actually I'm a bit tipsy right now. The point being is that Drakensang is a good game, it's just not a classic. That said, I believe many other big time developers could learn a few things from this game.

Me too. 85% is the correct rating. Really a good game. One or two consequently improved sequels and they can crack the 90%.

I've just become very, very jealous: I'Ve read about the Polish Collector's Edition:

1. Box
2. Drakensang game
3. Manual
4. Guide Book
5. Skill Tree/Poster
6. Fan Kit DVD
7. Soundtrack (audio CD)
8. Aventuria Map/Poster (Graphic from standard box – front cover)
9. Character Sheet from original The Dark Eye RPG system
10. Secret Message (another letter from Ardo - if you decipher it, you will get a code that allows you to get an unique item in the game)
11. Drakensang „keys holder”
12. Dwarf metal figurine
13. Drakensang T-Shirt

This is far more than there was in the German CE, imho !

Source: http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=11636

God knows I wanted to like this game... I really did... but it's just too damn bland. Rather then rant and rave, let me just make a nice little list:

1. Atmosphere: It's bland. It's boring. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. It had some nice details like the little leaves floating down rivers, leaves and little seeds flying in the breeze, but otherwise it was terribly generic. The trees look like crap. They have bunches of leaves that aren't connected to anything. They picked the safest, and most boring set of trees possible. Why must everything be set in summer? You can only enter certain buildings and when you do, it seems to be the same thing over and over again. Boring Germanic tudor homes (sorry Germany) and bloom effect designed to blind us all. We've seen this all before.

2. Characters: Some were nice enough, but most were bland. Where is the variety? Why can't we have someone interesting rather then the absent minded wizard, the lone woodsmen, the stalwart paladin, nature loving elves. BORING. NO. Don't do it anymore. When making a game, this should be the perfect opportunity to express yourself. Make something interesting! Don't be bound by what other game settings use. Who the fuck cares what Tolkein's elves are like!

3. Lore: TDE may be good and deep and all, but this game sure ain't. I barely got any worthwhile info about this game's setting. A few loading screens explained some crap, but that's about it. What's supposedly so great about this world?

4. Combat: It sucks. Having rats run through your tanks to get to your mages and all is lame. No excuse.

5. Stats: Actually, I liked this. They did good. I thought even the social skills got used a fair amount... though they could have expanded a little bit more and made combat NOT so necessary.

So, that's my expert opinion. If anyone has any comments, I'll be in my observatory. THANKS!

Come on! If you had gotten a pony in the game, you would have written up a better critique!

Back
Top Bottom