Rampant Games - D&D and Computer RPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Rampant Coyote has written a response to an article I posted about at Tom’s Guide's last week. In case you missed it here is the link.

The title is a bit of a misnomer – it’s more of a story about, “How the Bioware / Obsidian D&D-based RPGs came to be.” Which is just as interesting to a fan, but perhaps doesn’t have much broad appeal.

While not offering new truly new information, I was interested in their take on what caused the ‘death’ of the style of game represented by the Infinity & Aurora Engine games. According to Urquhart, it was the trend towards making cinematic, console-style games. This made the kind of breadth of choice offered in their CRPGs prohibitively expensive. Publishers were no longer interested, instead focused on more linear, lusciously realized game worlds. Or, in my view – the dominance of the third-person action game!

Then there’s the little hint of a promise at the end that these guys would be interested in taking on a D&D licensed product again, and plugs for Project Eternity and the South Park RPG.

As far as the D&D system is concerned – while I’m personally a fan of 3.5 (and an even bigger fan of its spiritual successor, Pathfinder), the last edition of Dungeons & Dragons left me pretty cold. I’ve never been a huge Forgotten Realms fan, either.
More information.

Urquhart's opinion pretty much matched my general impression at the time, and helps explain the success of Kickstarters like P:E and T:ToN. Cheers for the revival of a long lost niche gaming industry.

As for D&D, well I think Pathfinder has assumed that nostalgia mantle for the moment.

Always wanted to try D&D but I don't know anyone who plays it.

Always wanted to try D&D but I don't know anyone who plays it.

when I had the itch about 10 years ago, I went to the d&d site (wizards of the coast back then, not sure now) and they have forums where people post openings for their groups by city/country, that's how I met my d&d group. Of course, if you live in a small town or a remote area you'll probably be out of luck :)

As for D&D, well I think Pathfinder has assumed that nostalgia mantle for the moment.

Hmm, where are the Pathfinder equivalent AD&D goldbox games though? D&D still has my heart as far as pure role-playing nostalgia goes.

Regarding Pathfinder, is strange why no one CRPG appeared using this system yet (except that kickstarted MMO...).

Played AD&D for the first time in over 20 years this past Wednesday night with six of my buddies. Man it was a blast. Went thru the old module The Lost City. We are going to start playing again once or twice a month.

We wanted to start playing again because my one buddy who was a huge gamer and AD&D fan passed away last month. We wanted to do something to honor his memory and we had been talking for years to start playing again. We won't ever be able to play with you again Bill but you will always be in our memories.

This one is for you Axeslinger.

Pathfinder seems to do relatively well in Germany as well …
And, as far as I know, Ulisses (the current holder of the TDE license) also currently holds the license for Pathfinder for Germany …

Back
Top Bottom