What to get past games with guns

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
How to get past games with guns

Though back in the late 90's I was very addicted and very good at Counter Strike have never been one to play games with guns. I was able to look past the fact the Pillars had them as they weren't the main focus weapon of the game.

To be completely honest I don't think I have ever played a game like fallout because of it. There are some very interesting games coming out soon that I want to play like Elex.

How do I get past the fact I like my RPG's where I am using a sword ……

Last edited:
Try Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Features guns and melee weapons. Great game if you haven't played it yet.

What exactly is it you dislike about games with guns? Hard to tell you how to get past it if we don't know the reason…

Fallout 1 & 2 are some of the best CRPGs ever, so you're really missing out there. And you can play both of them with melee focused characters if you prefer (obviously some enemies will use guns).

You could also try playing any of HBS' Shadowrun games with a melee focused character (physical adept or melee Street Samurai in SR Hong Kong), and mages or shamans. You may find you want to take along some of the gun-toting companions though.

What exactly is it you dislike about games with guns? Hard to tell you how to get past it if we don't know the reason…

Fallout 1 & 2 are some of the best CRPGs ever, so you're really missing out there. And you can play both of them with melee focused characters if you prefer (obviously some enemies will use guns).

You could also try playing any of HBS' Shadowrun games with a melee focused character (physical adept or melee Street Samurai in SR Hong Kong), and mages or shamans. You may find you want to take along some of the gun-toting companions though.

I don't like guns, don't like the fact the are in a world I live in. I really can't stand anything to do with guns.

If you can't face me with your fist or sword, I see no honor it. Zero honor in death by a gun, I can't think of a worst death then by someone with a gun.

So you see the problem I have...it is a personal belief there is ZERO honor in death by gun.

I don't like guns, don't like the fact the are in a world I live in. I really can't stand anything to do with guns.

If you can't face me with your fist or sword, I see no honor it. Zero honor in death by a gun, I can't think of a worst death then by someone with a gun.

So you see the problem I have…it is a personal belief there is ZERO honor in death by gun.

Well, when we're talking about the real world I don't really like guns either. (Of course I don't like any kind of real violence, but sometimes it is necessary for defense). However, for some reason I never had a problem using them in video games… If if it fits in the setting, then I just accept it as part of the game.

I'd tell you to remind yourself it's just a game, but I realize that goes against the whole immersion factor of RPGs…

But perhaps you'd enjoy playing Fallout or Shadowrun and role-playing a character who only fights with swords or fists. Then it would be only the "bad guys" who fight with guns. Unless the mere presence of guns in the game would bother you.

It's totally possible to get through FO 1 &2 with melee characters. Same with Shadowrun. In SR-DF and HK you'd be more limited in your companions, but could take along the mages and other melee oriented characters.

Or maybe give Arcanum a shot.. Pretty easy to ignore guns in that game considering most would tell you the technology-oriented skills kinda suck anyway.

Interesting you bring up Arcanum, I just added that last night as a game I should buy and try...

Thanks your reply, I just might try it.

I love games with guns, but even more I despise games with no story or a story that is three sentences.
This is the reason I can't stand CStrike and such games. Also the reason new Doom although I loved the first game and spent many hours with it decades ago will never get on my PC.
I just don't want 30 years old shit design in new wrapping. Give me a story already! I refuse to shoot just because, I want a damned good reason.

When it comes to shooting and shooters I'm, this sounds totally douche but sorry it's true, I'm kicking everyone's arse. There are several reasons why.
I don't use mushrooms. I don't know what is autoaim and even if I did have it, I can't get past feeling my own reflexes are better than that crap. My monitor is 22inch and can't go over 1080p - I suck in shooters when I play them on big TVsize screen and I bet I'd suck even more if the resolution was overhyped 4K! 4K for an adventure genre, okay, it would be awsome. For shooters, it's someone's horrible idea, find me one "pro" who'll excel in shooters on 4K screen.

If you're anything like me, get FarCry3 as soon as possible. You get guns, you get the story. You don't get RPG, just RPG elements, but noone's perfect.
DX would do the trick if it wasn't dated that much. DX:HR could pull it through if it's (IMO) stealth mechanics weren't more fun than shooting your ways.
FO:NV, FO4 and ME series are possibly the best shooter/story/RPG hybrids that exist (not FO3, sorry, that game is like Skyrim, there's no story). I'm not saying everyone will love these games, it's just that I do. Someone will argue that all of them get too easy midgame/lategame when it comes to combat, but as I said above, noone's perfect.

Swords you say?
Swords are definelty fun, especially in games where your lead has a dash ability so can show those bastards with guns they're nothing.
But if there is no such ability… Rent a movie "Once Upon a Time in China" with Jet Li. The first one. Now please. All I'll say is that I don't want that in my games.

Back
Top Bottom