RPGWatch - Best RPGs of the ’80s Results

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it's time for the results of the poll you guys helped make on XP4T last month.

So, as so often happens when you get a bunch of old-skool gamers talking together about their favorite games, our initial opinion poll on the Best RPGs of the 1980s was inspired by a ‘disagreement’ here at XP4T HQ. But before too much blood was spilled, we decided to settle it like adults (BOOOOOOOORING!) and put together an opinion poll, so that YOU, our knowledgeable, handsome, witty readers could settle the question of which RPGs made in the 1980s were the best. Of course, now that the results are in, some people here are a bit sore (literally), and can’t believe that, for example, Battletech: The Crescent Hawk’s Inception didn’t make it into to the Top 5, but only managed the Top 10. Which is, you know honorable enough *ducks a wild punch*.

Opinion polls are by their very nature fickle beasts. We here at XP4T lay no claim to having created the ultimate list of ’80s RPGs, including every possible game ever made in that period. But nor will we boast of having created a poll that panders to every single fanboy and fangirl out there. We simply wanted to hear what you think, and hear you we did! Around 1,000 of you voted for up to 5 games from the whole list (including the fabulous forumites at rpgwatch.com), from December 2014 until just now, so a very big thank you for making this possible.
Now comes the next part as the site needs your help with a poll for the 1990's so suggest your games here, or on the XP4T website & get ready to vote again.

That’s right ladies and germs, we’re putting together another poll here at XP4T! This time we’re gonna do it right, and ask YOU, our esteemed readers for your input. Below is a list that we’ve wacked together of potential candidates to be the Best PC RPG’s of the 1990’s, but before we open the poll, we just want to make sure that we didn’t miss any. All you need to do is write your suggestions below in the comments section. If the game that you’ve suggested was in fact published in the 1990’s and had a PC release, and is of course a role playing game, then we’ll verify it and add it to the list.
More information.

The votes for the 1980s were about what I expected. The outcome of the 1990s list will be more interesting, I think. (I can more or less guess the top 4, but I may be mistaken.)

Some possible missing entries:
  • Bard's Tale III, The: Thief of Fate (1990)
  • Betrayal in Antara (1997)
  • Darklands (1992)
  • Fountain of Dreams (1990)
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (1991)
  • Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen (1992)
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen (1994)
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (1998)
  • Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace (1992)
  • Ultima VI: The False Prophet (1990)
  • Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992)
  • Ultima VIII: Pagan (1994)
  • Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990)
  • Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992)
  • Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire (1990)

List is already pretty big.

One great game which is missing though is Albion (Blue Byte 1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInYDt9gmJM

Other ones missing are:
Wizardry 6 - 1990
Wizardry 7 - 1992

And while I don't know whether you want to include them or not I will mention these 90s hack and slay games anyways:
Diablo 1 - 1996
Darkstone - 1999

I agree with the winners, but I am happy to see the 90s RPGs now since I have more familiarity with those. Of course, I am sure the top five will inevitably include some combination of Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2, and Planescape: Torment :)

Most of my most favorite 90's rpgs are not even in the list.

Hmm…

Amberstar ?
Legend of Faerghail ?

Edit:
Well I guess even I wouldn't vote for them with Competitors like Torment, Baldur's Gate 2 and the Realms of Arcania Series.

Yet another Edit:
BG 2 was released 2000 ? Wow... BG 1 isn't that good unmodded...

BG1 is plenty good un-modded. I recently spent 100 hours with the Enhanced Edition and it was one of my all-time favorite playthroughs of an RPG.

• Darklands (1992)

If we're throwing Worlds of Ultima on there, don't forget Marian Dreams.

MOAR games for the list....nice!

• Darklands (1992)

Thanks for suggesting those titles!
According to Moby Games, Bard's Tale III was released initially in 1988, so we're regretfully not going to put that on the list.
Betrayal in Antara: ADDED!
Darklands: ADDED!
Fountain of Dreams: ADDED!
Might and Magic III: ADDED!
Might and Magic IV: ADDED!
Might and Magic V: ADDED!
Might and Magic VI: ADDED!
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace: ADDED!
Ultima VI: ADDED!
Ultima VII: ADDED!
Wizardry VI: ADDED!
Wizardry VII: ADDED!
Worlds of Ultima: ADDED!

Albion: ADDED!
Legend of Faerghail: ADDED!
Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams: ADDED!

There was a Spelljammer game!?

So these are release dates according to when they released on PC, right? So Final Fantasy 3 and 4 would be counted as 2014 games?

The Neverwinter Nights of the 90's was more of a proto-MMO, wasn't it, sitting between the old MUDs and Ultima Online?

A couple more for the list:
Syndicate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_(video_game)
Diablo (you really don't need a link)

System Shock 2 came out in 1999 but that's pretty borderline as an RPG.

Also missing is Dark Heart of Uukrul which I was looking for in the 80's list to vote at the top.

I think of it as the last great game developed for the Apple ][.

Diablo? Srsly? I don't know about that. I reckon that's more of a Hack and Slash with a spattering of RPG elements, if anything.
Heck, if enough people really want it on the list, then we COULD add it.
What does everybody think?

Might & Magic 7 was released in 1999 I think, so that could be worth including. It's certainly my favorite M&M game.

Diablo? Srsly? I don't know about that. I reckon that's more of a Hack and Slash with a spattering of RPG elements, if anything.
Heck, if enough people really want it on the list, then we COULD add it.
What does everybody think?

Wikipedia classifies it as an action RPG hack and slash video game. The definition of RPG is a little fuzzy anyway, so I guess it depends on how inclusive you want to be. For example, is DragonStrike more an RPG or a flight simulator? Is your criteria that they be "primarily RPGs"?

Also you included Dungeon Hack. Isn't that one EotB broken down to Hack n Slay?

I think RPGs with Hack n Slay elements should be in the list just for completeness sake.

But as I mentioned before. It might be a good idea to divide the 90s into two sections. The first half of the 90s extremely differs to the second half of the 90s.

Games which represent the early 90s for me are Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, Might and Magic 3,4,5 and so on.

The second half of the 90s is represented by Baldurs gate, Dablo 1 and all the fancy "we want to have 3D in our game" RPGs (Might and Magic 5->6, Lands of Lore 1->2...)

Back
Top Bottom