Shadowrun Returns - GenCon Updates

I hope the actual in-game colors are a lot darker than that.

I also hope that image doesn't accurately represent the camera view/distance in the game. If it does, there better be a zoom feature.

I'm just glad I only donated the minimum. While I like the world concept, there is just so much up in the air that has me ambivalent about the entire project.

I also hope that image doesn't accurately represent the camera view/distance in the game. If it does, there better be a zoom feature.

Agreed, at this extreme distance it feels more like an RTS.

This game better have first person view and they better take an art direction that I want. Period. This screenshot is crap and reading is dumb. I’m going to go break something my parents bought me. Queue someone posting, “you mad brah?” and the internet circle of stupidity will be complete, leaving us all free to play the greatest, most complex, and deepest CRPG ever made by the hands of semi-divine mortals…Skyrim. Ready; Break!

YAH! WE DID IT! YEAH!

Whats all this Shadowrun stuff. I do not remember this game!

Love the graphics but shouldn't they do something legit with it like a D Generation reboot?

They're claiming the art is representative of how the game will look - so it's obviously going to be close to that.

But having a zoom function should be reasonably trivial to implement. That said, I'd prefer a closer view as the default one.

It's still early days - and no matter what they're saying, a lot can change.

I just hope they go for a less bright and cartoony style for the characters.

But it's kinda weird how half the characters in that image are "darkened" and the other half look brightly lit with "selection auras" around them? Maybe it's my imagination?

Doesn't really seem too feasible that there would be any sort of zooming, considering they've said that the backgrounds are hand-drawn 2D (ala Fallout/BG/etc).

Doesn't really seem too feasible that there would be any sort of zooming, considering they've said that the backgrounds are hand-drawn 2D (ala Fallout/BG/etc).

Why would you say that? Zooming 2D backdrops is trivial, technically speaking.

Why would you say that? Zooming 2D backdrops is trivial, technically speaking.
Only if you want it to come out extremely ugly. No 2D top-view/isometric game has ever had a zoom, that I recall? Pretty sure it's for that reason. Instead of zooming, they just show you more or less of the game world, depending on your desired resolution. The pixels are never scaled.

It said the characters are going to be 3d so it is similar to a few other games I have played with 3d characters and 2d backgrounds. The games I have played that did this had a zoom feature (for the most part) and there were no problems. Just remember that computers now can handle much higher resolutions then the computers of 12 or so years ago and so 2d backgrounds can stay good looking while zooming in very close.

Only if you want it to come out extremely ugly. No 2D top-view/isometric game has ever had a zoom, that I recall? Pretty sure it's for that reason. Instead of zooming, they just show you more or less of the game world, depending on your desired resolution. The pixels are never scaled.

No, but you could plan for that by creating big 2D assets and making sure that the backgrounds/characters look great even in the most zoomed in state.

Lots of 2D games provide zoomed views - but obviously it will scale the image. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "extremely ugly" - and I think some people would prefer it to having a distant view.

It's not unlike playing Baldur's Gate in the original 640x480 as opposed to a higher resolution. It's a compromise and it depends on the resolution of the original backdrop images. Some people don't enjoy BG in high resolution because everything looks too small.

If the backgrounds are at 8192 x 8192 resolution or above pretty much whatever zoom amount you have won't make a difference to the image quality. The whole reason why 2d images get ugly zoomed in is because of pixelation that occurs as you move closer to the image and start seeing the individual pixels. The higher the resolution the more pixels are on the screen which means the closer you have to get to see the individual pixels.

Back
Top Bottom