Wasteland 2 - Brian Fargo on development for Wasteland 2 @ GamesIndustry

aries100

SasqWatch
At the Unite conference, Brian Fargo delivered a key note speech about InXiles development on Wasteland 2. A quote on artistic integrity and creativity
"Corporations don't have artistic integrity; people do. This sort of integrity impacts on production and how a property is exploited... There are employees of these organisations that have this integrity, but they don't have the power to do anything about it. "The best creative work we're seeing is from creative people who have the power, or the financing, to control their destinies... These visionaries can be within an organisation: Rockstar would not achieve the level of quality it does if Sam Houser wasn't running that place with an iron fist. He's not a corporation; he's a person."
Thanks GamesIndustryBiz
More information.

But... but... but... "corporations ARE people my friend!"

I think he's a little over-the-top but I'm sure he's suffered a fair amount of frustration in seeking funding.

roqua must have predicted this speech and is the real reason behind him not suporting wasteland 2 on kickstarter.

roqua must have predicted this speech and is the real reason behind him not suporting wasteland 2 on kickstarter.

If I remember correctly he stated he wasn’t preordering because he believed the company inXile was being purposely manipulative and showing a lack of integrity by making it seem like Wasteland 2 would be a TB game. He thinks it is going to be a TB/RT hybrid, which means the combat will be watered down and balanced for RT mode and not good. Since you spend an extremely significant amount of time in combat in these games, having a combat system he does not like and would not enjoy or having a combat system he does like and enjoy is important. Why take the chance when you can wait and find out the truth. I guess we’ll see how much integrity companies have versus evil, people-free corporations.

Oh, and I think he said the money he was going to donate to Wasteland 2 he decided to donate to little sick black babies in Africa. But the corporations will be proud of your choice to greedily spend money on selfish video game products instead of helping the sick black babies in Africa. That was a good call on your part.

Oh, and I think he said the money he was going to donate to Wasteland 2 he decided to donate to little sick black babies in Africa. But the corporations will be proud of your choice to greedily spend money on selfish video game products instead of helping the sick black babies in Africa. That was a good call on your part.

I had a similar thought on my first KS donation, which was W2. Then I came to my senses. Donations are helping people create the product they dream of creating (at least theoretically), be in the line of work they want for months or years to come. It makes it possible for huge crowds to have access to products that are no longer being created. It isn't only about the end product, unless perhaps you stick to the first tier which is basically a pre-order and not a donation at all.

Oh and if he donates to a cause in Africa as a result of the Inxile kickstarter, out of spite, then I say part of the credit for that donation goes to Inxile :)

Last edited:
I had a similar thought on my first KS donation, which was W2. Then I came to my senses. Donations are helping people create the product they dream of creating (at least theoretically), be in the line of work they want for months or years to come. It makes it possible for huge crowds to have access to products that are no longer being created. It isn't only about the end product, unless perhaps you stick to the first tier which is basically a pre-order and not a donation at all.

Oh and if he donates to a cause in Africa as a result of the Inxile kickstarter, out of spite, then I say part of the credit for that donation goes to Inxile :)

I don’t understand what the issue is. If a company isn’t being clear on a vital and major system of the game they are creating, and a possible donator/funder is wary of the corporation’s or company’s integrity, why should s/he donate? To help the dreams come true of the people who are trying to possibly manipulate him or her to increase funding and profit? Where does spite fit in?

And in what crazy world is donating to a videogame on par with helping sick black babies? No one dies without video games, but the little sick black babies will die without our help. Just think of the good we could do if every cent spent on video games went to helping the needy, and every second people spent playing videogames was instead spent creating a better, kinder, fairer, greener, and gentler world. The next time you plop down $60 for a few evenings wasted playing a game that took 30 million out of the mouth of little sick black babies you take a good, hard look in the mirror while listening to “Man in the mirror” by Saint Michael Jackson. Anyone figure out how he managed to have little white babies? That is kind of weird isn’t it?

I don’t understand what the issue is. If a company isn’t being clear on a vital and major system of the game they are creating, and a possible donator/funder is wary of the corporation’s or company’s integrity, why should s/he donate? To help the dreams come true of the people who are trying to possibly manipulate him or her to increase funding and profit? Where does spite fit in?

And in what crazy world is donating to a videogame on par with helping sick black babies? No one dies without video games, but the little sick black babies will die without our help. Just think of the good we could do if every cent spent on video games went to helping the needy, and every second people spent playing videogames was instead spent creating a better, kinder, fairer, greener, and gentler world. The next time you plop down $60 for a few evenings wasted playing a game that took 30 million out of the mouth of little sick black babies you take a good, hard look in the mirror while listening to “Man in the mirror” by Saint Michael Jackson. Anyone figure out how he managed to have little white babies? That is kind of weird isn’t it?

How did this become a discussion about spending money vs. charity? By your logic, pretty much ever single dollar spent by any of us should go to charity.

Edit: I'm also very confused by your views on W2. They made it abundantly clear that the game is TB. I'm not really sure how much more clearly something can be stated. I also don't what else you're going on about. Spite? Integrity? Did inXile kill your parents or something?

Edit: I'm also very confused by your views on W2. They made it abundantly clear that the game is TB. I'm not really sure how much more clearly something can be stated. I also don't what else you're going on about. Spite? Integrity? Did inXile kill your parents or something?

They made it abundantly clear the game would include TB combat, not that it would be TB. There is a huge difference. He didn’t fund the kickstarter because he had reservations, who gives a shit? They obviously didn’t need his contribution to make their goal. What the fuck is wrong with everyone? People are not allowed to think important things to them are important anymore?

Integrity comes into because there is the truth and there is manipulation. You think the game is TB, period. You believe they were clear on that. Time will tell who is right. If you think telling half truths show integrity that is your opinion. Spite was mentioned by others, not me. If the game ends-up being TB only, he'll ahve to eat his words and inXile will get another sale.

How did this become a discussion about spending money vs. charity? By your logic, pretty much ever single dollar spent by any of us should go to charity.

Now I’m a bad person for thinking the little black babies should be saved?

I doubt that killias2 was implying the entire game is turn based. I'm pretty sure most people assume that "TB" = TB combat.

I doubt that killias2 was implying the entire game is turn based. I'm pretty sure most people assume that "TB" = TB combat.

TB like ToEE, or TB like Arcanum? One is TB only the other is a hybrid balanced aorund being RT w/P but has a TB mode if you like wasting time for no reason. Not even close to being the same.

Isn't this an crpg site? I guess playing action games made everyone forget how shit works.

TB like ToEE, or TB like Arcanum?

Turn based as in turn based. People interpretating turn based as meaning exclusively a sequence "I go, you go" are being fooled by themselves, not by marketing language.

Turn based as in turn based. People interpretating turn based as meaning exclusively a sequence "I go, you go" are being fooled by themselves, not by marketing language.

Maybe if this was 2005 I could have this conversation, people people since then have just lost it. Again, TB like ToEE or TB like Arcanum?

TB like ToEE, or TB like Arcanum? One is TB only the other is a hybrid balanced aorund being RT w/P but has a TB mode if you like wasting time for no reason. Not even close to being the same.

Isn't this an crpg site? I guess playing action games made everyone forget how shit works.

I'm talking about combat being some form of turn-based vs the game being turn-based even outside of combat. Is that clear enough now?

I'm talking about combat being some form of turn-based vs the game being turn-based even outside of combat. Is that clear enough now?

Maybe in retardoland, but in actual reality there is a significant difference.

You must have meant there was no discussion to have with you, since you have no idea what you are talking about.

When a game is designed for and combat is built around RT w/P it isn't TB. Period. A game that is designed for TB combat, and combat is built around TB combat, and has no pause function, is what it means for a game to be TB.

I knew what you were talking about, but since I wasn't ambiguous about what I was talking about I don't see how throwing things into the pot that have nothing woth anything has anything to do with anything?

I knew what you were talking about, but since I wasn't ambiguous about what I was talking about I don't see how throwing things into the pot that have nothing to do with anything has anything to do with anything?

I knew what you were talking about, but since I wasn't ambiguous about what I was talking about I don't see how throwing things into the pot that have nothing to do with anything has anything to do with anything?

Of course you did. You just decided to act like you didn't and then reply like an ignorant douche.

At least you're not trying to hide your intentions. I prefer trolls that are open rather than subtle.

Back
Top Bottom