Shroud of the Avatar - Update 5

Obsidian arent exactly Microsoft, or Disney.. or Richard Garriot ;)

Thanks for the info! :)

You honestly think Richard Garriott is the same as disney and microsoft?

Obsidian arent exactly Microsoft, or Disney.. or Richard Garriot ;)

Thanks for the info! :)

I wonder how much all the Ultima's put together cost to make? I wonder how much Alpha Protocol cost to make? I also wonder how much Apple's gross and net is and how much Microsoft's gross and net?

Last edited:
Even if he had enough personal wealth to fund the entire project - it doesn't make good business sense to do that. The Kickstarter is a good way to see what the level of interest is - and then they can budget the project accordingly. Rich people don't get rich by carelessly gambling their money away. Any big game project is a gamble. Look at what happened to Curt Schilling / 38 Studios.

And I'm sure Portalarium is a much smaller company than Obsidian.

Great news! Lord British must've read my earlier posts…
Update #6 is up: The $125 physical tier will now include a collector's box, discs, soundtrack, and printed manual to go with the cloth map… and an old-school trinket to go along with the coin at the $150 level! So, I'll bump my pledge up to $150. :)
Let's hope the Richard continues to listen to his fans, and that the game ends up more SP focused than MP.

Most of this information was actually already on the Kickstarter page from the beginning but people didn't read the whole thing so they needed to make this update.

It doesnt give a very serious impression when he easily could afford to do something like this without KS.. What's next, Disney or Microsoft doing a KS? lol..

Brian Fargo and Chris Roberts are also rich as fuck. Perhaps not as much as Garriott (though who knows ? Garriott it's has as wealthy as he used too since he used the majority of his personnal wealth to pay for that trpo in space). Yet I don't see anyone complaining about them doing Kickstarters instead of funding the game themselves. :p

Also it's not like the money in going to Garriott's pocket, it's going to Portalarium, which is a company he cofunded (meaning he put his own money in it) and a very small studio - much smaller than Obsidian (ie. They have about 12 people in Portalatium since they suffered from layoffs in December)

So basically, I see nothing wrong with him doing a Kickstarter : the point is to allow Portalarium to do a project they couldn't likely do any other way and self public - same as Wasteland 2 & al, really.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts could have managed to find funding for Star Citizen much easier without KS than Portalarium.

-Sergorn

Not really what I am looking for, this is just a small scene, a mini-quest more than anything, nothing about the larger themes. And as an example for choice and consequence it is OK, but not super exiting.
And the limited depth of the described scene reminds me of another worry I had from the gameplay videos - I hope there are many areas that are significnatly larger, and especially, significantly more content rich than this example or the other (haunted house) area shown in the IGN video. These scenes are hardly more than the random encounters in Dragon Age: Origins. The towns look decently sized though, if not very imaginative in their layout. I know it's all prototype stuff, but they need to talk about, or show, what they are aiming for in the full game.

Most of this information was actually already on the Kickstarter page from the beginning but people didn't read the whole thing so they needed to make this update.

Really? Go to the webpage and read update #6… Do you see the bullet points labeled NEW?

Back
Top Bottom