What games are you playing now?

Well, I'm just glad that you and others convinced me to give Starcraft a chance. I had practically sworn off RTS's after my frustration with WC3. A couple of poor feature choices by Blizzard shouldn't ruin the genre as a whole. :)

I'm doing some RTS right now myself, venturing back to early 2000'ish w/ the game Battle Realms. My favorite game-caster Totalhalibut did a retrospective look at this asian-themed rts game, and i just had to try it. It's pretty good so far, I'm liking it. Fun units and innovative. It's hard to get, and expensive because i think it's abandonware. I do however know where to get it full DL w/ expansion for free (not a torrent)

That and trying to stay alive on Dungeons of Dredmor!

Last edited:
Playing KotOR with a few mods.

The most significant is "Brother of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge" - which is a huge mod with additional storyline content. I'm not far enough in the game to actually try this mod - but it's something I'm looking forward to.

Beyond that, I just use a widescreen hack and corresponding UI mod for the higher resolution.

The game is as great as it ever was. I consider it the first Bioware game using this particular formula - which means it was very fresh at the time. It's everything Mass Effect TRIED to be - but largely failed at. Ok, so it's not a "cinematic" experience on par with ME - but that's down to being a younger game that needed to run on the original Xbox. If you combine the gameplay of KotOR with the cinematic strength of Mass Effect - you'd get the perfect sci-fi CRPG, at least to my mind.

Obviously, that's not entirely true - but close enough. It provides enough depth and freedom to match my demands here, and it goes above and beyond in terms of story content and dialogue. It's not a "cerebral" game - but then it doesn't really have to be. It's a Star Wars space opera, after all.

In any case, I'm always impressed with the combined package when I go back to this. Especially when I compare it to the much more slick and cool Mass Effect. Just goes to show what matters to me, and what doesn't.

I'm playing Terraria.

I had always ignored the indie games that you are seeing more and more on Steam. The SNES "esque" graphics on this title and the buzz on various message boards drew me in. And am I glad. I haven't been playing all that long, but it must be worth something considering it's a title that makes time fly by as you undertake seemingly mundane tasks (e.g. I'm mining, which appears tedious, but next thing I know it's been a half hour. Just a little more so I can see if there's any ore over there... Oh no, now it's 1 am).

It was very frustrating at first since there is literally no direction. But thanks to the Terraria wiki you can get a nice tutorial. Even though the game is meant to be open-ended, at least a little help was needed. At least for me.

Anyway, do yourselves a favor, pick this one up. It's only $9.99 US on Steam.

I have shelved Fallout New Vegas, unfinished. I might actually wait to finish the game until all DLC's have been released. According to Steam I have 170 hours in the game, that's perhaps the most I given a game ever. At this point I have done every quest in the game (using a 2nd Character for some "evil" ones). My main character have revealed every marked location in all three areas (including Zion and Big Mountain) and done every quest possible up to where you have to make a decision about what faction you wish to win. I have recruited every companion and done every companionquest to the end (except one, which cannot be done until you begun the endgame). I have completed the content for each of the major factions that you can do without screwing up your relationship. I have found the best weapon in the game for each of my companions. I have 45 skillpoints to having 100 in every skill.

Dungeons of Dredmor is brutal! 2 monster zoos in a row was definitely a challenge, but I've now developed (or "developped" as Professor ChienAboyeur would say) a pretty good strategy for destroying overwhelming numbers of monsters. Namely, using the environmental traps to my advantage. Rile the monsters up and lead them to a spot w/ a repeating-type trap (preferably multiple) on the way to you, that way they have to hit the traps on the way and it softens them up and in rare cases will even kill them. Preferably acid/poison DOT, of course.

Saved my ass on the double monster zoo assault!

It was between Dredmor & Terraria for me. Maybe I'll take DoD for a spin, it's been getting pretty good press and the pricetag is nice.

Was rolling along quite nicely w/ an axe-wielding hero in DoD at lunch, racking up nice loot left and right. Unfortunately, got wiped out by a particularly nasty termite trap, one wrong step and it's curtains!

Great lunchtime game

I have shelved Fallout New Vegas, unfinished. I might actually wait to finish the game until all DLC's have been released. According to Steam I have 170 hours in the game, that's perhaps the most I given a game ever. At this point I have done every quest in the game (using a 2nd Character for some "evil" ones). My main character have revealed every marked location in all three areas (including Zion and Big Mountain) and done every quest possible up to where you have to make a decision about what faction you wish to win. I have recruited every companion and done every companionquest to the end (except one, which cannot be done until you begun the endgame). I have completed the content for each of the major factions that you can do without screwing up your relationship. I have found the best weapon in the game for each of my companions. I have 45 skillpoints to having 100 in every skill.

JemyM, what changed you from being a SpeedRunner to being a Completionist? Welcome to the darkside. ;)

Finally started playing Civilization 5 a few days ago, having bought it for 66% off in one of the many "summer sale" deals. I went in with a bit of trepidation, having heard many complaints about the game, but after spending some time with it, I don't think it's deserved the backlash it has received. I've only put in 15 hours or so, but so far it seems like a very solid addition to the Civ series. The removal of the "stacks of doom" is very much appreciated, as it finally adds some much-needed depth to combat and military pursuits. The Civilization management is still quite meaty, so I'm not sure why strategy fans are accusing the game of being "dumbed down;" I just don't see it as such, personally, and I've played every Civ with the exception of the first one. Diplomacy is about the only aspect of the game that feels under-cooked, but that has always been a disappointing part of Civ in my opinion anyway. I'm certainly enjoying Civ 5 more than I thought I would. Any other strategy fans give this one a go yet?

JemyM, what changed you from being a SpeedRunner to being a Completionist? Welcome to the darkside. ;)

I have always been a completionist. I never leave a game less than 100% completed if possible and frequently check F.A.Q.s to verify I done it all. I do not "speedrun", I just sit 15h in a day.

BG1 atm. Already finished it twice in the last 2 weeks, first as a paladin and then a sorc. Currently playing as a elf fighter/mage. Also playing my paladin through BG2 when I get spare time. Probably getting close to 10 full runs through BG1 since I bought it - good value for money.

My BG1 playthrough as Sorc was a disaster. They just don't learn enough to spells to be useful until waaaaaaay later in the game. I'm currently playing Fighter/Cleric in BG1. This time, I'm actually getting into it. Just cleared Gnoll stronghold and back at Nashkel mines. A question though -- is it worth it changing your NPCs to get more out of story (like BG2) or do they have no/very little affect on storyline?

suffered a painful death at the hands of a pumpkin boss in DoD, so I started playing "Trapped Dead".
It seems like an alright 3rd person zombie tactical rts game, but it has some real problems. Unreponsiveness and clunky controls, stamina that depletes way too quickly, small annoyances like having to put your melee weapon away to open a door (and getting attacked when it opens), and the strange ability for zombies to be able to "smell" your blood when youre injured and show up in packs from miles around to try and kill you, have me dying. Limited ammo means lots of melee, and w/ the clunky controls it can be fairly unpredictable, go into an easy fight and walk away half dead. Also has the dreaded checkpoint save system, so I've had to go back and re-kill whole sections of shambling dead. The style is right, the game's heart is in the right place, it just needs to cook a while longer I think.

There's also none of our beloved "rpg elements" in the game either. Your characters never get any new abilities, they just pick up new weapons and club/shoot the zombies. Despite all this I may try and slug thru it, this game is for hardcore zombie destroyers only tho.

Huh? You must be using the JemyM method. :D

We actually beat it in an hour when we quickran the game with level 8 characters. That is the only speedrun I have done in my life, except for competing with a friend who could beat Leisure Suit Larry 1 quicker than the other. My friend won since I forgot an item. Took half an hour or so.

I don't think there is any game I could enjoy playing in that manner.

Depends on the game. The large RPG's are the only ones that can keep me captured that long and simply remove time all together. There were times in Fallout NV I was going to have to lunch only to find it's 19:00, or going to bed early only to find it's 03:00.

I really do those 100%, except for achievements. I have my own standards what I feel is 100% and not, usually including every possible quest, every unique item, every location visited. Games like Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins and Final Fantasy XII may take 2-3 weeks including all the DLC's and optional content.

Games like Assassin's Creed I and II have made me question my sanity and gave me deep existential questions about my lifestyle and how I use my life, because doing them 100% barely include substance. That was more OCD-like and self-loathing than enjoyment. I need some kind of reward to feel that a task is worth it, and AC2 did offer closure in one subplot if you collected all 100 feathers in the game, but I just hated myself for not going to youtube and watch the scene without the effort. Content like pigeon-hunting in GTA4 is almost sickening that they included. I am glad I avoided that one.

Halo 2 and Tomb Raider: Underworld were games I wanted to beat, but couldn't entertain myself more than a level. So I played them each 1 level a day. Doing a similar thing with Amnesia at the moment (too stressful to do more than 1 place at a time).

I remember going through Keepsake in one sitting. Something with the story that kept me going just to see the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom