Iphone RPGs with depth?

What I dont get is why the iPad still hasnt bcome a dumping ground for old crpg games like the ultima series (spcifically ultima underworld), elder scrolls 1-3, eye of the beholder, might and magic, and other old games redone with a coat of paint over them and interface fixes?

One thing about the iPad is that I could definitely see old achool crpgs working on it even the first person ones better than the iphone, or 3ds and vitas small screens. Do you guysthi k first person crpgs like elder scrolls would work on it or might and magic? We alreadyestablished isometric games like avadon do.

Arena might work. I doubt Daggerfall or Morrowind would happen without a ground up engine rewrite. Emulating a PC for daggerfall is too intense for the hardware, and Morrowind has its own issues. The might & magics should be doable, at least through 5.

But then we're really not helping the issue. Nearly every good iphone/ipad game I have played so far IS a port. The platform needs some good stuff written just for it with a touchscreen in mind.

But then we're really not helping the issue. Nearly every good iphone/ipad game I have played so far IS a port. The platform needs some good stuff written just for it with a touchscreen in mind.

And that is the bottom line. It has been demonstrated that you can charge $10 - 20 for a game and still get some sales ... and it has been shown that you can sell millions of copies very quickly depending on the game. What is less established is selling millions of a $10 game ... but I think that is what is needed to really break through.

RPGs need a (minimum) 2-year dev cycle and significant investment, and I think that is a major stopping point.

How bout you ask Chair Entertainment why they only spent so little dev time making the infinity blade games despite them selling so well and why they cancelled indinity blade dungeons.

Also, what do you guys think of the ps2 port of the bards tale on iPad? I it worth playing?

I was talking about the iPad Mini actually. Its a great product at a great price for just gaming and netflix. Its actually priced just right with the vita and 3ds for the 16Gb. And, yea there are ports but the next jeff vogel games may launch simultaneously on the iPad as other platforms. Also,nintendo seems to be just focusing on ports lately with the new donkey kong country returns game for. 3ds being a port and zelda being … errr read this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542268

Those are sequels not ports. Also SMT games are more complex than those 2.

Also, what do you guys think of the ps2 port of the bards tale on iPad? I it worth playing?

Terrible terrible game. If you are gonna buy it play the old scrool rpg version that i think comes free with it.

Leviathan: Warships also looks at least as deep as fire emblem or the 3ds fhost recon game:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/17/p...iler-youre-gonna-ship-yourself-on-april-30th/

Amd the Xcom game that is coming out will be the exact modern pc game that like still costs $50 and the 3ds or vita will never get it imo. Plus there is an original xcom clone clled cowboys vs cows or something. Also try slitherine's Battle Academy — its a full pc game as well. What i dont get is why apple keeps putting pressure on all devs besides swuare enix to price the games so low qnd constantly offer discounts?

Fire emblem isnt really comparable to leviathan by the looks of it. It is most comparable to the old Infinite space game on the old ds. But by the looks of it it does look very deep. Fire emblem is the deepest strategy game there is even way back when it was on the snes. It considers terrian multiple weapon choices unit types, range, weapon useage etc etc. Closest game to compare in depth is the old Jagged Alliance games. but they arent really comparable head to head. The ghost recon game for the 3ds is terrible btw.

Fire emblem isnt really comparable to leviathan by the looks of it. It is most comparable to the old Infinite space game on the old ds. But by the looks of it it does look very deep. Fire emblem is the deepest strategy game there is even way back when it was on the snes. It considers terrian multiple weapon choices unit types, range, weapon useage etc etc. Closest game to compare in depth is the old Jagged Alliance games. but they arent really comparable head to head. The ghost recon game for the 3ds is terrible btw.
I really don't agree with Fire Emblem being the deepest strategy game there is. It is good, and it is not shallow, but I would not call it the deepest tactical game there is (it is not a strategy game).

Leviathan seem like a slow moving Frozen Synapse mixed with a healthy does of Battletech to me.

I really don't agree with Fire Emblem being the deepest strategy game there is. It is good, and it is not shallow, but I would not call it the deepest tactical game there is (it is not a strategy game).

Leviathan seem like a slow moving Frozen Synapse mixed with a healthy does of Battletech to me.

? How is fire emblem not a strategy game.

? How is fire emblem not a strategy game.

Because what you are dealing with, for the most part, is tactics, not strategy. Fire emblem is a TBT (turnbased tactical), as opposed to turnbased strategy like Civilization. There is no absolute line between the two sides (tactics & strategy), but Fire Emblem is clearly in the tactics field (and Civ in the strategy field).

And that is the bottom line. It has been demonstrated that you can charge $10 - 20 for a game and still get some sales … and it has been shown that you can sell millions of copies very quickly depending on the game. What is less established is selling millions of a $10 game … but I think that is what is needed to really break through.

RPGs need a (minimum) 2-year dev cycle and significant investment, and I think that is a major stopping point.

And I suppose anyone to whom such a cost & development cycle is no problem would see no reason to specifically target the platform. Hmm...We either need a chicken...or an egg. Maybe both. A successful & serious RPG to show the viability of the platform so someone would bother making a successful & serious rpg for the platform.

Have any of you tried lord of midnight on ios yet? It was apparently a dying gift to the world from the original creator. There is also really nothing like it on any platform. It is a remake of a timeless classic and a real rpg at its heart.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...-is-coming-the-lords-of-midnight-goes-mobile/

"Mike Singleton’s 1984 mix of strategy, first-person adventuring and high fantasy (i.e. has elves) was one of the high watermarks of strategy gaming in the pre-PC age, and remains remarkably engrossing even now, although its then-vast map and at the time incredible freedom of movement have been surpassed rather.

RIP Mike Singleton, Lord of Midnight

I wrote about Mike Singleton’s untimely death and the game that had made his name in October, and said of The Lords of Midnight:

Set in the recognisably Tolkienesque world of Midnight, the game pitted the player, controlling The Free (an alliance of humans and “Fey” – in effect, elves) against the encroaching northerly power of Doomdark, a dark lord straight out of the old school. The familiar setting, however, does nothing to capture the experience of playing. Each day, the player moves his forces – originally limited to four heroes. One of these, Morkin, is able to resist the Ice Fear (a debilitating psychic effect which makes lesser allies rout and flee as it, and Doomdark, grows stronger) and destroy the Ice Crown, thus ending Doomdark’s power.

To do so, however, he must travel into the heart of the northern territories, and killing Morkin is a condition of Doomdark’s victory. So, players could either go for the Frodo option, or salt Morkin away in a secure castle and send the other characters out to recruit armies against Doomdark, winning the military victory that tends to elude the forces of good in high fantasy narratives. Or, for the hell of it, do both – the “epic” option.

As a pure game experience, Lords of Midnight remains a masterclass, and a demonstration of what one sufficiently imaginative programmer can do with a solid and extensible mechanic.

If there is a means to play it, it should be played, at least once, whether by emulator, DOSBox or port. Unforgiving, emergent and with an easily grasped ruleset allowing for significant variation in each game, it is strangely both influential and in many ways a path not taken.

tower.jpg

20130226-153112-e1361892806939.jpg

And I suppose anyone to whom such a cost & development cycle is no problem would see no reason to specifically target the platform. Hmm…We either need a chicken…or an egg. Maybe both. A successful & serious RPG to show the viability of the platform so someone would bother making a successful & serious rpg for the platform.

That is what I am hoping for with Ossian.

But I am fearful that the advent of 'fremium' is hurting the ability to produce a high quality and deep iOS RPG. Apparently >75% of App Store revenue comes from 'in app purchases' now, meaning that getting started with a game has an even lower price than the insulting $0.99.

It is like playing Knights of the Old Republic, paying $2 to startand having to pay $2 to get off Taris for Dantooine, then $2 for every other planet as you proceed ... and also $1 for some cool looking armor and weapons packs.

King of Dragon Pass should be out on iOS for a while now

/thread

End thread because of a marginal 15 year old game ported reasonably well to iOS? Um ... no.

Back
Top Bottom