Fallout 4 - Arrives November 10th this year!

Removal of skills would likely be bad. Base building could be good, if done well, and probably not bad, unless it distracts and detracts from other elements.

Regardless, I'll likely buy it, unless the terms of their new sales platform are offensive.

The new platform, however, almost certainly means paid mods. Paid mods = bad, bad, bad. And it's not the cost I'm talking about. It's the deleterious effect on the spirit and scope of modding. I don't want a trash-filled, micro-transacting Google Play store on my PC, not to mention choking the innocence and goodwill out of modding.

Since it's aiming for a November release, i think there's a pretty big chance it will get delayed a couple of months and go into 2016. It happens on most AAA games out there.

Bethesda usually hits its dates. It doesn't announce until it's sure it can make them.

Good to know it has a firm release date now. I was still kind of thinking it would wind up getting released next year. I'll wait, though. It costs $70 Canadian, and that's far more than I'm willing to spend on a game. Here's to the inevitable ultimate edition at a deep discount on a Steam sale several years from now! =p

I have such a backlog of games to play that I might wait for the ultimate edition, too, especially since I prefer TES to FO. But I might cave if everyone raves about it when it's released. ;)

Call me a caveman if you want, but I have only played Fallout 1 and 2.

I looked at the video and got the impression that they changed a great RPG into a FPS.

Am I wrong ?

I hope I am, because I didn't get an ounce of excitement watching that video.

Call me a caveman if you want, but I have only played Fallout 1 and 2.

I looked at the video and got the impression that they changed a great RPG into a FPS.

Am I wrong ?

I hope I am, because I didn't get an ounce of excitement watching that video.
Well if you haven't played the last two games then yes the series is now a FPS/RPG hybrid. Their is a huge market for these type of games nowadays.:)

Thanks for the answer. Is it in the same vein as Deus Ex, or is it more shooter oriented ?
It's more of an RPG then Deus Ex actually. A good example would be a better Skyrim with guns. Others might disagree, but the example above is a good description.

I'm pretty psyched after watching the videos. Looks damn good to me so far and I tend to be mainly a fantasy fan. Love the idea of the pre-war stuff they showed, even if short.

Think the dog and the extensive character customization are my two favorites so far. I can spend hours (usually in games like DAI or Skyrim can spend days) creating a character. One of my favorite parts - all of it though. The looks as well as the stats. Usually looks first then stats over game play.

For me the only real concern was over modding and the .NET announcement. Bethseda is my current favorite gaming company but wasn't happy with the whole modding pay thing. But if they leave Nexus alone then I suppose it isn't the end of the world :p

The new platform, however, almost certainly means paid mods. Paid mods = bad, bad, bad. And it's not the cost I'm talking about. It's the deleterious effect on the spirit and scope of modding. I don't want a trash-filled, micro-transacting Google Play store on my PC, not to mention choking the innocence and goodwill out of modding.

They said the Xbox One will get PC mods for free...I doubt they will charge PC mods for PC users.

They said the Xbox One will get PC mods for free…I doubt they will charge PC mods for PC users.

Guess I missed that part somehow. If that's true, then that's good news They'd have to make their Bethesda.net pretty obtrusive for me to pass on the game, then.

Bethesda.net might just be their DRM. Is it a phone home mechanic every time you launch the game to verify that it is a purchased copy? Maybe.

Not sure what you mean by "for a Bethesda" game. If anything, the company's prior rep has been for underwhelming, behind-the-times graphics using an outdated engine. I'm a little surprised by how little everything seems to have improved since FO3, but that surprise is mostly because they're finally moving to a totally new engine for this one (aren't they?).

Maybe I should've said, "*even* for a Bethesda game? They're certainly not at the top when it comes to graphics but since OB have managed to make me like the way things looked (I was wowed by what I saw after exiting the tutorial "dungeons" since Oblivion, before taking a closer look). This one, however, looks lackluster in comparison to their previous work.

Maybe I should've said, "*even* for a Bethesda game? They're certainly not at the top when it comes to graphics but since OB have managed to make me like the way things looked (I was wowed by what I saw after exiting the tutorial "dungeons" since Oblivion, before taking a closer look). This one, however, looks lackluster in comparison to their previous work.

In regards to visuals, I haven't been wowed by a Bethesda game since Morrowind. That pixel-shaded water was just incredible for its time.

Oblivion looked good, but nothing really stood out to me, and I always thought the characters looked like they were made out of plastic.

Yeah, level-scaling is an easy solution to open-world gameplay, and I don't think the average player hates it as much as most of us do.

I guess you're right. Still it is widely complained about in many forums and I noticed a low of reviews on Witcher 3 took note on the lack of level scaling there. Maybe one can hope for some toned down level scaling at best!?

But there will of course be a mod that fixes it eventually. For skyrim there is Requiem. It took years before it was released though.

To be fair, The Witcher 3 does have some level-scaling, although it's only applied to loot dropped by enemies, and not to the enemies themselves or items found in containers.

Wow, finally it looks like Bethesda will make a good game, that Red Menace looks so much better than anything else they have done! Really looking forward to this!

I'm loving it. I'm one of the few here in RPGWatch (but in the majority all around I guess) who prefer Bethesda over Obsidian. So far everything I've seen makes me confident I'll be more satisfied then with New Vegas. The one thing I'm a bit worried about is level scaling. Any news about that?

I definitely prefer Bethesda over Obsidian as well :)

In regards to visuals, I haven't been wowed by a Bethesda game since Morrowind. That pixel-shaded water was just incredible for its time.

Oblivion looked good, but nothing really stood out to me, and I always thought the characters looked like they were made out of plastic.

Bethesda has to be among the worst in character models/animation at least among the AAA crowd. Don't know why they don't invest in a team that can do it better. Or maybe I do, and that's they can get away with it?

I thought Skyrim was quite beautiful, personally. I thought the animations were much improved from their past games - and stuff like the dragons were pretty amazing.

FO3, on the other hand, was awkward and stilted.

Back
Top Bottom