What are you reading?

Crime by Irvine Welsh. I enjoyed this story, though parts of it were difficult to read (namely the abuse of children by pedophiles and how some parents allow the cycle to continue). I look forward to reading more of his work besides Trainspotting, though I will probably read that sometime as well.

Thanks for the American Gods recommendations. A good book and which was very easy to read, compared to The Master and Margarita. Next in queue is The World of Baroque Music where I hope to learn a bit about the people behind some lovely early music.

I'm on book 5 of the Wheel series. My friends rave about this set of books, but I gotta say for the most part, I'm finding it quite slow. Good so far, but really really slow, overall.

-Carn

You mean the Wheel of Time, Carnifex? You're on book 5 and it's SLOW for you!? Oh man, don't read any further - it gets 10x worse before Brandon Sanderson took over :p

Yeah, that's the series.....after reading Ambercrombie, this book is giving me excuses to NOT pick it up, lol. Ahhh well, a bit of suffering is good at times!!

-Carn

Thanks for the American Gods recommendations. A good book and which was very easy to read, compared to The Master and Margarita. Next in queue is The World of Baroque Music where I hope to learn a bit about the people behind some lovely early music.

Argh ... was offline most of the weekend. Amazon had it for $1.99 adn I managed to grab it, but didn't get around to post it here.

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. More than anything I love the way he writes. He has very good command of English. He is a real wizard with words! I also love the atmosphere he creates, bit like the Gothic games although its different type of atmosphere.

Just started the second book The Wise Man's Fear.

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. More than anything I love the way he writes. He has very good command of English. He is a real wizard with words! I also love the atmosphere he creates, bit like the Gothic games although its different type of atmosphere.

I just started that after finishing Pratchett's Truth.I haven't even heard of Rothfuss before Torment kickstarter but praise from forum members + good reviews made buy it.I am not far into it yet but so far I like it and I can agree with what you said.

Just started the second book The Wise Man's Fear.
Wise Man's Fear is now out in paperback. I bought it and am looking forward to devouring it very soon.

Picked up Memories of Ice, third Malazan volume. After having finished the final Wheel of Time book I was reluctant to go on with even more war stories (and arguably, the Malazan Book of the Fallen is anything but), yet I was curious to see how Quick Ben & company were doing (yeah, so far Quick Ben is my favorite from the bunch ;)). I'm 20% in and I'm finally starting to get a real hang of the Malazan stories.

A lot of stuff from the earlier books, particularly Gardens of the Moon, is finally explained and now makes a whole lot of more sense. And it's fine that way, because it's probably the same for some of the characters.

I've started buying and reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. (..)

I am following Ruth's recommended reading order:

http://beingruth.com/suggested-reading-order-bujold-vorkosigan/
Were you happy with your choice? What would you say to this reading order? It's mostly based on the internal chronology, which was also recommended by Bujold. And it would go nicely with the omnibus editions (plus Memory).

I'm thinking of starting with this work, even though I still haven't finished various other very good series. :eek: (Culture books 4+, Blue Mars, Malazan books 4+, Tawny Man 3, …)

Good question. I didn't follow the recommended reading order on either list exactly. "Warrior's Apprentice" is a great place to start to get introduced to Miles and the setting and the author, to see if you really want to invest in the series. Then, going back in time to get the Vorkosigian / Barrayar backstory is wonderful ("Shards of Honor" followed by "Barrayar"). I'd then just pick up the internal (i.e. storyline) chronology following "Warrior's Apprentice", as there are references to earlier events in the earlier stories.

Although the novel "Falling Free" is the earliest in the internal chronology, it has very little to nothing to do with the later novels. It is a great yarn nonetheless. I'd read it when you want to understand more about the history of the quaddies.

Hope you enjoy the series as much as I did. Great stuff!

Wise Man's Fear is now out in paperback. I bought it and am looking forward to devouring it very soon.

Recently finished Wise Man's Fear. Very good book and writing is still top quality. However its bit slow and I felt some areas drags for no good reason. Part of the reason for the drag is some of the new characters and areas introduced were not very believable. I am talking about the "training session" bit of the story. Still a good book and looking forward to the third.

Recently finished Wise Man's Fear. Very good book and writing is still top quality. However its bit slow and I felt some areas drags for no good reason. Part of the reason for the drag is some of the new characters and areas introduced were not very believable. I am talking about the "training session" bit of the story. Still a good book and looking forward to the third.
Finished it last night. I thought the final 200 pages or so weren't quite up to snuff. The detail and pathos that oozed from the first 900 pages sorta dried up. Seems like something wasn't right. Either Rothfuss ran out of time and had to slap together the ending to get to his planned "location" in the narrative, or they decided the book was simply too long and did all their cutting from the ending, or some such. Still, as second books go, this one was a champion. Very excited for part 3.

So that puts me back into my journey thru Amber. I'll be picking up with book 4.

I am waiting for more free time start Wise man's fear.I completed first book in only few days which is highly unusual for me.Also I have 2 questions.

1.Anyone knows approximate release date of third book?
2.I am not much of fantasy reader can anyone recommend me books similar to Kingkiller chronicles?There is probably answer somewhere on thread but it has lot of pages to search through manually.

I'd recommend David Eddings (Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, Tamuli series) and David Gemmell (Drenai series), nameless. Not an identical experience, but those authors generate a similar warm pathos with their characters. Still heroic fantasy mixed with coming-of-age.

Looks like we've got a bit of a wait for book 3. "Probably 2014" sounds to me like the end of next year at best, and that's for the hardback.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2495565.The_Doors_of_Stone

Thanks for recommendations, I will check some of those very soon.Are they high or low fantasy?I prefer low fantasy but I am not picky.Also I might return to Game of thrones,I finished Feast of crows last year, that would make A dance with dragons next, I like series but it's getting bit too long for my taste.Also I am sad to hear that we will have to wait so long for third Kingkiller book especially since you said that Wise man's fear has rushed ending.

Just finished Apocalypse Z, decent translation of a solid book told blog-style. Looking forward to the sequel this fall. Paid $2-3 for it, not sure how much more I would say it is worth.

I had picked up American Gods for Kindle when it was on a $1.99 sale last month, and am just getting started. So far I'm enjoying it.

Thanks for recommendations, I will check some of those very soon.Are they high or low fantasy?I prefer low fantasy but I am not picky.
Don't know that I've ever got my head around the difference, but I'd say Gemmell would be "lower" between the two.

Also I am sad to hear that we will have to wait so long for third Kingkiller book especially since you said that Wise man's fear has rushed ending.
That's just my opinion of the ending, and I'm not sure it's shared by many. I read a comment somewhere that the entire triology was already complete when book 1 was published and all these delays are just for rewrite/edit purposes. No idea if that's true, but if it is then I suppose it's possible that "maybe 2014" could indicate any time during that year, including early on. I don't put a lot of stock in that rumor, for what little that's worth, so I'm not expecting to see book 3 before Christmas season 2014.

Back
Top Bottom