Neverwinter - Lead Designer Talks Micro-Transactions & Lessons Learned

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamereuphoria has an interview with Zeke Sparkes Lead Designer of Neverwinter. He answered some questions on the subjects of Neverwinter, micro-transactions and the growth of free to play MMOs.

Q: The Foundry has got a lot of people talking within the MMORPG community, how was the concept of the Foundry thought up to begin with?
A: Well, we’ve always loved giving players ways to tailor their experience in our games. We’ve been known for robust character customization and have worked on expanding that into player created missions in STO. When we started working on Neverwinter we knew we had a great opportunity to make the Foundry more powerful and accessible and deliver unparalleled ability for players to create their own stories integrated right into the Neverwinter world!

Q:Micro transactions have been in the spotlight recently, will Neverwinter be pay to win? Or has a balance been struck between free to play players and those willing to invest in micro transactions?
A: We want everyone who plays the game to have a great experience regardless of whether or not they have spent money. Our philosophy is the more people who play the game and enjoy it the more people want to be a part of the world. So we avoid barriers and pain points and focus on making the kinds of things that enthusiasts want to see. If the playing field isn’t level no one is happy so we’re careful to avoid that. You don’t have to spend a dime to enjoy the game or become powerful. In addition to that we have a system where you can trade in game currency to other players for micro-transaction currency so you can actually earn everything in the micro-transaction store without spending money!

Q: How key is the plot to Neverwinter? The MMORPG genre is known for having a tendency for telling weak stories. Does Neverwinter aim to change that stigma?
A: We have a good strong story that serves as the backbone for the entire game. It picks up right where the most recent source books and novels have left off and continues telling the tale of Neverwinter and the surrounding area. You can expect to see familiar faces and locations from the lore that expand on what’s happened.
More information.

Last edited:
God...

I'm not sure what drugs is that man taking but I'm sure NW will have the same bloody pay2win items just like STO does and if the boxes scandal doesn't continue in NW please do slit my throat.

You can trade... You can do the same thing in STO - still someone has to buy the virtual, nonexisting, taxfree, ingame fraud currency first.

Cryptic are the masters of short development times and hollow game design.

NWN is certainly no different.

Q:Micro transactions have been in the spotlight recently, will Neverwinter be pay to win? Or has a balance been struck between free to play players and those willing to invest in micro transactions?
Gee, I wonder what answer the developer is going to give to that question?

"Of course it's pay to win, John. The richest player will have his own castle and be basically immortal. Anyone who doesn't participate in the microtransactions will be stuck fighting Oversized Rat, and losing, indefinitely."

Cryptic are the masters of short development times and hollow game design.

NWN is certainly no different.

True, but not in the case of NW. The game was supposed to be launched a long time ago but thanks to their new masters they gave them time to add content.

Its bizarre they were going to release it early too, considering they went so far out of their way to tell the world they wouldn't do another STO, etc. (see my interview on the game.)

Does he mention here anything about lockboxes? Those should be classified as online gambling and made illegal IMO.

I played all 4 beta weekends and never saw anything that I needed out of that online store.

So far, the hardest thing to do in the game is the 5 man dungeons and you don't need anything from the store to do them. Heath potions and identity scrolls drop fast enough. All content is free so far. I have seen people buying those companions but thats their problem. I bought the guardian pack which is what I would pay for Bioshock or Skyrim or Defiance.

Lock boxes? Just another item you don't need. I guess you can swap the in games currency for items like keys but I don't care. I am just waiting for launch and the wave of Foundy quests.

True, but not in the case of NW. The game was supposed to be launched a long time ago but thanks to their new masters they gave them time to add content.

Its bizarre they were going to release it early too, considering they went so far out of their way to tell the world they wouldn't do another STO, etc. (see my interview on the game.)

Does he mention here anything about lockboxes? Those should be classified as online gambling and made illegal IMO.

I've played it and it's no different in terms of content and features.

It might give a decent first impression due to the entertaining action combat system - but it's supremely obvious to me that it's one of the most shallow MMOs of all time.

Let's see how people like it in a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom