Things you don't need to know...

In the part of the world where pibbur resides it's now late monday morning. The start of a new week. Yay! Endless possibillities. Opportunity knocks. To quote Apone (Alien 2):

"Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps! "

Pibbur is celebrating the new day by listening to every Yers album he has, spin-offs included, while working.

Other things:

Our local football team which in Januray had a very good chance at winning the Norwegian elite football (an by football I mean FOOTball) league, is not doing so well once the matches actually started, so far staying at an unhealthy 0 points.

The call of the White-fronted Chat (male pictured) has been likened to the twang of a rubberband (girl?). (pibbur has not examined the details)

Bibliographer Henry Scholberg chose to participate in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment rather than continue working in a mental hospital. (pibbur has not examined the details)

Stanley Redwood resigned from the position of President of the Senate of Jamaica in order to emigrate to Canada. Pibbur hasn't examined the details, but it seems like a good idea.

pibbur who has decided to stay where it is until the beginning of may when he will be blessing Phoenix with his presence.

Last edited:
Wasn't it David Bowie who sang about the spiders from Mazda?

At least it turns out that there is some concern about Mazdas and spiders, specifically spiders of the Cheiracanthium genus, aka yellow sac spiders. Said spiders are, according to Wikipedia, attracted to the smell of gasoline. And for some reason Mazda is their favourite brand of cars (not mine, I prefer Suzukis and Toyotas).

The spiders are said to be mildly venomous (causing necrosis), but that's not what troubles Mazda. The spider builds their webs in the engines. Which of course is extremely yeeechy if you for some reason need to take a look at what's inside your vehicle. Curiously this is not what troubles Mazda either. The danger is that the web may cause a blockage and build-up of pressure, which can (theoretically) lead to fires. So cars are recalled for a software upgrade.

I have to say, that if I were a Mazda owner, I would be worried. Admittedly the spider's web is about the strongest substance there is, but a spider can only produce so much of it. Still it's enough to stop a ton of japanese hardware. Yes, I would be worried.

More details which pibbur didn't bother to check can be found here: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26921734.

pibbur who (like Drithius, obviously) knows Bowie really sang about spiders from Mars. Not Mazdas. But spiders are yeeeecccchy no matter where they come from.

Unless, of course, they come from Australia!! :)

Don't ozzie spiders have eight legs?
Don't they have a huuuuge thoracoabdominal part.
Don't they have 8 eyes looking malevolentely at you.
Don't they create sticky (yercchy) webs full of invisible horror elements.

Of course they do. Yeeeech!!!

pibbur who expects that most ozzies, due to they irwinish nature, would agree with the pastor. Spiders and australian irwins share another: trait: speaking something few outside Oz would, from the sound of it, classify as english.

A few short notes than might not be of interest:

1. Silver the Hedgehog was originally intended to be orange, but the designers switched to some other colour.
  2. New Zealand judge Thomas S. Weston (not pictured) moved from a bench to a bar, allegedly not while judging.
  3. Bob Mariano was denied from five medical schools and thirteen pharmaceutical companies before starting work, with what?
  4. The first Cassette Store Day was observed as early as 7 September 2013 to celebrate the Compact Cassette music format.
  5. The first Seumas McNally Grand Prize award winner, 1999 indie game Fire and Darkness, was never finished
pibbur who was accepted at medical school, but is uunsure whether that was a good thing or not. Never tried a pharmaceutical company. But has been working for more than 30 years, mostly with anything other than medicine.

Just look at the signs embedded in that article - it's astonishing from today's point of view :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unholy_three.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RedChannelsCover.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anticommunist_Literature_1950s.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

One focus of popular McCarthyism concerned the provision of public health services, particularly vaccination, mental health care services and fluoridation, all of which were deemed by some to be communist plots to poison or brainwash the American people. At times, the anti-internationalist aspect of McCarthyist literature took on an anti-Jewish tone. (See flier at right: Rabbi Spitz in the American Hebrew, March 1, 1946: "American Jews must come to grips with our contemporary anti-Semites; we must fill our insane asylums with anti-Semitic lunatics.") Such viewpoints led to major collisions between McCarthyite radicals and supporters of public health programs, most notably in the case of the Alaska Mental Health Bill controversy of 1956.[44] William F. Buckley, Jr., the founder of the influential conservative political magazine National Review, wrote a defense of McCarthy, McCarthy and his Enemies, in which he asserted that "McCarthyism … is a movement around which men of good will and stern morality can close ranks."[45]"

The Milky Way by EA/Bioware:

me3_milky_way.jpg

Yea, you've seen our galaxy as a spiral shape in so many TV shows and newspapers so… That's how it looks like in reality.

Wrong. EA used god knows how many centuries old pic. Or better said, EA used a pic of a common spiral galaxy, but that's not our galaxy!

In 2005., almost a decade ago, Spitzer telescope provided a new data and shown that our galaxy doesn't look like it at all, in fact our galaxy is special - and has a "bar" in the center!
http://www.news.wisc.edu/11405

Wanna better pic? Sure, let's see what NASA and wikipedia say on this matter:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/gallery/galaxy-location.html#.U1vm3Fdq18E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Artist's_impression_of_the_Milky_Way_(updated_-_annotated).jpg

Games we play are so educational, right?
I guess in Sims 4, Earth will be flat.

The above picture looks very much like the one from SWTOR, the one from/which you can order your starship to fly to. It even has the same angle.

SN 1006 is, as far as Wikipedia knows, the brightest supernova ever recorded by man. It blew up in the year 6194 BC local startime, and seen in (surprise, surprise) the year 1006 earth time (not in Norway, unfortunately) at an estimated visual magnitude of -7.5, about 10 times as bright as venus. According to some sources it was bright enough to cast shadows.

pibbur who can't wait for Betelgeuse to blow up. Or even better, that it blew up some time between 1374 and 1394 AD. Close to 10 million years old, this red supergiant is likely to go nova some time in less than million years. It's companion in the Orion constellation (not exactly, they're more than 200 light years apart), Rigel is also close to termination.

Last edited:
Best reviews ever! Much merriment :D

Some of the customer questions are pretty good too. Like this one

Q:Can I get 535 orders for our Congress?

followed by:

A (seller): Sure. We would be happy to assist you with this. Let us know if you need help ordering.

A (different customer):You should start a kickstarter campaign to fund this.

I have eaten these and the responses do not exaggerate. I was crapping out baby food that had been in my intestines for almost 50 years. If you want to lose a fast 20 pounds, just eat a pound of these suckers at one sitting. You will make the energizer bunny look like a crippled turtle. You WILL keep going and going and going and going.....

After spending a week in Phoenix@AZ where everything is flat, hot and dry (but apart from that quite nice), it's only appropriate to share with you a timelapse video of Bergen, my hometown, which is not hot, fairly uneven and above all very wet: http://vimeo.com/94329612. Warning: there is some Bergen patriotic stuff in there.

After (or before, doesn't matter) you may want to watch Tom Lehrer's little piece about his hometown:

pibbur who personally has experienced few of the details described by the mathematician (who recently - april 9 - turned 86).

PS: The aurora borealis visible at 01:45 is not common this far south. DS.

Last edited:
As a chemist i like lehrer's element song better!

Anybody who does not know it, look it up!

And my kids favorite lehrer song: poisoning pigeons in the park. Hilarious!

Heres a great nerdy song from an Australian (no deadly wildlife mentioned).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom