Minecraft

The wooden door bug is still present in RC2 actually, albeit only w/ double doors. I'm hoping TODAY's (woohoo!) official release is more polished.

I updated yesterday, but haven't played yet.

I ran up a creative world so I could see any new items they added. A few nice changes and additions. Going to have to hit the wiki or the forums to see what a few can do and how to make them. The random villages were all populated that I found in creative. Did find an abandoned mine with a few chests in it on regular game play. Got a lot of nice things fast that way. But of course I died a bloody death and lost it by going the wrong way. :)

Okay, so in snapshot 12w07b I toyed around with spawn eggs and spawned two villagers in my very own, very huge house.
And guess what?
These guys had kids. Tons of them. Now I have to share my house with 20+ villagers of all possible professions ... and when I upgraded to snapshot 12w08a last night, they built an iron golem on my balcony!
Well, after sonny had gone to bed I started to kill off some of the squatters, but once I reached the balcony the golem killed me. Since I was too stupid and/or weak to kill it, I had to stop killing the villagers ... and once the golem had become frindly again, I removed parts of the balcony railing and pushed the iron guy off. Now he wanders my meadows, which is okay for me.
And the villagers ... had kids. Tons of them.

i have no clue what youre talking about, Jaz. Golems? Villagers?

On my phone in a boring meeting, im going to have to check put minecraft tonight, i havent played in 6 mos. Not aware of all these changes!

Well, Minecraft is at version 1.2.3 at the moment. It has villages, villagers, two types of golems, tameable Ocelots that turn into cats ... there was quite an addition of features since it left the beta stage.

Played it all weekend. Went full agricultural this time, i have chicken/cow/pig/wheat farm and wolf pets. It's more difficult too, especially underground.

Havent seen a village yet, need to explore more!

Be careful with the villagers. They tend to squat in your house if it's too close to their village, and before you can say so much as 'Nooooooooooooo!!!!' they dance on your living room table, fall in love, have babies, wash their hairy butts in your kitchen sink, build golems in your jacuzzi and congregate to have black masses in your enchantment studio at night. The next day some fall off your terrace, plunging to their deaths, and the survivors make more babies. I'd love to kill them all just so I won't have to hear them run around in my house at night, but Sonny is strictly against it ("But Mommy, they are sooo cute!") :).

I screwed up big time last night.

This time, I'm going the full agricultural route. I have a full farm of pigs, cows, wheat, chickens. I also have a laboratory downstairs that I'm messing w/ redstone and switches, lava, all that. So I had a bucket of lava on me while i was in the chicken coop, marveling at how many chickens I now have. Theyre the only source of feathers for arrows, so Ive been really concentrating on the raising of chickens and had quite a lot. Key word here is "had"..

So, wheat in one quickslot (for feeding the chickens, makes them multiply) and lava in the other. One wrong push of the hotkey, one wrong roll of the mousewheel, one wrong click of the mouse, I dont know what it was since it was all a blur once the chaos began. Before I knew it, there was a pool of rapidly expanding lava in the center of my coop, and flaming chickens in the air all around me. As if that wasnt bad enough, the fence caught fire and since all my fences are close and interconnected they ALL caught fire, releasing flaming chickens, cows, pigs, everything. On one hand, it was a total nightmare knowing all the effort that I'd went thru to create the farmstead. On the other, I have to admit that it was kinda funny. If I'd only been recording!

So it wiped out pretty much my entire chicken population in one fell swoop, along w/ most of the feathers/chicken that they drop, leaving me with one lone beleagured chicken. Thankfully the idiot cows and pigs were for once smart enough to stay away from the lava and fire, and I just had to round them all back up.

all my fences are close and interconnected they ALL caught fire, releasing flaming chickens, cows, pigs, everything.

That's just beautiful. AHAHHA!

Don't you have plenty of eggs to repopulate though?

This whole thing gives me an idea involving piston-controlled lava gates, a chicken pen, and automatic egg collection. Need to get back to Minecraft... need to find a good server.

No, i have no eggs left because I had just harvested them and thrown them all against the wall, creating a few more chickens. I did get some feathers and hilariously roasted chicken, apparently when a chicken catches fire it leaves a cooked corpse behind. So it saves me the step of cooking them at least.

right now i'm trying to develop a mob-killing device for the front of one of my work station. Mobs always gather on the outside, and I can barely ever get out of there without getting pegged by an arrow, having a creeper igniting, etc. It's in the side of a mountain, and they seem to hang right there along the side. Even when day breaks they seem to be able to survive in the shade of the mountain. So I'm thinking of like a lava-dumping thing, where i have a switch that dumps lava from the top all along the front of the place, roasting the bastards where they stand. I hit the switch again, it cuts off the lava flow and it's safe to walk out.

Bwahahahaha Sammy, now that's great! :D I had The Great Lava Accident in my very first world, so since then I refrained from carrying lava buckets with me. I accidentally dumped some lava in the sea close to my house which resulted in a water fountain, a lava fountain and tons of cobblestone sealing the entrance to my house. Took me hours to get rid of the mess.

I built a working shower with a bucket of water, a piston and a lever - exchange the water for lava and the very simple construction would probably work as an anti-siege machine ^^.

That sounds cool!
I just started experimenting with redstone and levers and all that, havent done anything with pistons. I need to find a good basic guide to it all, there has to be a "Jim's Temple of Minecraft Engineering" or something of that nature out there.

The piston shower:

1) Lever set to state 1: The piston extends into a small 1-block water reservoir built into the ceiling
2) Lever set to state 2: The piston retracts; water starts running
3) Water is running. Happy showering!

If you set back the lever to state 1, the piston will extend into the ceiling again, blocking the flow of the water, and the shower basin will run dry.

Attachments

• pistonshower1.jpg
    pistonshower1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 44
  • pistonshower2.jpg
    pistonshower2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 43
  • pistonshower3.jpg
    pistonshower3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 42
theoretically, lava would not burn the piston. Theoretically...

I'll have to give it a try tonight, thanks Jazzy ='.'=

I had a funny scene with a golem. He was following one of the new "kids" around and had a flower in his hand which he gave to the child. It was so funny to watch.
He was also protecting the villagers from zombies. Not the most effective at it but he does grab their attention. :)

PS @ Sammy there were a couple of good how-to videos on Youtube, not sure if they are there now or up to date but worth a look.

I made a trapdoor in front of my workshop, since they like to sit there and pound on my door and leer at me. It worked! It was hilarious to hit the lever and see the skeleton suddenly drop out of sight!

I need to make it two across, so I can catch spiders as well.

Dont ask me why I have a bed on my quickbar. I'm renovating and experimenting, having fun.

Attachments

• trapdoor01.jpg
    trapdoor01.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 34
Perhaps make a water trap so you can collect the stuff they carry?
And dragging a bed around can be practical.

The lava wouldn't burn the piston I guess, but I'd position the lever on the back side of a lava shower just to make sure I won't get burned when switching it on.

I worked a while on something, but it doesnt seem to work as planned. I have a trapdoor at the front, mob falls in. Then, I have a sticky piston w/ a block attached that's supposed to smash them. Now I tested it on a pig up top w/ a simple contraption and it worked fine, the sticky piston and a simple block of stone killed the pig. Down in the bottom of the shaft i rigged up the same thing, but it doesnt seem to affect Mr Skeleton. Bummed!
Back to the drawing board…

first pic is the levers,left one controls trapdoor hatch, the right one goes down to the mob crusher (or is it a mob tickler?). The other pic, I went down there and wanted to see wtf and there he is, sitting there good as new w/ the thing extended, firing arrows at me. Later a creeper and 2 skels, good as new. Put up some glass to stop the arrow barrage. Worked as planned from a mechanical standpoint at least.

Fuck em, I'm dumping lava on them next. Lets see them live thru that

Attachments

• trapdoor02a.jpg
    trapdoor02a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 30
  • trapdoor03.jpg
    trapdoor03.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15
  • trapdoor04.jpg
    trapdoor04.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: