Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Interview, Screens

What's with the stereotype of Mac users? I know plenty of people who use Macs (my sister included) and they are nothing like these caricatures that some PC users try to portray.

Considering what a bunch of preening, self-satisfied prigs Mac fans are

See - this is one of the reasons I really don't come around here any more. And my first thread participation - a dev I like is making a game for iOS … so let's trot out the typical small-minded anti-Apple user crap. It is an 'insult with disclaimer', and since I have identified myself as someone who plays games on Mac, DS, PSP, iPod & iPad as well as PC … I take it as a personal insult.

Sadly, the admins/editors don't agree with me on this, and have actually encouraged it at times … so I have taken my writing and myself elsewhere. Of course there were other things like the RPGCodex assault where they actively wanted me gone to the point of one person saying they would donate if I left … that combined with other crap like this was pretty much the end.

But that aside, think about it this way - Ossian ended up screwed by Atari with DoD and released it free. They ended up screwed by Atari on MoW, which was supposed to come out before either expansion. They are right to take their own IP position and make a solid effort to establish themselves.

Also, while I have argued time and again that PC gaming is neither dead nor dying, only someone who is delusional would claim it as the largest or fastest growing market - whereas the iOS app market is *clearly* the fastest growing market and is HUGE, with plenty of chances to make a good amount of money with a solid and unique product.

They have made it clear that they will continue to support the PC, as it is their 'home'. So why not support this great developer, and wish them - and people who use the target iOS platform - well, since the success of this venture will likely determine the extent to which they are able to do things for the piracy-dominated PC platform in the future.

Sadly, the admins/editors don't agree with me on this, and have actually encouraged it at times … so I have taken my writing and myself elsewhere. Of course there were other things like the RPGCodex assault where they actively wanted me gone to the point of one person saying they would donate if I left … that combined with other crap like this was pretty much the end.

Mike, I wasn't here when the whole RPGCodex cesspool thing hit, but I can safely say that anyone with half a brain values your informed opinions here. I for one was happy to see your posts again these past few days. It was weird coming back and seeing both magerette and you had flown the coop.

You shouldn't let a few people get you down. There are others here that aren't so …….idiotic is the only word that comes to mind. I know it gets frustrating sometimes, especially since (like magerette pointed out to me) after a while you can pretty much guess who is going to say what on any specific controversial topic. I've tried ignoring the obvious troll attempts, or become a troll myself and stick to helping people out with mods or links (haven't always been successful in keeping my mouth shut though, but I'm trying to keep the ranting down to 2 pages ;))

Anyway, my point is there are still plenty of people here who do ACTUALLY come here for rpgnews or general information on PC gaming. You'll get troll attempts anywhere you go, just don't take the bait. Better yet, just make some smart alek remark and move on without giving it another thought.

Since my sister bought herself an IMac, I can clearly see the difference to a PC. :)

The PC is still kind of … a bureau machine, still, after all of these years, still in its core.
Using her iMac, however, is just fun to me. :)
But it is also a bit different, because it is another world …

But now, since she's moved out into the next town, I can't see it anymore … :roll:

Sadly, the admins/editors don't agree with me on this, and have actually encouraged it at times
I do belief you had most issues with me, so I fail to see the reason to address the entire team.
I disagree with Screeg and think his statement about MAC users is moronic. I disagree with putting labels on Mac users, but I don't think that if somebody dislikes Macs and takes shots at it or makes moronic statements needs to be moderated. The same rule I apply to people taking shots at PCs, Windows, Microsoft and games, to name a few.
Then again you are entitled to your opinion like everybody else is.

Last edited:
See - this is one of the reasons I really don't come around here any more.
Obviously you have to participate where you get the most out of it, but we love you Mike. Please keep coming around. :) Seriously, I've always valued your reviews and comments very highly and the Watch is a little less without your continued presence.

As for the OS flame-war, I'm not touching that with a 10 ft. pole, even if I do have strong opinions. It accomplishes nothing positive.

I do know there does exist an OS flame war. Maybe it is the only thing thatll be eternal on the internet as a whole.

I have my own prejudices against OSses, and I write them down, sometimes, but I'm not flaming. At least I try to.

Anyone who flames is just a symbol of underdeveloped angerness management to me.

As for the OS flame-war, I'm not touching that with a 10 ft. pole, even if I do have strong opinions. It accomplishes nothing positive.

OS discussions are one thing - there is *plenty* of fodder to bash any and all operating systems, and the addition of iOS and Android to potential gaming platforms only increases the breadth of that debate ...

... my issue is when it stops being about the technical merits/demerits of the system and about those who use it. And since seldom does an experienced PC user make a remark about a Mac which doesn't include some implication of users as simultaneously elitist and idiotic ...

That's a cliché, you know ... ;)

Because the Mac was always expensive, the cliché evolved of buyers of it feeling like "elitists" ... ;)

Another author simply put it as this : those who buy a Mac (and the author meant that within the 90s !) were the rather creative ones ... They just wanted to be free from the hssles of a bureau computer like the PC was then, free to have the head free for spending energy elsewhere, but not on the tool ... ;)

The opposite one are what I call the "techies" : "the way is the goal" or so, and that means "as complex as possible", and that is Linux to me.

But I'll stop it here, just before I begin to rant myself ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom