Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Steamworks Enabled

At least we agree on that :)

Out of curiosity - why don't you use the .co.uk site? They sell to Germany as well - and it should be much cheaper for you.

I mostly buy my games boxed from Amazon.co.uk or when they are on sale from the various digital distribution sites. The reason I use steam that much is because they have good sales, a lot of indie titles (which I like buying in steam because I like the client) and because some games come with steamworks DRM (Fallout New Vegas, Shogun 2, etc).

I don't really feel any need to defend steam itself, the platform has a lot of problems. But it is in my opinion the best client based DD shop. And I just like the fact that I can install steam on any pc I like, download my games and even play the same save games anywhere in the world without any hassle and that I have a lot of games in one simple client where I can download them without any problems. I had hope that Impulse would become a similar good service, but the client sucks. And let's not even talk about that stupid GfW Marketplace (I recently downloaded the AoE Online Beta and dear god, what a nightmare).

Since I'm at work now I don't have the time to do a thorough comparison, but at a quick glance both Steam and Gamersgate have a similar pricing of various AAA titles (Shogun 2 49,99€/49,95€; Two Worlds 2 39,99€/39,95€; Just Cause 2 19,99€/19,95€; Assassin's Creed Brotherhood 49,99€/49,95€).

Why you should use it? No idea, actually. That's your decision.

Why I like steam? I like the client, the sales, the community features and the overlay mode for games. And honestly, I don't buy games on steam unless they are indie/not easily available or on sale.

Which Gamersgate site are you looking at? Is there one that has stuff priced in Euros?

I always use Gamersgate.com and using your examples:

Shogun 2
Steam: €49.99
GG: $49.95 = €35.

Just Cause 2
Steam: €19.99
GG: $19.95 = €14

Which Gamersgate site are you looking at? Is there one that has stuff priced in Euros?

I always use Gamersgate.com and using your examples:

Shogun 2
Steam: €49.99
GG: $49.95 = €35.

Just Cause 2
Steam: €19.99
GG: $19.95 = €14

As I wrote in one of my posts I use the German Gamersgate site to compare with the German Steam offerings.
And if I go to gamersgate.com I get all prices in euro, not in dollar.

edit: German Gamersgate is a bit of a misnomer. I use gamersgate.com but they determine my location based on my IP.

Huh, weird. It all stays in dollars for me. Maybe I have something turned off or set wrong and they don't detect my location.

Ah well, seems like it work sout cheaper for me this way.

its funny and another reason to hate me but gog is probably the only site i don't own a substantial library of games on, not even one. why? because i own nearly all of the ones that interest me, though i do concede the extras and support, and reviews they have a nice bonus.

GOG is great to me for two reasons: 1) I was a more social and busy person when those games came out, meaning I missed a lot of classics. 2) For some games it's worth $5 or so to have an easier install process... no disc-swaps, DosBox setup, etc..

I will admit GOG has limited appeal though. Mainly what I love about GOG is the same thing I like about Gamersgate: you buy games, they're listed on an account page, and then you just download exe files. No client, no "community features," no fuss and no muss as they say. People are different though, some people love Steam for the exact things I dislike it for. World is funny that way.

Back
Top Bottom